Aftermarket speakers for the Mazda CX-9, what have you done?

:
08 CX-9 Sport
i don't mind the sound of the stock system, its just the lack of volume it gives before i notice some clipping (distortion). i'm hoping a set of aftermarket speakers will bring more clarity and volume before becoming distorted from the stock head unit (non-bose).

what have you used? and are you happy with the results?

also i'm thinking about a 10" sub in a small box.... hope i'm not the first.

Al

I for one am not happy with Mazda's choice of speaker or as a matter of fact their lack of speaker insulation in the 2007 model door is worse. An all weatehr speaker should have been cosen.

If you pull apart your door and remove the speaker, you will see a foam rim on the top part of the speaker that covers any water from dripping directly on it. That said it does not stop water from being drug into the inner door and humidifying the speaker. There is no vapor barrier on the door to cover the back side of the speaker and the speaker is make with a paper cone. Thus any build-up or accumulation of water in the door will cause the paper cone to warp and distort the sound. I was able to open the dust cover on the back of the speaker and place a wooden spacer in between the paper layers to stop vibration, but alas that has come loose and now I have a vibrating wooden spacer.

This said, if I am going to tear my door apart it will be to replace the current speaker, oh and BTW the speaker uses a proprietary connector. I would have to figure how to cut and modify the connector for adaptation to a different speaker.

i'm not worried about the connector when the stock speakers go away... its just two wires so a little snip and crimp to the female end of spade terminals is the plan.

luckily aftermarket speakers are pretty durable around water/moisture.

Al

so has anyone changed the stock speakers. I am envious of you bose equipped niners out there. My Grand Touring is nice, but the stock non upgrade stereo is a bit behind times, im hoping upgrade speakers will bring some performance out....

the bose are crap. They sound muddy as hell. I replaced mine with infinity kappas. Adds more detail to the mid and treble. I don't care much for the bass, it is way over boosted and annoying. I have to dial it down two notches to make it sound more normal.

I'm also interested in replacing the stock speakers on the Type A audio system of my GT. I'll probably just do the front and rear doors. Does anyone have good DIY instructions for removing all 4 door panels?

I have only removed the front door panels to try and make repairs to a warped Bose speaker it is quite easy.

1. There are 2 bolts and a screw that hold the door on. Pull triangle plastic piece off in upper right hand corner of door...see screw. Pull the panel off near the inside door handle..see bolt. Pull the trim, silver in my case, off...see bolt.
2. The rest of the door is held on with plastic fasteners so find a good spot on the door and pull up the edge and work the door panel off.
3. Next disconnect the 2 cables for door opener and door lock mechanism. They are snapped in place and the head that holds them on just needs to be rotated 90 degrees and pulled up and out.
4. Next you will need to disconnect 4 plastic electrical clips. 3 have press tabs and pull off, one I had to insert a screw driver in to the top of the connector to get it to release. Viola you are done.

You should see your speaker in the door held on with 4 screws. Pull it out and disconnect the plastic connector. Note lack of door vapor barrier and cheap paper wafer construction of speaker.

OK, so who has replaced their Bose speakers. I have a warped/defective woofer in the driver side door and am looking to replace it. I am thinking on replacing the driver and passenger front woofers. Any ideas?

I just installed these Infinity Kappa's (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) in the front doors of my new 2011 CX9 Touring. They have inline crossovers and adjustable tweeters. The instructions above were great for getting the door panels off. I did break the clip on one of the inside mirror covers though. So, if you're doing this, be sure to pull from the top and not the bottom! The stock stereo and speakers are definitely lacking. Sounds way better with these installed. Considering the time and money invested, I would definitely do it again. Rear speakers next...

I think the stock bose is just fine except for the frequency cutoff on the sub. Turn the bass up and all the sudden it is booming when it hits certain low frequencies, so you are constantly trying to chase the frequecy, depending on the music you are listening to. My personal taste for subwoofer frequency extends higher than 10mhz (exagerating...a little) Just wish the sub was responsive up to a little higher frequency than it is currently set at.

I think the stock bose is just fine except for the frequency cutoff on the sub. Turn the bass up and all the sudden it is booming when it hits certain low frequencies, so you are constantly trying to chase the frequecy, depending on the music you are listening to. My personal taste for subwoofer frequency extends higher than 10mhz (exagerating...a little) Just wish the sub was responsive up to a little higher frequency than it is currently set at.

I agree, but the speaker in the driver side door has gone to poo. Since I have to replace it I might as well make it a pair replacement.

I tend to believe that the bass is not entirely handled by the sub. The stock speaker is an 9"(think size is right) woofer itself. When I send sound to the rear only, or disconnect the front door speakers, the bass is reduced dramatically. Also whe I turn down the bass using the head unit, my defunct speaker stops rattling.

By the design of the Kappas I am suspect that they will not replace the current woofers well.

Last edited:
I ordered the infinity Kappa 682.9cf speakers and am not really happy right now. They are a 6x8, which are supposed to work well with the CX-9, but are too small to fit the bose speaker hole. Really a 6x9 would have worked I think. Anyway now I am having trouble figuring out how to wire the speakers. I metered both wires and am getting positive voltage. I then checked the original speaker posts for continuity and get continutiy on any combination of post. So please help. According to what I can make out from the factory clip, the blue wire is possitive and the purple is negative. If I hook the infinity speaker up the sound is way less than from the bose woofer. Any suggesttions?

edit: Blue wire with stripe is + purple is -. Ithink the issue is with the 2 ohm (4 ohm) true whatever that means) as the head unit is 1 ohm. not sure impedance matches. The 682.9cf speakers with crossover are weak. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Okay, I'll take a different tactic. Anyone that has taken out the Bose front door woofers PM me if you wish to sell them. I need a replacement for my defunct one.

I added an amp, capacitor and subwoofer to my current bose system and replaced my head unit, replacing the head unit is the only way you can add subwoofer and have bose system still intact, and yes my bose subwoofer still works but does nto cut off anymore

2008 Touring with non-Bose stereo -- are there speakers in the way back?

Hi all -- just got my CX-9 (2008 Touring AWD) the other day and this board seems like a great resource. Anyway, here's my first post. My CX9 has the stock (non-Bose) stereo system and while it's OK and I'm not an audiophile, I do need to rock out every now and then and I don't think the existing stereo will do the job. I'd like to upgrade without breaking the bank.

Question #1: I think I only have 4 speakers in the car -- front doors and rear doors -- but it looks like there are grilles in the way back for another pair. I'm guessing that with the Bose system, there is an additional pair of speakers but not with the stock system. Is that correct? If so, could I simply add a pair of speakers back there? Is the wiring already in place for me to do so? Would my existing head unit support those speakers?

Question #2: has anyone replaced the stock speakers but not the head unit? If so, has performance noticeably improved?

Bottom line is that I'm wondering whether I can simply add a new pair of speakers in the way back (giving me 6 instead of 4) and/or replace the existing speakers and thereby improve my system without replacing the head unit.

Thanks and happy motoring! I love the car so far.

I'm soon going to be installing a whole new audio system in my wife's new '11 Grand Touring. The stock is okay...but it's nothing to be excited with. We traded her CX-7 that had a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT nav unit, JL Audio C5 Components in front, JL Audio TR coaxes in the rear, JL Audio XD700/5, and a Single JL 10W3v3 sealed box. All this is going into her car as soon as I can get the time. I have to install her Viper Alarm/Remote Start first....so the system doesn't go anywhere. I'm also waiting to install a similar system in my '10 Mazda6 but with the HD900/5 amp and 13TW5 sub and full custom box and amp rack. So much to do...so little time.

Back