Aftermarket Intake Pieces of Crap...rant

ok,

i recently bought a used p5 and it came with an aftermarket intake. just yesterday the car started to idle weird and eventually the CEL turned on. it gave me the P0171(running lean) and P0300 (random misfire) codes. i automatically assumed it was just the egr valve but also thought it was strange that it was running lean.

i decided to start with cleaning the egr since it was the cheapest fix. while i was disassembling parts to get at the egr, i noticed that the intake connection to the throtle body had fallen off. that explained why i was getting the running lean code. great news because nothing was actually broken, right? that's what i thought until i noticed another piece of rubber sitting inside the entrance of the throttle body. it didn't seem right so i yanked it out. it turned out that the piece of rubber was for adapting the diameter of the throttle body to the diameter of the rubber intake fitting. it was very close but i was super lucky the rubber fitting didn't get sucked into the engine.

these aftermarket intakes are pieces of crap. they are poorly supported in the engine bay, hence why it fell off to begin with. someone installed the piece of junk to gain a couple horses but the awful design came pretty close to destroying the engine.

Yeah, read any threads lately where the oem rubber snorkel cracking & giving same codes? Anything is a POS when haphazardly installed or when age attacks. Fix it, support it correctly, check it on occassion & make sure connections are good. When cars are treated like disposable they don't last long. There is s*** under the hood that is user serviceable & needs attention. Keep on top of it & it'll be good.

Last edited:
Back