Aftermarket Backup Camera with Mazda OEM Screen

Has anyone tried this 'OEM Integrated Backup Camera System' from emeraldintegrations.com? Not a bad price if it is good quality and plugs right in.
http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/car-safety/mazda-cx-5-oem-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html

Actually, this may be the same thing on ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mazda-Backup...850051?hash=item27e1f7fc03:g:aHcAAOSwhkRWeYwe

I have also seen a few camera systems for sale that mention 'dealer activation required'. A shop nearby also mentioned that there might be some dealer activation required when hooking up to the head unit. Hss anyone encountered this?

Wow both of those prices are pretty ridiculous. Those kits include cameras that can be had for less than 30 bucks on ebay or amazon. The little 4 pin harness is handy for an easy install but not worth the $$$

The mazda does not need activation. When in reverse, it will switch the screen if it sees video signal input.

Some brands like Chevy, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, and Ford need programming to tell their units that there is a camera installed.

I getting a bit confused here with what I need to build my own kit, specifically the camera. Ebay has mostly 12V cameras, some are 12V+/-10%, and I can't tell if they come with all the wiring.

I want to run the power off the radio not splice wires in my trunk. Can someone who has completed the install provide some current ebay links to the parts that are compatible and required? That would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
I just finished installing my back up camera thanks to this thread. Total cost was about $20 for the camera plus my time to install.
Just wanted to know which view others prefer for their back up cam. When I first installed it, the view on screen was flipped as if I was looking out the rear view window. That confused the hell out of me. I prefer the view as if I was looking at the rear view mirror on the front windshield, which I think is how it is on the OEM camera. I have driven other vehicles with the OEM integrated back up cam and that is how they were set as well.

Which way do you prefer?

New question.
Does anyone else have to constantly reset the headunit for the reverse camera to be detected? On startup, sometimes the camera is automatically found and it works perfectly. Other times and more frequently, i must do the reset procedure to get it to work. At first, I thought it might be a loose wire connection somewhere, but after a reset it doesn't fail. It's just if I shut off the car then start it up again, I must do the reset again.
I wired the power wire of the camera to a switched 12v (from the rear wipers) instead of the constant 12v of the tailgate light. Could this be my problem?
Thanks.

Hello Mazda247

I bought my backup cam from here http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/car-safety/mazda-cx-5-oem-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html.
I installed it this past weekend and it was pretty easy process. I used my backup light to power on my camera so once I'm in reverse it powers it on. my issue is similar to ZeroR when its not powering on.
When I start the car and wait for the Mazda TomTom display to display the backup camera does not work. If I turn the car off then start it again put the car in reverse just as the Mazda display shows I can get the camera to work. I'm not sure what the problem is. I checked my wires/connection and I'm confident they are good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hello Mazda247

I bought my backup cam from here http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/car-safety/mazda-cx-5-oem-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html.
I installed it this past weekend and it was pretty easy process. I used my backup light to power on my camera so once I'm in reverse it powers it on. my issue is similar to ZeroR when its not powering on.
When I start the car and wait for the Mazda TomTom display to display the backup camera does not work. If I turn the car off then start it again put the car in reverse just as the Mazda display shows I can get the camera to work. I'm not sure what the problem is. I checked my wires/connection and I'm confident they are good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

In addition to needing 6v as pointed out, the camera needs to fully power up and be sending video prior to the infotainment brain checking.

To explain, when the radio starts powering up, it checks to see if it sees video signal on the camera input wires. If it is there, it enables the camera feed. If it is not there, it assumes there is no camera and disables camera functions. It does this check on a cold boot.

I tried several power sources and ultimately ended up using the 6v supply out of the radio. Any other supply was unreliable at getting the camera powered up in time.

Thanks for the quick reply,

The Camera that I bought is the Sony CCD HD it indicates that it runs on 12V dc. I'm thinking that the reverse lights are 12v so its why I connected to it. I did not test the backup lights to see if its 12v. but your explanation on how the system starts makes a lot of sense . I will find a constant feed of 12v to hook up my cam. I'm sure that will fix my issue. I will try this and report back on the weekend.

Thanks again

Thanks for the quick reply,

The Camera that I bought is the Sony CCD HD it indicates that it runs on 12V dc. I'm thinking that the reverse lights are 12v so its why I connected to it. I did not test the backup lights to see if its 12v. but your explanation on how the system starts makes a lot of sense . I will find a constant feed of 12v to hook up my cam. I'm sure that will fix my issue. I will try this and report back on the weekend.

Thanks again

Didn't you say you bought an OEM cx-5 camera? If so, it is most definitely 6v. If not and it says 12v, then yes, the backup lights are 12v and would be fine if not for the requirement of being powered immediately.

As for constant, I wouldn't recommend hooking it to a constant source. I don't know how much the camera pulls but I suspect it might be enough to drain your car battery. Hook it to the switched ignition line or something. I have read others using a constant 12v but running it through a 6v relay switched off of the radio camera power lines.

Oh, you have a pre 2016 model cx-5? I don't know the voltage of those. I was talking infotainment 2016+ models.

Cx-5 since 2013 features 6V reverse camera.
6V is output from headunit
You can use 12V aftermarket camera but you will have to transform it into 12V or get any other constant 12V signal.
Camera should be constantly powered on and it is switched onto the headunit when reverse after receiving signal from can bus

Enviado desde mi D6603 mediante Tapatalk

Cx-5 since 2013 features 6V reverse camera.

Camera should be constantly powered on and it is switched onto the headunit when reverse after receiving signal from can bus

Enviado desde mi D6603 mediante Tapatalk

To be clear, by constant, he means switched by the accessory circuit of your car. I again caution you to not have the camera pulling current when your car is in the full off position. I suspect it will cause you headaches especially as your battery ages.

To be clear, by constant, he means switched by the accessory circuit of your car. I again caution you to not have the camera pulling current when your car is in the full off position. I suspect it will cause you headaches especially as your battery ages.
Totally agree.

Enviado desde mi D6603 mediante

Last edited:
Hello all,

Just so you all know I have a CX5 2013 model.

I couldn’t wait for the weekend so I worked on it last night. It was mentioned here to hook up the camera to the brown wire that’s for the back-windshield whippers. When using my volt meter, I noticed that it was a constant 12v even if the car was off. I didn’t like that because possible battery draining. So, I then thought to hook it up to my tail lights. Problem with that is I didn’t want to depend on leaving the light switch on the on position.
I ended up receiving an email from the place of purchase and they cleared things up, they recommended to hook up the red wire from the harness to the camera power, the power will come from the monitor (radio). Honestly their instructions that where sent where not clear at all, in mentioning that the power is coming from the headset, and to hook up the red wire from the harness to the camera power. Maybe a miss reading from me on how they explained it, never less the camera is working like a charm.

Thank you all for your help.
Now for the Navigation issues………

Hi Lads, searching In aliexpress I have found that apparently the nb1 multimedia has a trigger pin to switch on the vdeo input. Please see the attached picture. Someone have tried to use this input before?

CU!

HTB1rdanNpXXXXX2XpXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was having problems installing a 3rd party backup camera to my 2013 CX-5 so finding this thread was a lot of help. I ended up buying the NATIKA 720p camera on Amazon and used the harness to OEM radio adapter. At first it worked with power straight from the harness but after a few hours it started getting a blue screen to eventually not turning on at all when placed in reverse. I followed the suggestion to power from the rear wiper and worked instantly.

Below is the camera I used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

hZo9UWn.jpg

Last edited:
Back