Adios WRX, hola EVO VII

311Mazda

This isn't really a rumor, I read it in the FEB. Issue of Motor Trend magazine, but they say they are going to import the EVO VII to the US. And not only is that uber-bad ass, but it will pretty much be the japan version, 280 HP and all. Not watered down like the WRX we got. Oh and I guess it will only cost around 30k? That's one hell of a good buy. You may all now begin drooling.

Oh trust me...I've BEEN drooling!! I don't know how much longer I can wait for the damn thing! As far as I know it MAY come over as early as fourth quarter next year. 0-60 in about 4.7 seconds and a high 12/low 13 second 1/4 mile time! STOCK! This car is mean! I hope they stick with the idea of bringing it over unchanged. I hope we don't lose too much power when they start messing with the emissions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

311Mazda said:
This isn't really a rumor, I read it in the FEB. Issue of Motor Trend magazine, but they say they are going to import the EVO VII to the US. And not only is that uber-bad ass, but it will pretty much be the japan version, 280 HP and all. Not watered down like the WRX we got. Oh and I guess it will only cost around 30k? That's one hell of a good buy. You may all now begin drooling.

if you want rumors: the 280hp is supposed to be an UNDER-rated power figure. most accept the Evo to be pushing 320hp. so even if they detune it a little to meet emmisions, it will still probably be easy to mod for 300+hp. and the last i heard, the Evo meets current emmisions regulations, they are only working on a way to package the intercooler and bumper to meet crash worthyness and insurance regulations.

BRING IT ON!

Yeah actually I was aware of that delightful fact. Apparently a lot of the high powered cars only claim 280 HP to satisfy the Japanese Street legal limit. Cars like the EVO's, WRX, Skyline GT-R and such have had over that number for years. Cool huh? I think the only instance of that in America is with Camaros and firebirds. They say the HP is less for insurance reasons and stuff... :cool:

You guys are all absolutely correct. In fact this is the first thread i read that has no bulls***. The evo will be in america under limited production like our mp3's. Also the car is to cost around 30 thousand.

It's nice that the EVO is coming to the US, but it won't have 280 hp, nor will it be in the same price range as the WRX. So it won't be in direct competition with the WRX. I believe that the sources were saying that the EVO would be in the 260hp range. Gotta love the EPA, they like to water down all the Jap models before they get here. Personally I'd take the WRX STi over the EVO.

WRX STi
sub0112171ahi.jpg

Lancer EVO
E7_yellowj2.gif

Unfortunetly, I believe APEXistud is right. The latest issue of Car & Driver report that the Evo will have "about 250 hp" due to a different intercooler and such. That REALLY blows. I believe it was Motor Trend that said that the hp figures of the Japanese Evo was understated. (closer to 300 hp like njaremka said before) If this is true, the fall to 250 hp is going to dramatically effect performance. Man I hope this isn't true. They did say that we may see them as soon as Spring 2003 though. At least that's good news.
As for not being in the same price range as the WRX; I've been hearing the exact opposite. I've read that Mitsubishi is bringing the Evo over specifically to battle the WRX; and that the WRX's stellar sales was the main motivation to bring it over. Cosidering the two cars similarities, it makes perfect sense.
However, you may be right about not competing with the current WRX. Maybe the price of the Evo will compete with the soon to be produced WRX STi. Hell, who knows. All I've been hearing about the Evo coming over unchanged seems to be false. Only time will tell. Oh yeah, I'd get the Evo rather than the WRX STi. I think it looks somewhat better. It reminds me of my MP3 a little. (Even though the STi looks like it will be slightly more powerful than the EVO.
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! :p

Speaking as a WRX owner I say to each their own. I like the looks of the EVO and the WRX(kinda). I hate the stupid neon-look-a-like headlights "hi" but I'm changing that. Anyways, I'm happy with the car, it handles good on the road and off (not by choice, damn ice/slush!) The MP3 does out handle my car but hell, I have like a foot of frickin wheel travel, and yes i have gotten them off the road at that. You can make any car fun, it's just different driving styles. I don't know but I'm sure the EVO will handle a lot like the WRX, probably a little better (not as much body roll) but I'm not sure. Oh, and for the WRX being watered-down, maybe it is but I can still out run all the rice-racers around and some of the Mustangs/Camaros/Firebirds... not that my car is that fast, just that the other drivers don't know how to drive their cars :) Just my 2 cents worth....

hmmm...true but i believe they will be bringing over the STI version over. And the wrx still is nice in itself although it is watered down quite a bit. And plus, im sure if the demand for the evolution is high, they will surely jack up the price on it. I would love to have the new evolution, its beautiful! but its way out of my price range, and it will be for those spoiled undeserving brat kids and then i would just get pissed off. I'd rather the evolution be left in the hands of real enthusiasts, instead of wanna-be rich kids that are just following the trend. So take your pick!

Unfortunetly, there is ALWAYS going to be some stuck up rich kids getting an expensive car. No matter what kind of car it is. (Man I am SO jealous. I guess that's one reason why I get so mad) Everyone who doesn't know me thinks that exact same thing about me because of the fact that I'm 20. What they don't know is that I have my own Landscaping business and I work my friggin ass off. s***, oh well. That's just the way life is.
As for the Evo just being in the hands of real enthusiasts; only in a perfect world. Considering that there is only a handful of real enthusiasts buying cars, compared to the rest of the buyers, that would be bad for business. Mitsubishi and Subaru might not have brought the cars over if they knew only a few hard core enthusiasts would buy them. As much as I don't want to admit it, those individuals helped the Evo come over. I am more than willing to deal with a bunch of brats to get my hands on great cars like the WRX or the Evo. Besides the fact that I'm going to empty my bank account on performance mods, hopefully blowing the doors off of a few rich kids in the process. (Don't mind me, I'm just venting) My fingers are STILL crossed. ;)

yeah i know! all i can do is blab on and on about how it is unfair. I would like to see the evo on the street definitely regardless if im driving it or not. Hmm...maybe if i pray hard enough one may just appear in my garage! hey man, im crossing my fingers too!!!

who cares about the evo having 250hp atleast there bringin one more jap only car over! Fortunatly for us there is something called an exhaust and boost controller!!
Example the WRX US spe has 237hp and the jap spec is like 280 or something but both cars have the exact same internals, compression ect....whats the difference between a jap spec WRX and US? Nothing really that you could not change. The turo internals are slightly bigger and the jap runs 18psi vs US that runs 14psi. So all u have to do is rework or replace the turbo and boost your car 18psi thats it!!

Slight correction there, the US WRX has 227. The main difference between the STi and regular WRX besides visual accesories is the 6 speed gearbox and Variable Valve Timing which gives it more power on the higher part of the revband. Oh and a little better gas milage. hehe:)

there is a STI coming to the US its gonna be here the same time as the EVO... and the EVO isnt going to sell for 30k bids here in Ann Arbor are in the 60's now... i just talked to the mitsu dealership friday.... there are going to be 1800 here in the US every dealership is getting at a minimum of 2..... then the others are going to the high volume dealerships....

I meant 227hp sorry! But I am comparing the JDM WRX that is not an sti with a US spec WRX. The sti is a whole different ball game.:D
Nice pics Apexistud

I have a feeling that the EVO will be in the upper 20K range just becuase Mitsu doesn't want to kill sales of the eclipse, which is in the lower 20s.

I'd go with the STI over the EVO (personal pref).

Nissan is bring a skyline to the US too, but it'll be a 4-door sedan; nothing like R34 skyline that will destroy the STI and EVO.

This new "Skyline' is a huge disappointment. 260hp is great, don't get me wrong but this is N/A right? The 350Z will have the same V6 engine but it will probably be turbo or TT. This car is a big old sedan. Reminds me of a Maxima. Like other luxery cars, only the automatic is offered.

I doubt anything like the R34 GTR will ever come to North America. :( Since it would cost at least $60-$80K, I don't think Nissan would bring it here. Time will tell but in my books, THAT is not a Skyline.

Back