Add me to the blown motor list...

deckedoutmp5

:
02 MP5 #3256
Long time since I have posted... I feel like a protege board virgin again. Anyways, rod flew out. You can see through one side of the block to daylight on the other side.

Found out actually from Mazda that the rod bolts were almost recalled since they are weak. They didnt break but through the cap, and all my friends FSDE motors did the same... so yeah they should have recalled them. Rods held as did the pistons. Anyways, put in another motor shes all back to stock runs perfect.

I will be selling everything on the old motor (intake, TB, Head, ect...) Here are some pics.

I have also sold my turbo kit and all that to a bud up in Canada. I think my auto tranny weighed more then this motor, me and my friend picked it up by hand.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Peace-Trav

Oh forget to mention that... she blew bone stock at around 40 mph and about 3K rpms... I laughed when it blew and called my dad, convo went like this...

Me- "Hey dad, come get me"
Dad- "Do you need a chain?"
Me- "yes"
Dad- "Ok, be there in a bit" (head in background talking to mom, Travis blew his motor Ill be back... Mom says "BLEW HIS MOTOR?!?")

Motor with 10K miles and no core charge... 700 bucks. wOOt!

good chance I may need some parts from you... I have to get my head off... and get my other block... and then I'll know what I"ll need or not... so it'll be a while... but i"ll check back with you... also half posting just to be subscribed ;).

we had one here in toronto.... all it had was a cold air intake. The scary thing is that Mazda Canada did not want the shop to open it up and look at it...they wanted sent back to HQ as is...

maybe there is something going on.....

YP5 Toronto said:
we had one here in toronto.... all it had was a cold air intake. The scary thing is that Mazda Canada did not want the shop to open it up and look at it...they wanted sent back to HQ as is...

maybe there is something going on.....
They will do that a lot of times so that the factory can take a good look at it. A friend of mine got to tour a motorcycle factory...maybe Honda...and he said that in one section they just had a bunch of blown motors lined up against the wall that they had shipped back to them.

my industry is far far away from automotive.. but we like to get stuff back untouched by service personell so we can open it up and diagnose it ourselves... that way we can track trends and figure out what is going on.. especially a severe failure, even if it is just one, we still want to see it just to have the heads up... so pretty standard practice for any industry that manufactures a product for the public.

The head mazda office which my dad talked to who he deals with along with every car manufacturer stated there are lots of things almost recalled on our motors before final block production started. mazda is starting to cheap out... gotta love em now that ford got a hold of them. ugh. i lost hope when my car now hosts a duratec motor.

yeah she has been boosted, never a prob, took off kit, 3K rpms boom. she ran 15 psi at times.

deckedoutmp5:

What you are saying is true. My friend and I opened a stock motor to build it. We got it for 650 from a salvage yard, the motor was almost new, less than 12k miles on it.

We heard rummors on weak rod assebly. So we took the torque wrench and started to tighten the rod bolts and guess what we found????

They were torqued 10lbs/ft less than what its supposed to be (using the 626 FSDE motor torque specs).

1 week after I blew my motor my friend blew his too, but not because he was running lean or anything like that...the motor threw a rod!!!!

Mine didnt do that because the 1st time I cracked my pistons, I retorqued them to the 626 specs. This time I blew my motor, rods broke and they are still on the crankshaft!

another thread just popped up with another blown motor in the mp3 section...

when mine blew the bearing and the base of the rod were still on the crank.... rounded off to a circle with no sign of the rod... I'll take pics when I get a chance.

The torque may have been different because the torque will fade over time. Just torque your wheel lugs down once... drive for a week and then recheck them.. they almost always need more again.

Man that sucks. I don't see how some are blowing N/A and some aren't blowing eventhough they're being boosted to high heaven. Supporting mods help I know, but still N/A is rediculous.

stock NA is the ridiculous part! I had more than enough supporting mods, but I still popped... oh well... just gives me an excuse for a better toy of an engine :)

Wiggles422 said:
Man that sucks. I don't see how some are blowing N/A and some aren't blowing eventhough they're being boosted to high heaven. Supporting mods help I know, but still N/A is rediculous.
Find the thread about oil starvation. You can drive them hard all you want as long as you don't turn while doing it. Most of the N/A motors that have blown went while driving hard in the mountains.

LOL.. mine was previously driven hard in the mountains... and it was being tracked hard the day it blew.. but I had been taking it easy and it popped on a straight.... :) Damn FI....

Back