AC smell, any success solution?

:
CX-5, fwd auto
I am still not happy about musty smell from AC when circ is first used. Have read many postings to use fresh air as well as to turn AC off few minutes before you shut of your engine. Also on previous thread, many suggestions to us ac deodorizer.

Any one had any success with getting red of smell for several months rather them temporary fix of Lysol spray? Please share your success of what you have used.

Thank you

What i do is when i get close from my destination i turn they A/C off and crank up the fan to dry all the air conduct.
It seem's to work since i dont have any bad odour.

Thank you for the link and replies. Perhaps I did not ask question properly.
Please name the product used (to get rid of ac smell) and how long it has lasted in one sentence with comments if any will be great!

Please name the product used (to get rid of ac smell) and how long it has lasted in one sentence with comments if any will be great!

Never had any odor from the air conditioning. No products needed.

I've never had this problem, and living in Houston we use the A/C seemingly year round. Don't know if it would help, but have you tried replacing the cabin air filter? It's a simple, 5 minute job. Just a thought. Or Fabreeze into the air intake? Hope you find a solution.

Thank you for the link and replies. Perhaps I did not ask question properly.

Read the thread. It answers your questions.

Thank you, saynopistons. This product 1Z Klima-Cleaner should work as I understood as well as putting heater on for 10-15 seconds. Also, thank you to robertmazda, as I only have 5000 miles, I do not thing I need to change the cabin filter but I will check.

I also had some problems with condensation.. until I started paying careful attention to the recirculate setting.
On the sport model (touring too?) turning the temperature knob all the way to the cold side causes the recirculation and the AC to come on. Once it gets cold enough I usually turn off the AC, but sometimes I don't notice the recirculation got turned on, leaving me with a humid car.
You can turn off the recirculation and even turn off the AC with the knob set to MAX AC, but the recirculation will come back on as soon as you change the vent setting.

The temperature knob does not provide much feedback when going to the MAX AC setting, so I accidentally turn it that far quite often, and the fact that the recirculate light is the same color as the fresh air light masks the problem.

So, to get rid of your moisture problem make sure that your car is taking in fresh air regularly and that you don't spend too much time driving with the recirculation on (especially when the AC is off as well)

Thank you, saynopistons. This product 1Z Klima-Cleaner should work as I understood as well as putting heater on for 10-15 seconds. Also, thank you to robertmazda, as I only have 5000 miles, I do not thing I need to change the cabin filter but I will check.

Remember, as long as you continue "poor habits" of leaving it in re-circulation mode during and after using the AC, the smell will come back. You will go through tons of vent cleaner to keep the smell away. Follow the instructions in my thread, and you should be fine.

This is a serious issue as mold/mildew can cause health hazards.

Last edited:
recirculate can also be a safety issue, as it can result in windows fogging up. Mazda messed up this part of their A/C control. At least for the auto climate control, it should ONLY use recirculate if there's a very large temp difference or if the user switches manually.

Back