About to pull the trigger on the CX-5 but worried about issues

Just turned 18,000 on our 1 year old CX5. Car has been flawless except for the popular driver side mirror shake.

Easy on the brakes, drift up to stoplights...no stomping on the gas from a dead stop and driving like you have a egg on the gas pedal. Also catching the stop lights 'green'. I find the best gas mileage speed to be 40-60 MPH range. I've had it up to 71 MPH (but just for a short period). Also setting the cruise control for open highway driving. I had a 2014 touring I traded in and it got 41 MPG on the first fill up, I wanted the options on the GT. Only had 600+ miles on it when traded in. I'm careful to break them in slowly. No rapid starts or stops, seems to work great for me. Hope this helps!

Ok I see, that's hyper milling/road boulder in CA. And then reporting peak mileage.

Are you saying Fords are full of "bugs"???? ha ha..(j/k)

I'm gonna say it.... FORD = FOUND ON ROAD DEAD

I know earlier Fazdas had much Japanese influence. Not sure about later.

But as for Ford, they seem a bit pricey and appears they've run away with the whole 2000+ British Focus RS front end look that all their cars look like dust busters now. *snickers*

And I really resent them not offering a compact sports car. The mustang is not it, and their Focus hatch is nowhere near what the Euro one is. The new explorers look nice, but I'm not a full size SUV guy, and if I ever needed third row seating I'd probably go with a Pilot.

Oops, check that. The Focus RS is supposed to be in North America by 2015. 330hp. But no word of AWD. Really??

Just saw on the morning news, the Honda Pilot failed the front end safety crash test, the drivers door fell off....not a good thing! Glad I traded my Pilot in on my 2014.5 Mazda CX-5.
My pilot was only getting 9 MPG! Idled rough all the time and Honda refused to fix it--saying nothing was wrong and it was "normal" DUH!!! It was noted that Honda had 'spider recall problems' also a few years ago, while they also mentioned the Mazda 6. recalls.

And the CX-9 also failed. I guess that leaves the Acadia for my future base-luxury family hauler. Heh

I don't trust anything GM makes, especially when it's time to trade it in...they, and other companies don't want them. They might give you a great deal initially---but down the line, it loses it value 'really fast'. $46,000+ for Buick SUV???? really? Mazda CX-9 are old technology (IE. the Ford/Mazda era). Hopefully once it's upgraded to Sky-activ it will be a IIHS favorite too in the Mazda line. It's a beautiful vehicle.

Last edited:
So I'm in the same boat as the OP. The only difference is I would be buying, not leasing. After doing research for a few weeks now, I decided on the 2014 CX-5 last night (or so I thought). The deciding factor last night was due to the crash safety test for the 2014 model made after October 2013. The other vehicles that were in contention were the CR-V, and the RAV4. I knew the CX-5 was rated higher for performance but as soon as I saw it was rated higher on overall safety, that pretty much had tipped the scales for me. As much as I would like a FUN ride, I have a 19 month old and safety is high on my list.

Then today I came across the website that the OP listed. I had read about the pros and cons for the CX-5 and I knew it didn’t have the greatest infotainment system but that it was functional. Ideally that was fine with me. It looks like it’s a bit more of an issue than I thought. Reading the issue regarding the moisture was a bit concerning but for the most part doesn’t seem to be as prevalent as the site makes it out to be based on the responses. Is that fair to say?

My other concern and I figured who better to ask than people who have the vehicle. I’ve seen this pretty much everywhere so I’m assuming it’s an issue and that is the road noise in the cabin. How bad are we talking here? Now I’ve never bought a new car. My wife and I currently have ancient cars: 2000 Toyota Corolla and a 2000 Nissan Xterra. Those are not the best for road noise so anything will be an improvement for us but with that said, one of the things that excited me about a new car is having a relatively quiet cabin. I don’t want to be inundated with road noise to the point that it kills the whole new car/driving experience. Overall, I’m just looking for some advice. Based on other models I was looking at, would this be a good purchase for me?

Thanks in advance!

Infotainment: it get a bit annoying at times, but it seems Mazda has confirmed a solution for many of the problems, and are now in testing before releasing it officially (look for other threads on the subject). So many problems may become a thing of the past soon.

Road noise: I don't thing it's worse than other cars in its category on average, but this can be subjective. The best way to know is a test drive on the highway.

My other concern and I figured who better to ask than people who have the vehicle. I’ve seen this pretty much everywhere so I’m assuming it’s an issue and that is the road noise in the cabin. How bad are we talking here?
The only way to know would be to test drive one: Noise levels are relative and subjective.

I'd suggest a test drive during a time of day and/or location that allows you to drive it on an uncluttered highway. (You'll never be able to evaluate road noise if you can't go faster than 20 MPH.) Make sure you test drive the same trim level that you'd want to purchase (as some people report a difference between the differently sized tires.)

Back