About to leave for big roadtrip!

This is all you need to read back PIDS (data feeds) from the ECU, and DTCS (Codes)

A bluetooth OBD2 Dongle such as this one They cost $5-15. Vendors are pretty much price warring over them all day. this one is $7 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

An *ANDROID* device with bluetooth. Your phone or something. If you want a standalone device you can get brand new android phone from gearbest/aliexpress etc for $35 or less or look around on ebay for a used phone/tablet. I have seen new android phones/tabs with bluetooth for as low as $20. 7" tablets run $35 if you want something big. http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_113147.html?

Website for torque if you don't know what it is (yes basic version is free) https://torque-bhp.com/

A (small) example of the feedback display
attachment.php

For as little as $5 (or ~$30 if you need a device) you can have everything you need in color, with real time logging, an excellent interface, and free updates jsut by connecting to a WiFi. It also logs 0-60, estimated hp/tq (depending on device hardware) and more. Meanwhile these bulky scan devices sell in stores for upwards of $300 and come with a 1985 dot matrix display. It reads codes (and if you so desire, can clear them), and gives you the generic description, which you can then look up in the workshop manual to see what the published triggers/troubleshooting/etc for the code are

Don't forget that at high altitude the air is less dense and is at a lower absolute pressure. When compressed at 12:1 compression ratio the actual absolute pressure in the engine cylinder is lower by a factor of 12 times the difference in the absolute pressure at sea level compared to the absolute pressure at altitude. Net is the benefit of high octane is needed more at sea level than at altitude with the same load and temperature. This is why they sell 85 octane fuel in high altitude locations instead of 87 and it works fine.

Well thanks for the info! Mitsubishi called him this morning saying the fans were in, and they were currently installing them, so his car will be back on the road before we even get there, so we'll have no need to tow anything. I already have a scangauge in my 2013 Jetta. Since we're gone for 2 full weeks, I'll just take it out of my Jetta and put it temporarily in the CX-5. Does anyone know the XGauge codes for the Scangauge to get the monitor for oil and transmission fluid temps?

Scan gauge has them, not sure if it will work though:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/mazda-specific/

I would have test it for you, but I sold my scan gauge awhile back when the Bluetooth OBD scanners started coming out.

I strongly disagree. The more octane, the less timing it will pull under load when hot.

I just came back from a vacation trip with my CX-5 and testing premium gas driving through the Appalachian mountains showed me that Unobtanium is correct.

I haven't seen any data that suggests the CX5 pulls timing under load in hot weather. Please provide the link... Ed

This has been shown and proven by the modification guys who tune and run scans on the CX5 ECU. The data shows that Mazda programmed A LOT of safety parameters into the high-compression engine. Not only will it pull timing but it stays in "safe" mode for some time afterwards. Mazda didn't want any chance of detonation with its 13:1 compression so it built it super conservative safety factors.

So it's safe to say that on a hot weather day, with the AC on, under heavy load, running 87 octane, your Mazda CX5 will detune itself under loads. That is almost a guarantee in those conditions.

I know just from my "seat of the pants" that it pulls timing. On a cool night, with the AC off, the car responds totally different than on a hot summer day with the AC on.

Lbear - All the drag racers know that on a cool dry day you get more power that a hot day as the air is denser and you ingest more of it into the cylinder and produce higher compression & power.

So the family is heading to Vancouver, from home, which is about a 10 hour drive................................................................................

To summarize my questions:
-Should I be worried about heat with no oil and transmission coolers in hot weather on steep mountain roads?
No. The car is designed to take these normal conditions without concern or injury. If your CX-5 doesn't over heat after an hour at home, it shouldn't on the road. Odd question, is this your first ever road trip?

-Should I use premium, so the car won't have to adjust ignition timing so badly that we may have reduced power on regular fuel?
NO, of course not. The engine was designed and calibrated for regular fuel. The ECU WILL NOT adjust timing at altitude, or in any conditions you will see, to reduce power, abnormally. The engine WILL lose power at higher elevations (about 3% per 1000 feet or 300 meters) because the air is less dense (lower pressure) and you can do nothing about it. In fact, the lower air density will actually reduce combustion pressure and reduce octane demand. Higher elevations also have reduced temperatures. You may find lower octane fuel at high elevations. You can safely run the lowest octane, it you wish.

-Can I tow a 2,300lb trailer with no brake controller for about an hour drive?
Sure, if you are careful and drive gently.

If you get in an accident your insurance company will leave you hanging out to dry and remove all liability from themselves if you did not adhere to your manufactures weight limits according to the manual. Lawsuits, lose your house, first born, wife leaves you kinda deal if serious injuries are involved. Not worth it!

I think this is one of those things that everyone knows, but no one knows how they know it.

In don't know how good a super overprice scan gauge.

A Scangauge e costs less then $100 new and has the advantage of being able to be permanently installed, and come on and go off with the car, like any other gauge. It is hard wired and has it's own display. That was worth the price to me.

Almost halfway to Vancouver. Very hot outside(more than what I'm used to). Temps hovered around 33-35c. The first tank was regular fuel. As you can see the computer says 6.9l/100km, I filled up and actual mileage was exactly 6.9, so the computer is accurate. I noticed some sort of power decrease in long hill climbs since I could feel a noticeable "blip" and the car then had slightly reduced power. I'm thinking this could be the timing being adjusted. It's not the AC compressor kicking on since the first mountain climbed, AC was not on. This tank is premium 91 octane. We'll see how it does!

rXTFKf5l.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed some sort of power decrease in long hill climbs since I could feel a noticeable "blip" and the car then had slightly reduced power. I'm thinking this could be the timing being adjusted.

Not sure what you mean by blip.
For me, long vs. short climb had no impact. What did have an impact was overall elevation. The effect was that the car feels less powerful, so I needed to press the pedal more to get the same amount of power I'd get close to sea level. This was most noticeable above 6000 ft / 2Km.

Thank you for the follow-up and do keep us updated with the results of your trip!

Not sure what you mean by blip.
For me, long vs. short climb had no impact. What did have an impact was overall elevation. The effect was that the car feels less powerful, so I needed to press the pedal more to get the same amount of power I'd get close to sea level. This was most noticeable above 6000 ft / 2Km.

Thank you for the follow-up and do keep us updated with the results of your trip!

Maybe "blip" isn't the right word. It felt like The computer selected '-10hp', so it was an instant decrease in power so I had to press the gas more. I'd describe it as a shudder, but it wasn't intrusive at all. I'm very observant and attentive to exactly what the vehicle is doing, so I could notice it, but I know for a fact, the person that just gets in a drives, won't even feel it. Anyways, were stopping halfway through the night and staying through till Thursday morning, then we leave for Vancouver. I'm excited to see what premium fuel does for this thing.

We did this exact trip last year to Vancouver Island. The mtns between Calgary and Kamloops, the CX5 won't even feel them. The only big climb is south of Kamloops on the Coquihalla (Hwy to hell). Very nice drive, just you will notice the grade. The first 40 kms is all up hill, the elevation rises up over 1000 meters, up to 8.5% grade. You will notice the car working a little extra, but nothing to worry about. You'll probably pass a few vehicles parked on the side of the road, usually pulling trailers. Middle of summer, 30C and no issues. I was using 87 regular fuel.

We did this exact trip last year to Vancouver Island. The mtns between Calgary and Kamloops, the CX5 won't even feel them. The only big climb is south of Kamloops on the Coquihalla (Hwy to hell). Very nice drive, just you will notice the grade. The first 40 kms is all up hill, the elevation rises up over 1000 meters, up to 8.5% grade. You will notice the car working a little extra, but nothing to worry about. You'll probably pass a few vehicles parked on the side of the road, usually pulling trailers. Middle of summer, 30C and no issues. I was using 87 regular fuel.

Interesting. I did the coq with my uncles 2014 Outlander GT pulling his 2,000lb+ trailer. I was foot to the floor most of the way up and it's cooling system wasn't phased. I was impressed. I'm not worried about the Mazdas cooling system, I'm just curious to try 91 octane. How was your fuel economy? I think 6.9 is darn impressive for this thing.

Resuming our journey to Van. We have about 5 hours to go. Fuel economy is 34mpg(us) on the first tank of regular. I'm definitely impressed by that.

Made it to Vancouver. Currently on the island. It's hot! But this thing actually seems to love the heat, as I've never got as good as fuel economy as I have here. And in other news I hit 65,000kms.
iJhG3N9.jpg

Made it to Vancouver. Currently on the island. It's hot! But this thing actually seems to love the heat, as I've never got as good as fuel economy as I have here. And in other news I hit 65,000kms.

Some heat records in area being broken not seen since the 1890's.

i just returned from a 7 hr trip from southern PA to central NY I took lots of back roads through the PA hills. Regular gas. Air on the whole way. 88 deg outside. Pulled a 1000 lb trailer. No lack of power. Max coolest temp was 202 deg F for just a minute. Most of the trip was 188 to 193 F

I haven't seen any data that suggests the CX5 pulls timing under load in hot weather. Please provide the link... Ed

It's common knowledge that all cars do this that have modern ECU. The cx5 sith a 13 to 1 comp ratio is especially aggressive. No link is necessary, imo, as this falls under "the sky is blue" territory.

Back