A Survey for ALL Turbo Protege Owners

1) What car do you have? MSP
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 18,350
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Stock
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? Mazda hehe
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? None
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)?
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? manual - anywhere from 10-16lbs(depending on mood)
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Spool CAI, Apex 2.5in DP, 2.5 in Axle Back, MBC, colder plugs
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 170 at the crank
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? None with turbo
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? manual
14) Is your transmission slipping? no, went through one at 7k miles + clutch
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? stock for now
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? $120(guages), $200 DP, $250 intake, $35 MBC, $25 FPR, other misc stuff
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? No way to slow haha
18) What PSI are you running daily? 13
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Yes, rougly 4,000

1) What car do you have? P5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 6000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Essential Speed Stage 2e GT28r all ceramic coated
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? Under retail Due To sponsership
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Vortech FMU
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock with Essential Speed O2 modifier
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? No
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? manual - 6PSI no BC
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): 2.5" DP with custon first mid pipe with super small high flow cat connecting to stock resinator and Jeff series 5zigen Firball axle back Turbo intake in is wheel well Denso IK22 plugs Magnacore wires Mazdaspeed and J-Spec Cams
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 213 whp
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? I replaced all the bolts on the turbo with stainless because with the front and rear awr (I even have the ATX ones) the vibrations stripped the threads on the brass ones, I need new waste gate gaskets because I ruined mine during instalation
14) Is your transmission slipping? nope
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? stock for now
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? $10 in new bolts $4 for copper gasket maker for the 1st mid pipe to 2nd mid pipe connection
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Definatly 2x
18) What PSI are you running daily? 6
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Well about 1500ish depending on shows

Last edited:
1) What car do you have?- 2001 Mazda MP3
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 12000 miles
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? Spool Stage 2
4) How much and where from? $2000 shipped from a forum member.
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? BEGI Adjustable FMU
6) What ECU are you using? P5 ECU
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals? None
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 9psi. JoeP MBC.
9) Describe your performance setup: 2 step colder plugs, 2.5" exhaust from manifold with no cats or resonator, 3" axleback to Apexi N1.
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? 203whp / 215 ft tq.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? ~200whp.
12) Have you had any problems with turbo? No problems with the turbo. Just a nagging problem with fittings blowing off. Corrected now.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Manual
14) Is your transmission slipping? Nope.
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Stock clutch until I upgrade to ACT.
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes? $65 Stewart Warner Boost Gauge, $55 Autometer Dual Pillar Pod, $385 AEM Wideband 02 Gauge, $175 Exhaust from Downpipe to Axleback, $200 + $40 welding and piping for Apexi N1 Muffler, $200 HKS SSQV to replace generic HKS
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes.

Last edited:
1) What car do you have? 2002 P5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 25,000 kms
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Essential Speed stage 2 (w/FMIC)
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? bought the kit used for $2750 CDN incl. extras (gauges, pod)
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Vortech FMU
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? stock P5 with ES O2 Modifier
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? none
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 5-9 psi with MBC
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): 2.5" downpipe and full exhaust, high-flow cat, Vibrant Type-V muffler, 1 step colder plugs
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. not dynoed yet
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? not sure
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?cracked weld at dp and 1st cat...now fixed
14) Is your transmission slipping? no
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Clutchmasters Stage III
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? extras included in purchase price
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? hell yes!
18) What PSI are you running daily? 5-9ish
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? 1500-2000 kms maybe??

Last edited:
1) What car do you have? 2001 MP3
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 4500 miles
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? Mental Addiction Street Sleeper Kit
4) How much and where from? $4395. Mental Addiction Motorsports
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? BEGi RRFPR, Clamp soon
6) What ECU are you using? stock mp3 ECU, soon P5 ecu
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals? none yet, soon completely built
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 0 psi until I get it built
9) Describe your performance setup: MAM Sleeper Kit, FMIC, Corksport 2.4" exhaust, Colder plugs, Spec clutch
10) What did your turbo dyno at? not dynoed yet
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 209whp @ 9psi
12) Have you had any problems with turbo? I nearly hydrolocked my car
14) Is your transmission slipping? no
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Spec Stage 3 Hybrid
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes? About $900 at this point.
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? hell yes! but I need to build my motor! :)
18) What PSI are you running daily? 0 for NOW
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? 400miles/month

Last edited:
1) What car do you have? 2003.5 Protege5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? ~100
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Spool Stage 2
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? $2300 shipped from Matthew
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? BEGI RRFPR and voltage clamp
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock P5
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? None
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 7psi with JoeP MBC
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Spool Stage 2, GReddy Type-S, HKS rear section and only one cat
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. Will dyno after I get some more money
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? ~200+ (i think)
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? The only problem was with the wastegats gasket, But fixed now
14) Is your transmission slipping? Nope
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Stock
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? I spent $234 for my Boost, EGT and Oil pressure gauges. $90 to weld downpipe to stock exhaust with flex pipe
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes
18) What PSI are you running daily? 7psi
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Yes, about 1500 or so a month.

There are three being built as we speak on the Ottawa Protege Owners club for next spring (Mine being on of them)

I went ahead and updated my info. On Saturday I'll plug in the dyno numbers. But so far 6000 boosted miles and still going strong.

Protege2K said:
I went ahead and updated my info. On Saturday I'll plug in the dyno numbers. But so far 6000 boosted miles and still going strong.
Greg, please make sure you get some kind of EMS soon and not run too long with the FMU. The ghosts internals were caked with carbon deposits and it was smoking when I took the turbo off. This was due to the overly rich conditions.

I just seen this so i though why not?!

1) What car do you have?2002 MP5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 3000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)?custom setup
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)?Handmade by me, about $900 total
5) What kind of fuel management are you running?Begi, FM VC
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)?Stock
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)?None
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller?MBC 10 psi
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc):Intercooled, Colder NGK plugs
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.229 whp current setup
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at?Since im the manufactur, ummm 800 HP
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?Smoked at first, problem was undersized oil drain line
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?auto unfortunalty (for now.........)
14) Is your transmission slipping?Not yet
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using?
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?just spent about $400 on all new 3" exhaust setup
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)?yes, very
18) What PSI are you running daily?10
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month?yes, about 1200

i have a turbo and i'm extremely unsatisfied...

that's only because i haven't had a chance to really give my car a run for it's money... :) working on some final upgrades to my kit... just got a new intercooler... blah blah blah...

but i will post to this very soon... and i'm sure i will be posting only good things... the last time (and the only time) i drove my car with the turbo, it was running way too lean for my tastes (mechanical error on my part)... but damn that thing moved... i only got to crack second... but that b**** was breakin loose...

once i get this new intercooler setup... i will fix and tune out the fuel... then i will post my findings... MAM is the bomb (even though i don't have a full mam kit)

by the way... i would suggest that if you haven't done so yet... everyone should get a set of awr motor mounts... (reduces wheel hop EXTREMELY and helps you put that power to the ground) i don't know if i would enjoy this turbo as much if i hadn't gotten those motor mounts.

-peedro

spoolinmp3 said:
hmm interstesting...everbody that posted is satisfied...any unsatisfied turbo owners?

For my MP3:
Survey (please copy and paste):
1) What car do you have? 2001 MP3

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? over 10K

3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? BEGI

4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? $3000

5) What kind of fuel management are you running? BEGI RR-FPR

6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? None

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 6-8, MBC

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Colder plugs, catback exhuast

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. Never Did

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 170-175 whp

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? The waste gate actuator rod's nut rusted in place. Various leaks form my connection and from BEGI's at the turbo.

14) Is your transmission slipping? No

15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Clutch Master Stage 1

16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?
Chose to....$1500, needed $1500

17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? No, I expected more for the investment with less issues. It was an unrealistc expectation

18) What PSI are you running daily? 7 PSi

19) Is this your daily driver? about 1200 at the time.

StuttersC said:
Holy, how have you been?
purty good(headbang)
I am no longer in the car business so I dont come on here much. I drive an evo now which has been treating me well. I just dynoed at 344awhp with all bolt ons, stock turbo, stock ecu and motor so I am happy(eekdance)

I have been browsing the FI forums and the MAM kits look mighty nice!
I also see turfburn has a website up and running.......Go Turf!!!
And all the cars running high boost now are very impressive........really nice to see evryone boosting there cars up!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back