A Survey for ALL Turbo Protege Owners

1) What car do you have? mp5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 15000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? factory msp t25
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? too cheap!!!!!
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? msp ecu
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? same
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? stock internals
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 10psi everyday............15psi on 100 oct race fuel
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): custom hard pipes, gay ass msp reflash, j-spec cams, injen custom short ram, ngk one step cold plugs, custom turbo back 2.5 exh with no cat or resinatior, hks hi power muffler, turboxs dual stage boost control.
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. not yet
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 170hp @ stock boost
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? none at all (note this is my daily driver of 50+ miles in traffic to work and back)
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? msp 5 spd w/lsd
14) Is your transmission slipping? nope
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? stock msp clutch
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? hrd pipes(250), injen(125) used, j-spec cams(150), custom exh (100), plugs(13), turboxs boost control(200), reused hks muffler, autometer guages (50) used, guage pod (75) thats about it.....
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? yes....very much so!!!!!
18) What PSI are you running daily? 10 psi on 91 pump
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? yes, 1500miles per month

Last edited:
1. Mazda protege lx 93
2. 10000
3. Stock gtx vj-20
4. around 3000$
5. sds 2 extra injector controller
6. Stock bp n/a ecu
7. Stock gtx internal
8. 10psi manual
9. pwr water to air intercooler with 2.5 intake piping and a 2.5 exhaust system
10. not yet
11. 185hp
12. none
13. manual
15.custom double diaphragm pressure plate with stock disc
16. All work was custom by me so no additionnal $$
17. Yes
18. Summer daily driver

1) What car do you have?- 99 Protg LX http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291978349
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 30K
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? Custom Turbonetics T3/4 hybrid via Wagner Motorsports
4) How much and where from? This is the third version of my setup probably invested around $5k Wagner Motorsports
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Stand alone in the works but have used Votec FMU, Apexi AFC, and Wagner Motorsports FMU with custom fuel rail and RC injectors
6) What ECU are you using? Stock 1.6 until standalone goes in
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals? None
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 8 and 12 via TurboXS dual stage controller
9) Describe your performance setup: Methanol injection, FMIC, B&M oil cooler/ remote filter, huge aluminum radiator, PVC catch can, Quaife LSD, ACT stage 3, AASCO flywheel, Iridium, NGK wires, AWR motor mounts, custom reinforced sub frames cross members, etc etc
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Dyno with old setup was !56 whp and 176 pounds of torque at the wheels bone stock was 87 whp
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 105
12) Have you had any problems with turbo? First turbo was used of an 2gen Eclipse seals leaked had center section rebuilt and no more problems.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Manual
14) Is your transmission slipping? When first installed turbo setup yes because it was a 70% increase in power
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? ACT stage 3 with AASCO Flywheel
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes? To much to count! I've have twice the amount the car cost new invested.
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)?Hell YES!!!!!!!es

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Survey (please copy and paste):
1) What car do you have? 2002 Mazda Protege5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? over 30,000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Bell Engineering Prototype - upgraded with FM parts
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? about $2900 shipped from Corky Bell
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator with FM Voltage Clamp
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? stock Protege ECU
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? stock internals
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? wastegate control, 7.5 psi
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): eliminated first catalytic convertor, lighter flywheel, ACT heavy duty clutch, tons of other non engine related parts
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. at 6 psi on stock flywheel and stock exhaust ~ 170 wheel horsepower. stock whp ~ 97 whp. probably around 180 or 185 to the wheels now, but not sure.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 167 whp
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? oil lines and water return lines melt over time, general dislike of the fuel pressure regulator and what it takes to tune it, tires go bye bye much faster.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? manual
14) Is your transmission slipping? no
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? ACT Heavy Duty
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? Boost gauge $55, Air Fuel Gauge $60, Fuel Pressure Gauge $120, replacement engine $900, hoses and clamps, downpipe $120, MIL eliminator $15, new fuel pump $75, aftermarket inline pump $300....
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? pretty much, awaiting fuel management of the reliable vareity
18) What PSI are you running daily? 7.5
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? yes this is my daily driver, i fill up three to four times a month so I'd say between 800 and 1200 miles a month

Please suggest (via PM only) more questions i may add.
sure will

1) What car do you have? 2002 Protege5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? over 30,000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Spool Turbo Kit Intercooled
4) How much and where from? $2975 shipped to PR
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? FMU, 125psi Inline Fuel Pump, FM O2 clamp, MPI Tunner (SMT6)
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? stock Protege ECU, MPI Tunner (SMT6) tunned thru 2.5bar map sensor.
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? MBC, 10 psi on FMU, 12-14psi on extra injectors.
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): 2.5 turbo back w/3inch dynomax exhaust, act street kit, NGK Iridium spark plugs, AWR motor mounts.
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? 219whp corrected @ 10.5psi
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? ~180 whp @ 7psi
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Oil return line was too long (solved), some ping knock @10psi (solved). So far Ive blow only 1 engine (2 broken rods) and cracked a few pistons.
14) Is your transmission slipping? no
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? ACT HD
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? Greddy A/F $299, Greddy EGT $199, replacement engine $700, hoses and clamps, Exhaust setup $300, Inline fuel pump $125, MPI Tunner $600, 2.5bar MAP sensor $40.00, HKS SSQV $200, $300 extra injectors.
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Im still addicted now after 2 years.
18) What PSI are you running daily? 10-11psi.
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Yep, I change oil ever 1.5-3months, ~$5 gas a day, I visit a lot the race tracks, some street races. This car is being abused, and still holding ~1500mi a month.

Last edited:
HiBoost Turbo

1) mp5
2) 250 miles since installed
3) HiBoost kit
4) $3500 from SPD Racing
5) Haltech F10
6) Stock P5 ECU
7) Got stock internals
8) i think i;m running 6-7 psi not sure, no boost gauge yet
9) umm see sig
10) Not dynoed yet
11) Claimed 214hp @ 8psi
12) i have a rough idle
13) Auto tranny
14) no slips yet
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? N/A
16) ~100 for turbo timer, ~100 for boost gauge, ~250 for greddy type s BOV, ~250 for Greddy Profec B EBC, all of which aren't installed yet.
17) yes i'm satisfied with the set up
18) What PSI are you running daily? 6-7 psi daily
19) yes its my daily driver, 1000 miles a month i think

1) What car do you have? 2003 Protege5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? ~1500
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Spool Stage 2
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? $2500-2700 (cant quite remember) from MP3SkaterNC
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Non-working FMU and voltage clamp (in other words, nothing)
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock P5
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? None
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 5psi (soon to be 7psi when i get my new FMU), JoeP MBC
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Spool Stage 2, GReddy Type-S, UD Pulley (still debating on install), 9mm ignition wires, HKS rear section, only one cat, B&M short shifter
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. Will dyno after my full exhaust is installed and I am running 7psi.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? ~200+ (i think)
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Running lean after 5psi due to bad FMU....new FMU will be here this week
14) Is your transmission slipping? Nope
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Stock
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? I spent about $30 on fuel pressure gauge to test the problem (FMU), $90 to rent a full lift bay and tools for 3 days, $20-30 in vacuum lines, fittings, extra wires, etc, $100 for full exhaust piping using the same HKS muffler and downpipe (havent done it yet, thats what i was quoted), $100 weld dump tube (but no one will do it here in town), $30 for a dual gauge pod, $25-30 for new mobil one oil and filter and rtv, $10 for new coolant, $115 new fuel pump (safety precaution not really necessary right away)
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Somewhat, but I'm sick of waiting for for my fuel pump and FMU to completely fix it so i can run 7psi....5psi is not that fast
18) What PSI are you running daily? 5psi for now, 7psi by next weekend (hopefully)
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Yes, about 1000 or so a month.

1) What car do you have? 2002 protege es
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 700
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? mpi
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? 200 used(after 1 new turbo)
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? mpi tuner
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? stock es
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? none
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 9 stock 15 racing via greddy ebc
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): umm....... cold plugs,extra injectors and full 3"exhaust!!!
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. holpfully soon
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? ??
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? broke the first turbo shaft..... nobody knows why but i did....... new turbo seems to be doing great!!
14) Is your transmission slipping? at 15psi yes!!!!!
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? stock...... soon to be upgraded!!!
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? 300 guages, 200 ebc, 200 hose tech couplers + a few of my old guages for my friend welding my exhaust..
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? so far yup,yup
18) What PSI are you running daily?9-10 15 racing
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? yes.... 1000

Mp5t

Does this count???

MP5T%202.jpg

MP5T%201.jpg

1) What car do you have? P5 2002
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 25,000 Km
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Mine!
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? Alot
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? SDS EIC-2
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? P5 ECU
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? Crower Rods, Pistons...
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 7 Low 12.5 High
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): NGK 1 range Low
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at?
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? MT
14) Is your transmission slipping? No
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Centerforce
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? **** YES!!!
18) What PSI are you running daily?
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? 3000 Km

Last edited:
1) What car do you have? 1999 MAZDA PROTEGE LX 1.6 LITRE
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install?BOUT 5000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? CUSTOME KIT, SOME WAGNER PARTS
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? BOUT 2500 PIECED IT TOGETHER MY SELF
5) What kind of fuel management are you running?I HAVE A WALBORO 255LPH FUEL PUMP, AND A VORTEC 12:1 FMU
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)?STOCK
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)?NONE
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller?10 PSI
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc):
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.NOT SURE YET
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at?N/A
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?NOT REALLY ANY, SOME INTERCOOLER PIPING PROBS.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?MANI
14) Is your transmission slipping?NOPE
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using?ACT
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)?STILL WORKING ON IT, BUT YES VERY
18) What PSI are you running daily?10
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month?YES, HAVE NO IDEA ON MILES.

1) What car do you have?

MP3

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install?

~25K

3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)?

Spool w/ a Wagner mani

4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)?

I forget

5) What kind of fuel management are you running?

MPI tuner pushing 2 extra injectors

6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)?

LX ECU

7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)?

Pauter rods, JE SRP 9:1 pistons

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller?

13psi

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc):

Eh, see sig.

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.

@ 13psi my best PDA dyno pull was 258chp so far.

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at?

n/a

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?

Nothing major once it was tuned

13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

MT, of course.

14) Is your transmission slipping?

Not yet.

15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using?

Spec Stage 3

Thousands and thousands.

17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)?

Sure.

18) What PSI are you running daily?

19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month?

Yes...~2K

1. 02 P5
2. 3-400
3. Flyin Protege
4. $3400 with FM BOV
5. BEGI RRFPR and aux fuel pump (pierburg)
6. stock with O2 signal clamp
7. none
8. 5psi now, but still tuning - JoeP MBC on order
9. stock with kit bolted on
10. n/a
11. 167.5
12. none yet (just install issues so far)
13. 5 speed
14. no
15. stock
16. $150 gauges/pillar, other mods were previous to turbo
17. not yet - not tuned
18. 5psi - to be increased to 6
19. yes, 1m

1) What car do you have? 2001 Mazda Protege MP3 (laser blue)

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? not sure, 15-20k easily

3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Spool Stage 2/3

4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? I don't know because once I bought my car it was already sorta installed.

5) What kind of fuel management are you running? AEM EMS, 440cc WRX injectors

6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Protege5 ECU with AEM plug n' play engine management system

7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? No internal upgrades yet.

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 8 psi with manual boost controller, boost soon to be controlled by my AEM EMS

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Plugs: NGK BKR6E's gapped to .28, ported and polished intake manifold, spearco core intercooler, see my sig for more.

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. 170.8 whp and 170.8 ft-lbs of torque at 4 psi, dyno'd on 4/28/04, had AEM EMS, higher psi dyno results coming soon

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? no clue

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Very poor setup when I purchased the car, had a vaccuum leak, a vortech rrfpr, constantly too rich, exhaust had flaming hemorrhoids, open external wastegate, etc. It's all fixed now. :D

14) Is your transmission slipping? No, but has been grinding into 5th gear since LSD and clutch/flywheel stage 1 install.

15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? ACT stage 1 street clutch

16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? A few thousand

17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Very satisfied now.

18) What PSI are you running daily? 8

19) Is this your daily driver? Yes

If so how many miles do you average a month? 1000-2000

Last edited:
Back