A Caution for all CX-5 owners

Raiderspy1

:
2013 CX-5 Touring AWD
I believe this would only be if you have the cloth, but a caution to all CX-5 owners. When and if you drop your rear seats with the latches...MAKE SURE YOUR FRONT SEATS ARE NOT BACK TO FAR. THE REAR SEATS UNLATCH AND DROP WITH ENOUGH FORCE THAT THE REAR HEADREST ARE CATCHING THE REAR POCKETS OF THE FRONT SEATS AND RIPPING THEM FROM THE FRONT SEATS.

Thanks for the heads up.
I've always removed the headrests before dropping the seats, will keep it up for sure.

Thanks for the reminder! I would like to add this to my annoyance list, as I'd forgotten about it.

It is ridiculous to have to move the front seats forward in order fold the rears down, because of the headrests. Irks me every time.

I removed left and right rear seat headrest permanently for that reason! How come mazda haven't think of it??

Yeah the Mazda engineers thought of everything but this part it seems :D although when I drop mine down they hit the upper part of the front seats right above the pockets.

that sucks! same thing happened to my '10 3s. Tore the corner of the pocket with the headrest after folding the seat down. I've been a lot more careful since then.

i think this is only a problem for Canada and US versions, the European and Asian versions have a different headrest which does not eat up that much space

Yeah, there seems to be two versions of those headrests:

2013-Mazda-CX-5-interior-11.jpg

VS.

2012-mazda-cx-5-interior1-600x375.jpg

I have the latter version and I only need to push it down to the lowest position in order to be able to fold the rear seats.

I thought this was only a problem with the basic 60/40 rear seat. Sucks that it is happening with the 40/20/40 seat. I also can't open the center console all the way since the center headrest hits. I've removed the outboard headrest since my kids are below the top of the seat anyway.

I had to fold the seats down to fit some stuff. I removed the two large headrests and found they each fit perfectly in those container slots in the trunk. These same container slots hold a gallon of milk too I believe.

Mazda USA released the 2010 MS3 with the lower-profile headrests and then the subsequent years equipped them with the taller ones. IIRC, it was due to safety issues. I definitely prefer the look and functionality of the lower profile ones. Too bad Mazda didn't integrate the feature like they do on the Mazda5 where you can pull the tab to make the headrests flat.

Last edited:
Found this, but have not looked yet.

I believe this would only be if you have the cloth, but a caution to all CX-5 owners. When and if you drop your rear seats with the latches...MAKE SURE YOUR FRONT SEATS ARE NOT BACK TO FAR. THE REAR SEATS UNLATCH AND DROP WITH ENOUGH FORCE THAT THE REAR HEADREST ARE CATCHING THE REAR POCKETS OF THE FRONT SEATS AND RIPPING THEM FROM THE FRONT SEATS.

i found a possible solution to the headrest issue. Take a look.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/03/2012-mazda-3-rear-seat-inconvenience.html

Last may, I bought a showroom CX-5 and the dealership noticed before delivery that the pocket was ripped on the driver side. They replaced it with a brand new seat from another CX-5 in their inventory because the seat cover was backorder...

One month later, I had a hitch installed at the same dealership, the Mazda technician had to fold the back seat down and he ripped the passenger seat pocket...

I noticed it only a day later and I had to go back to the dealer to show to the manager. He gave me a nice lesson on how to avoid to rip the back pocket... (I told him he should give that lesson to its technicians) But he agreed to replace the seat cover at no charge.

Hey Exspeedaway! you are using my car as avatar!. Picture taken on 27 juin, with 5 Kms. Now the beast has 6.917 Kms. after a summer around all Europe. And in very good shape.

Oupsss sorry about that, i didn't have any pic's so i just "Google image" grey metropolitain cx5 and that's the one i pick.

It's suppose to be nice outside this week-end so i will take some pic's of my one.

Kind of funny of all the pic i found i stumble on your's......(hand).......i will take care of that in no time and sorry again.

Latest posts

Back