A/c delete question

204vividPro5

:
2002 Mazda pro5
Hey I deleted my a/c last fall but I never removed the condenser? (I think that's what it's called) in behind the dash. Can it be removed so I don't have the 2 lines hanging out in my engine bay and reduce the cluster in behind the glove box?

Last edited:
Its the evaporator. It can be yanked out, but if it's like anything else I've worked with you may not want to do it. I may be wrong with a Protege, but you generally have to take the entire dash off to get one of those out. Even then you'll have holes in your firewall to deal with. Unless you're going for every bit of weight off the car, I would probably put a nice vacuum plug/cap on the lines and call it a day. Then if you ever wanted to go back, it wouldn't be as difficult.

Yes it can be removed fairly easily. The biggest pain in the ass would be getting the dash out, because as stated the whole dash needs to be removed for it too happen. After that just get some plugs for the holes on the firewall or weld them shut. If you never have any intention on running AC again the you might as well delete it, saves a good 20 pounds.

the dash does NOT need to be removed to remove the pieces in the dash unless you want to remove the heater core which IMO you could still do with the dash in place.

2 10,, bolts and you can remove the box with the condenser so that you can remove those 2 lines and the other aluminum pieces. you have to replace the plastic box if you want to keep using the fans as the air travels through it.

IMG-20120125-00489.jpg

simple 20 min job including the time to remove the glove box and glove box trim.

I could not get to mine with just the glove box removed. Apparently I was doing something wrong, but I didn't mind because I was removing the heater core as well and needed the dash out anyway.

I could not get to mine with just the glove box removed. Apparently I was doing something wrong, but I didn't mind because I was removing the heater core as well and needed the dash out anyway.

have to remove the small plastic trim that holds the glove box.

Glad I found this thread. I suspect my evaporator is leaking so I'm replacing it tomorrow. How do I disconnect the lp line in the engine bay? The hp line has a nut but I'm not familiar with the connector on the lp line. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It's a quick connect type fitting. There's a garter spring inside that holds the lines together, and a couple O-rings as well.

There is a special tool for that, although if you cut the worm drive off an appropriately sized hose clamp, you can shove the remaining band inside the fitting to expand the spring and pull it apart. There's Youtube videos on the process.

Back