A/C Compressor - Need HELP!

TimCosmo

:
Mazda Eunos Cosmo 13b (1991)
I still have not solved by need for a new a/c compressor. Unfortunately, I have wasted a lot of money buying the incorrect model, having found someone on the web who had a photo of his newly fitted Cosmo Compressor. The Compressor Type reference appears to mean nothing!

So, has anyone got the part number, or correct reference, for a 1991 Cosmo 13b compressor ?

Or, even more useful, would be knowing of another model of car (that is more popular than the super rare Cosmo), which uses the exact same compressor ?

I would be so grateful for help here.

Thanks
Tim

What about the really big Mazda 929 (in Aus was a 929), from the early 90's I know some of the parts bin was similar eg wing mirrors

Kramer

Thanks for the info Kramer. Alas, Mazda UK stopped importing 929s at the end of the 1980's and I haven’t seen one in years. At any rate, back then, they didn’t have a/c on our model. Very few UK cars did back then.

However, thanks to Frank, I have found a Cosmo being broken for spares and just received an a/c compressor and at a very good price.

I’m very happy!

Cheers.
Tim

Today, a good A/C engineering company I found, fitted the used a/c parts Frank help me find. Compressor, Condenser & viscous fan.

My Cosmo A/C system now works!

..Just in time for these new London warm sunny days we are having.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
I had the same idle problem when i first picked up my Cosmo.
i took it to my mechanic and he showed me a cracked pipe that was causing my issue. (it hardened b/c of the heat and cracked)

i'll confirm it this week/next to confirm which part that was.. (i dont remember as it was last year..)

There are a couple of issues for stalling, but the most common is a VAC leak in the complex solenoid system. This will take a while to trouble shoot and you are generally best to go through and replace all of your broken lines and solenoids all at once.

The second reason for stalling is a faulty transmission which can sometime engage the lockup converter at low engine speed.

Kramer honestly has a mind of its own in regard to idle! I've had it for ten years now (omg - ten years!) and I've tried everything! Today - it was fine, but last drive - idle all over the shop! Nothing done to it in the mean time - it was just in a good mood today! Tomorrow - welcome to owning a Cosmo! The only real answer? Don't let it idle! (five-0)(five-0)

Kramer

After a 10 mile Saturday afternoon run on the motorway, I returned & parked at home & as I slowly pulled into the drive the car did Not stall. I could hear a clicking sound as I turned the steering wheel left & right (while parked). The revs went up as I did this. The same thing happened when I switched the a/c on and off. Clicking sound & revs up to assist the extra pull on the engine. So, I guess this is correct and normal and was indeed most welcome!

With thanks for your help & comments.

Tim

Last edited:
Back