99 Miata Engine Replacement

6speed

:
'05 MSM #36, '05 WWP RX-8
So, yeah, I'm still around. I know I keep trying to leave New England, but no success yet.

In the interim however, my plans to sell the Miata got blocked by a spun bearing. Something happened with the oil pickup or delivery from my only guess at this point. Let off at ~7,000 rpm from a 2nd gear WOT, and instantly heard the rattle, limped it 3 miles home under 2k rpm and 25mph, and it's been parked since, so I'm hoping I avoided secondary catastrophic damage.

Anyway, I've been hunting for a replacement engine, and found one, a year 2000 engine located just north of Worcester MA. Which is pretty fortunate, since it saves me tons on shipping since I can just take the van and go and get it. And apparently (according to the that owns it) he has receipts from the prior owner he bought it from showing that at 205,000 miles (of 235k chassis) he had the head built up, like port and polish and stuff. Remains to be seen if that is accurate or not, but at least I can take a look over the engine and receipts before handing over the cash and re-negotiate as needed.

So, he still has to pull it from the car (still in and drivable, he bought it as a parts car), and will get it pulled early next week, so it's looking like I will be doing the exchange on the weekend of the 23rd/24th, and just putting out a feeler to see if anyone would be around to assist.

I live in Providence, and my driveway isn't the smoothest driveway in the world. While it's possible to get the engine and the car to somewhere else more ideal for the work, I need to plan that ahead of time if needed. I've got 55 miles free towing.

Doing it my driveway is a bit more ideal from a convenience perspective, but if people that are helping insist on a different location, it's doable.

Anyone helping gets beer and food on me.

Amending this to expand the days targeted. Especially if it is all done in my driveway, and double especially if I don't get any assistance, I will probably just take off the wed, thur, and/or friday prior to that weekend to get everything started and moving. In theory it could be done in a day, but theory and actuality are often not really the same thing :)

I'm down for it, all depending on the date. Already offered my engine hoist as well. :)

Gonna start dismantling the engine bay tomorrow. Going to figure out how to get it through my fence into the backyard since it will take a while doing this myself. So moving it elsewhere is getting ruled out.

Request still open, but going to assume I'm solo on this.

Marc: I can pick it up whenever works for you, from tomorrow morning onward.

Hrm, actually...it can't fit in the 8 can it? Means the van, and that rules out tomorrow, so probably sunday evening?

It's not going anywhere now. Took down a section of fence at the top of my driveway and drove it through the gap between two posts. Had 1.5 inches to spare. That's a combined number of clearance on both sides. :)

But plenty of room, flat patio, and a more secure working area than my driveway.

IMAG0404.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the built motor is gone, but the guy has a 99 motor for $600 that he is pulling on Monday or Tuesday. Talked with him some more and he buys wrecked Miatas and parts them out.

Hoses and wires are all out, accessories coming out next.

I've decided that since my A/C is dead anyway, and so rarely used that the first time I tried to use it is when I found it was dead, I'm not going to be re-installing the A/C on the new engine.

Just debating about the power steering now. Tempted to take the time to depower the rack (http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php)

One less thing to re-install, no belts or attachments on that side of the engine at all then, ~50lb weight savings etc... I just don't know how much I will like it, or not. Thinking I probably will, because I think it's current PS is too overpowered, specially at highway speeds. I can feel the rear very very well, but not so much the front.

Also figured out (from looking through exhaust manifold removal instructions) that my Miata is a CA emissions spec. (ugh) Going to see what I can do about correcting that at the same time.

Some pics, before and during the work so far:

Tagged up as much as I could ahead of time. Tagging with tape as I go for labeling stuff.
Left side (intake)
IMAG0385.jpg

Right side (exhaust)
IMAG0386.jpg

Center:
IMAG0391.jpg

Right side partly disassembled: (PS and AC are both on this side's accessory belt)
IMAG0405.jpg

Overall
IMAG0407.jpg

Closer
IMAG0408.jpg

Got my wife's agreement to keeping the Miata anyway, clearing the way for the AC and PS delete.

Picked up the engine hoist from Marc last night. Thanks again man.

Getting the needed chain and a few large wrench sizes I am missing today after work. Will also be finding out later today when I can pick up the new engine. Might have someone coming over to help from Miata.net at some point.

Currently still need to:
- unbolt the engine from the transmission
- unbolt the engine from the motor mounts
- Evac the AC and remove the compressor (won't be going back in)
- Disconnect the lower water line
- Figure out what is still holding the exhaust manifold on the engine (9 bolts out and still won't budge)

And once the engine is out:
- Remove the alternator and lower intake manifold

Waiting for a reply email from Flyin Miata regarding some replacement gaskets and vacuum lines that I definitely shouldn't try to reuse.

So, found out a few things today in my ..um...lack of progress.

1: The engine can't really be unbolted from the transmission with them still in their installation position, have to basically remove them from the power plant frame to get to all the engine/transmission bolts, and then the transmission isn't attached to anything anyway. Apparently the best way of doing this is to unbolt the PPF, slide it out of the way, remove the brake calipers and steering rack, then unbolt the entire front subframe onto a support or dolley or something, lift the front end of the car high enough to roll it out. Then basically handle everything outside the car, and then install in reverse.

2: My A/C didn't work because apparently the charge has been entirely leaked to the air. Further reinforces just deleting the whole system. I don't feel like paying to find the leak, fix it, and charge the system again, even if I wanted A/C

And found someone from Miata.net offering tools and help, which is cool. Implied he had power tools as well, which is a big plus.

Noted ^ Never been over there yet, will keep it that way.

Just picked up materials to build myself a quality engine/subframe dolly, and will be building it tonight. 3 wheels, 2 fixed 1 pivot, includes a brake built into the pivot wheel. Individual wheel weight rating is 225lbs, so I figure that's plenty. $40 total in materials and probably won't use all of the wooden 2x2s I bought. Will be making it solid and such, nothing flimsy. A bunch of galvanized steel bolts. Doing it right.

Planning on taking it with me to pick up the new engine, tying down the new engine to it and then it to the tie-down points in the 5, so when I get home, I can just use the engine hoist to lift it out and set it on it's wheels, roll it into the back yard. Use the excess wood to build a stationary cradle to hold it and then move the dolly under the car to hold the subframe.

I pick up the engine tomorrow night.

Well, replacement engine in hand, hanging on the engine hoist next to the Miata. He actually left 2 gaskets I need, 1 vacuum hose I need, the upper and lower intake manifold, and handed me a brand new water pump since his tech snapped one of the brackets off the existing water pump during the removal.

Gonna be scrubbing it down, cleaning a bunch of stuff on the engine, probably polishing a bunch of stuff then sealing with something that makes sense.

Start dropping the subframe tomorrow, or whenever the heat lets me.

Back