'91 626 starter on an FSDE?

br289165

:
'02 P5/2 Audi A4s
Has anyone tried the '91 626 2.2l engine starter for more torque on a high compression FSDE?

Last edited:
Do you seriously think a slight bump in compression is going to cause the starter to not be able to start the car?

I am not trying to be rude, I'm legitimately asking you. Do you seriously think an extra pt. or two in compression is going to prevent the starter from turning over the motor? Do you realize how much pressure would have to be in the cylinder to prevent the starter to turn? Those mini starters crank out more torque than the FSDE.

Ive gone through 4 new starters.Whats the difference what I think or what you think. I asked a question,you don't have any constructive information although you appear to be highly knowledgable on everything. You must be what they call a "threadjacker".But thanks for bumping the thread!

Last edited:
Something else is burning up your starters or you should try OEM. It's not the motor

Something else is burning up your starters or you should try OEM. It's not the motor

OEM starter is 1 kilowatt starter that is not very powerful there's a reason why they make high torque high powers starters for high compression and I have over 11 to 1 compression. The starter I mention is a 1.4 kilowatt starter much more powerful and it appears that it will line up I just want to make sure I don't damage my flywheel. Maybe your knowledge or opinion can provide me with answers as to why my starters are burning up I'm interested in hearing what you have to offer thus far it has been generalizations and speculation with no specific input.

Last edited:
I have never heard of anyone using a different starter on a Protege. Ever. Just thought it was a strange question

The 1.4kW starter is also found on KIA motors, possibly from the model with the FE3 engine in it. I can't quite remember how I worked out the right one but look carefully at the number of teeth and mounting bolt pattern.

IIRC you are using a Microtech. I've found that with the MT, it's good to have the larger starter as it got the starting revs up a bit higher, which made tuning a bit easier.

The 1.4kW starter is also found on KIA motors, possibly from the model with the FE3 engine in it. I can't quite remember how I worked out the right one but look carefully at the number of teeth and mounting bolt pattern.

IIRC you are using a Microtech. I've found that with the MT, it's good to have the larger starter as it got the starting revs up a bit higher, which made tuning a bit easier.

Ahh,Ausorion always comes through! Have you had any problems like this?Thanks

RockAuto does actual pictures for there listings. So just going there, and comparing the starters for each, it does look like the starter for the 2.2 is the same physical design, and bolt pattern as the FS 2.0 starter.

Yes thank you,i did compare pics and they look similar,there is a length difference of the head to case end by 13mm and the terminals are vertically aligned rather than horizontally as is stock,according to specs.My main concern is whether they are driven the same way.

Last edited:
Back