88' rx7 seals and gaskets

Muppet

:
88' rx7
Hi muppet here, im new to the site and just purchased an 88' gxl, it has been sitting for 4 to 5 years and been started once or twice in that time span. its clean in and out with one dent just infront of the rear fender.
My question is will it need new gaskets? ive been told that they shrink and go bad after they sit for over 6 months or so but am currently replacing fluids, (trans, diff, gas, ext) tires, and the battery so i have not had the chance to sit down and see if its going to run.(it does turn over ok) any input is appriciated!!!

If it starts and runs OK, don't worry about it. The only gaskets that I can think of that are any more vulnerable than a piston engine might be those of the exhaust, since a rotary exhaust is alot hotter than it's piston counterpart.

Edit: Most 'seals' in a rotary...apex; side, corner seals are metal so shrinkage isn't an issue, though after sitting along time they can stick. Nothing you can do about that in advance. There are also some soft seals, like oil control and coolant seals but again, those are all internal. So back to my first suggestion...if it runs OK, IMO, don't worry about it.

If I could make a suggestion, consider new plugs and a good fuel system cleaner (I like the Chevron-Techron stuff) too. Run the car a few hundred miles on the new oil and then maybe change it again with a good filter. Congrats, good luck and post back (maybe with some pictures?) when you get it up and running. (2thumbs)

Last edited:
will do, thanks for the info its very appriciated. It will hopefully be running this weekend(11/17).....assuming everything goes smoothly.

Original 89' turbo 2 black leather seat. Passenger side, if you or you know anyone who may want it. Only has one hole below head rest not on it, easily fixable. It's just sitting in my room I use it as a chair rarely. PM me.

Leather still looks new.

Back