4-2-1 or 4-1 Header ??

SgtPecker876

:
Mazda Protege5
I'm trying to decied which header is the best,4-2-1 or 4-1 for the 2002 Mazda Protege 5 automactic. Any info would be great.

Thank You
Brian

I was trying to decide the same thing. I know that 4-2-1 is low range 4-1 is high range. Wouldnt that mean that during normal driving conditions u get better power from the 4-2-1 headers, but during racing (high RPMs) the 4-1 is gives more gain? And since i mainly want gains during racing to get the best times from my car that 4-1 headers make the most sense?
These r just assumptions i made, i get no extra info anytime I or anyone else asks this question, so please correct me if im wrong. Any other brite theories? (thought)

the 4-2-1 gives better mid range power but is not necessarily worse at high RPM than the 4-1. I would definitely get the 4-2-1 design, no sense in losing our engine's only real strong point (midrange n/a torque)

LOL our engines stong point? thats like the smartest of the retarded hahaha.

btw any sound difference in these?

our engine need help in the top end area i just put a 4-1 and noticed a huge diffrence, i recommend obx, ractive or awr. Thier all good headers awr is prob designed the best but ive heard of ATX cars having fitment issues.

think of it this way :

4-2-1 designs have 2 power rpm areas because the pipes merge twice, 4-1 designs have 1 power rpm area. this is why 4-1's tend to be focused at high rpm because thats where most people want the most power. 4-2-1's can get as much power as 4-1's up high (both should yield the same power if designed well), but also get a benefit down lower, which is why they are considered mid-range power headers. however 4-1's are usually easier to design.

Yeah 4-1's are generally much easier to manufacture and not screw up...which makes them cheaper, and less likely to be hand made...4-2-1's are generally hand made and much more tedious to be made properly, thus more expensive...

Case in point, even the mild steel AWR header is hand made and is over $400, or used to be...

but regardless Andy hit it...4-2-1's help with entire rev range usually by eliminating pumping losses, as well as help with high end scavaging...While most 4-1's simply give a broader powerband up high, and can sometimes hurt lowend slightly...depending on the pipe merging and ID's...

but all that is somewhat meaningless with the available headers for the FS...all give noticable gains, within a few whp of each other...and the OBX 4-1 is much cheaper, and hasn't shown any lowend losses, with almost all of the AWR's mid range and high end performance...But ithe OBX is nickel plated steel, rather than full stainless...and the AWR is hand made (which is not necessarily a better thing, there have been some quality problems in the past from them)...its a price matter really...the AWR is almost double the price of the OBX...and will most likely last longer, with better welds and the fact that it is full stainless...for racing purposes, it is also a better candidate for heat wrapping, which wouldn't be a great idea on coated steel...But don't feel like downgrading to only an OBX will leave you with a ton less hp...that is not the case for mild modding on an NA protege...

Mike R said:
Doesn't really matter, the HP gains between the two are marginal on these motors.

this has been proven time and time again on several different engines. I hope the thread starter reads this post.

I was all in for getting the AWR, Tony is great, almost every part on my car is AWR. But there were (not anymore) fitment issues and the price difference, I bought the OBX. I wasn't disappointed.

Senor, did you have BOTH the OBX and the Ractive? My OBX made all the topend better..

Last edited:
No i had mazda racing (back in the day) then i just got the ractive... while seems to be a lil sloopy it was worth the cost that i got it at. The mazda racing was 4-2-1 and i didnt like it at all.

Its not that its really HP gains more or less frees up the power.

I've been using the OBX with much love. If I had my choice though I would use the wagner shorty with cat-less DP though. I bet that would be a screamer.

Back