37.17 mpg

Filled her up today @ $2.83 a gallon. 26.72mpg this tank and 310.6 miles on the tripometer.

pfive said:
yes - the computer will downshift very quickly...
Too quickly in my opinion.

On a somewhat related note, is it my imagination or does the torque converter unlock as soon as the accelerator is fully released? Has anybody else seen the following:

On an empty road (so you can watch the tachometer without hitting anybody) - cruise up to 40mph and then keep it there. After a couple of seconds the RPM drop by about 200 when the torque converter locks. Now take your foot off the gas and let it drop to 38 or 37 mph. Supposedly that's within the range where the torque converter stays locked. Gently accelerate back to 40mph (as little pressure on the accelerator as humanly possible) it first goes to the higher RPM before dropping down by 200 again. However if the car is allowed to decelerate to 38 without fully releasing the accelerator and is then accelerated back up to 40 mph it stays at the lower RPM the whole time.

Seems like a total waste of gas if you're just slowly speeding up and slowing down and don't need much acceleration. Makes sense to release the lock when mashing the accelerator, sure, or when braking hard, but why unlock when the car is just coasting a bit to slow down? Is it common for cars to unlock the torque converter when the accelerator is released?

went 350 miles on 12.0 gallons; 29.17 MPG. about 180 highway miles and the rest was my normal 25 mpg average weekly driving........

not bad!

-R

On the highway you get your estimated MPG set by the manufacturer at 65 mph and every 5 mph faster than that you lose 1 mpg. From what i've read

Flash5 said:
I get about 26 mpg but 90-100% city driving

i usually get around 24-5 with my normal weekly driving with 80-90% city driving.........

not bad.

Martino617 said:
whats everyone mileage per week? I average between 380-400miles a week and
I get 31-33mpg.

im getting 400/m per tank i fill it up around 1/2 tank alot because i never know when the gas will go up again. at a 1/2 tank I am at 200 miles, sumtimes more. it depends on how much stop and go im in and of course the weather.

Last fill up, I got 29.11 mpg. That's probably 70/30 highway/city. I think I could have gotten it 30 or over if my wife hadn't driven it a couple of times. (No disrespect meant to her...she just has a lead foot on take offs.)

Crime Dog said:
Last fill up, I got 29.11 mpg. That's probably 70/30 highway/city. I think I could have gotten it 30 or over if my wife hadn't driven it a couple of times. (No disrespect meant to her...she just has a lead foot on take offs.)

no dissin my wife either, but wives lower MPG considerably...its just a fact of life. i can drive her car and get 28 highway and she drives it, its like 21...not sure why....

aMaff said:
why wouldn't you use regular? It gives no performance increase, and actually hurts performance. The ignition timing is going to be off with higher octanes b/c the ECU is not tuned to properly utilize it.

No, def...I agree fully and know that...jus was makin sure. Comon now...thats common sense...id think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filled up a while ago...at half tank exactly currently with 217miles on the tac...so thad be 6.75 gallons from what everyones saying (at half tank) = 32.15MPG...better then I initally said I guess, but I'm still workin on that 35-37MPG!!!?!

Last edited:
nah, don't get your hopes up, there's a lot of room above "F" - by the time you get to 1/2, you've used more than half your gas...

I dont get how you people get such good gas mileage. I never get above like 28.5mpg.

downhill with a tailwind, that's how

real world, mid to high 20s

the way I see it, I'm gonna enjoy driving even if it means I never see 30+ mpg

fortunately for me, I don't have a commute and only drive for leisure

19 city 30 highway i take the curviest road possible to school so im rompin the s*** outa the gas pedal

With my typical frequent redlining and always shifting in the 4.5-5k range when not redlining, I got like 28-9mpg last fill.. then since that time I have tried shifting at 2.5k-3k (3k when like on a highway onramp). I got 25.2mpg, the worst gas mileage I have ever seen with this car. Yeah, it wasn't really scientific, but I'm sure as hell not going to waste my time at low RPMs. I basically had to keep the car floored through 1-4th to get up to speed shifting at those low RPMs.

nate0123 said:
nah, don't get your hopes up, there's a lot of room above "F" - by the time you get to 1/2, you've used more than half your gas...

So how many gallons do you think I used then... I filled it up...and didn't force more in...so And what do you mean exactly...

Back