3 NEED-TO-KNOWS about the MSP

zipzoom

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

After months of researching and scouring the internet for the Mazdaspeed Protege, I have finally found one somewhat close to me and within my price range. I currently own a 91 Miata and within a week I will own an MSP. The miata has treated me well, so I'd like to extend my Mazda collection.

As a new owner of a Protege, and my first vehicle with turbo, I'm asking for each of you to offer 3 tips that you feel a potential MSP owner should know. I'm planning to keep it factory for awhile, so unless there is something you really think needs upgrading, try to give more basic advice. (things to check before buying the car, turbo maintenance, etc...) I think this will be interesting to see what everyone has to say.
I read the problems and solutions forum, and that was pretty helpful, but if you could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys!

-Neil

Your going to have to upgrade my friend. It's the only way they are actually happy. I think Mazda designed to force us the upgrade everything!! But it's well worth it!!!!!!!!!

I think Mazda designed to force us the upgrade everything!!

Yeah. Those bastards. (argh)

Toothpick rods, cheap diesel engine intercooler, feisty ECU...the list goes on...

But if you use your head and mod smart, it's worth it in the end. (thumb)

Wow this thread went dead quick.

A few things to watch out for would be the amount you are boosting, the wastegate tends to go bad but you can get a great replacement for 60 bucks. ATP Wastegate.

I would take off the heat shield and make sure that your manifold isn't cracked. This is also a common problem but seems to be cured if you get it coated prior to it cracking.

I would upgrade the motor mounts. You can get high quality mounts for cheap from medeval. They are a vendor here, and I love the mounts.

Oh and the tune sucks. I would definitely get some type of ECU piggy back. I have the SS AFC v1 running with the super map and its gravy. 34mpg last tank, city and highway mix all the way.

In Order to figure out what you are going to upgrade I would consider your goals. If you are going stock boost I would just upgrade the SMIC, get a set of hard pipes, and get a mid pipe. If you want to go bigger more power, get a fmic with hard pipes and a full exhaust, exhaust mani, stage colder plugs.

3 tips
1. don't up the boost >10psi on stock internals
2. don't drag race it
3. get the clunk fixed

before buying:
1. check for oil leaks around turbo
2. check rear endlinks/sway bar for improper movement
3. check all other normal things when buying a used car

1. Fall in love
2. Make love to it
3. Do sloppy seconds with it :)

great fun car, excellent mod car, especially for rookies!

I would take off the heat shield and make sure that your manifold isn't cracked. This is also a common problem but seems to be cured if you get it coated prior to it cracking.

please tell me what the coat is? and where can i find it(bowdown)

They're talking about getting the manifold "coated" with something like Jet-Hot coating.

34mpg mixed?!? What do you get on a highway trip?

-Eric
soon to be MSP

Wow this thread went dead quick.

Oh and the tune sucks. I would definitely get some type of ECU piggy back. I have the SS AFC v1 running with the super map and its gravy. 34mpg last tank, city and highway mix all the way.

1) Check bad sound system (Lots of problem with kenwood Sub&radio)
2) Check the turbo for Oil (Even check under the car, if the owner hasnt moved it in a while there might be oil leaks. If there is, turn and run)
3) Drive it, before you buy it. Best way to tell if all is good. even if you dont know s*** about cars, when you drive it you can feel is everything is running smoothly

I suppose Im somewhat used to leaks, and reparing them. So.. nope.. I don't fear a leak... I see it as an opportunity to clean, fix and upgrade something.

Back