225 azenis sport on a msp ?!?!?!

AutoBox

:
rockin the awd.....
i know it rubs with the stock setup...but if i got a 5mm spacer on...would that be enough to pull it from the strut???

AutoBox said:
i know it rubs with the stock setup...but if i got a 5mm spacer on...would that be enough to pull it from the strut???
From what I've heard, you need to trim the plastic fender liner. 5 mm should be enough.

225 mm - 215 mm = 10 mm % 2 = 5 mm

I just mounted 225/45/17 azenis w/enkei RS7 wheels.

I just mounted 225/45/17 azenis sports w/enkei RS7 wheels.

When I put them on the MSP the front clearance was OK, struts and fender/wheel well...however the rears rub on the inside lip of the wheel well where the fenders bends in- just barely under acceleratation. Thinking might be able to bend in the lip and perhaps the tire will fit....Anybody have any experience with this?

I run track events and autocross and would like to get the azenis to work. Any work arounds to run the azenis sports?

03MSPRO said:
From what I've heard, you need to trim the plastic fender liner. 5 mm should be enough.

225 mm - 215 mm = 10 mm % 2 = 5 mm

Cory (03Speed) was running 225 Azenis on his stock RHs before it was totaled & he had GCs too.

what's the offset of the Enkeis? With the correct off set it should not rub anywhere. The problem with the stock rims is that the offset is too big (55 mm) so it rubs against the strut or inner fender liner. If the offset is too little it will rub on the opposite side of the tire where you are having problems. I guess the offset on those rims is like 40-42 mm which is too little. You probably need 45-50 mm. I assume the rims are 7 in. wide.

blaZing said:
No modifications have been done to the suspension...stock.
im lost...i heard the stock setup cant work with the azenis cus it rubs the struts?!?!

42mm...yes the rims are 7in wide.

Any suggestions on 17in wheels that have a 45-50mm offset? Dosent appear the RS7 are available w/45-50mm offset.

03MSPRO said:
what's the offset of the Enkeis? With the correct off set it should not rub anywhere. The problem with the stock rims is that the offset is too big (55 mm) so it rubs against the strut or inner fender liner. If the offset is too little it will rub on the opposite side of the tire where you are having problems. I guess the offset on those rims is like 40-42 mm which is too little. You probably need 45-50 mm. I assume the rims are 7 in. wide.

blaZing said:

Any suggestions on 17in wheels that have a 45-50mm offset? Dosent appear the RS7 are available w/45-50mm offset.
Just as I thought. I think Rota or Volk make rims with 45-50 mm offet.

Tires size varies between manufacturers, just like shoes or chothing. I've seen a picture with the Azenis, Hoosier and Yokohamas put side by side (all 225) and there was quite a difference!! The Falken and Hoosier are much wider than "regular" tires like Yokos. I would say that a 225 Azenis is more like a 235 or even more! Unfortunatly, it just doesn't fit, even with spacers IMO. If I really wanted those tires, I would get some 16" rims with 215/45/R16 and even then it would still be tight...

Last edited:
what wheel/tire combo the protege's running in the speed world challege use?

This is unfortunate. Dropping to 16 will save $$ on wheel/tires.

Wonder what wheel/tire combo the protege's running in the speed world challege use? Think the tires are toyo RA-1s which in 17 are available in 205/235.

thunder said:
Tires size varies between manufacturers, just like shoes or chothing. I've seen a picture with the Azenis, Hoosier and Yokohamas put side by side (all 225) and there was quite a difference!! The Falken and Hoosier are much wider than "regular" tires like Yokos. I would say that a 225 Azenis is more like a 235 or even more! Unfortunatly, it just doesn't fit, even with spacers IMO. If I really wanted those tires, I would get some 16" rims with 215/45/R16 and even then it would still be tight...

blaZing said:
This is unfortunate. Dropping to 16 will save $$ on wheel/tires.

Wonder what wheel/tire combo the protege's running in the speed world challege use? Think the tires are toyo RA-1s which in 17 are available in 205/235.

I'm not totally sure but in the SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge I think the Mazdaspeed Protg uses Toyos Proxes T1S and they have 'em in 215/40/R17...

does anyone have solid answers on this?? my stock potenzas are almost done for and i need a new set of tires....(help)

All cars in the speed challange use the ra1s. I did a track event last month with 4 or so mazdaspeeds. One guy there used the same rims I did. The new kosei k1s. They have offsets that I believe would be benifitial for what you're looking for. 13lbs as well.

Regards.

AutoBox said:
does anyone have solid answers on this?? my stock potenzas are almost done for and i need a new set of tires....(help)
I guess it really depends on what you're lookin' for... the main use of your car etc... For daily driving I'm very pleased with the new Toyo Proxes 4, they're great under the rain, quiet and very grippy, and a 300 UTQG. All of that for 115-140$ it's hard to beat! I suggest you check Tirerack or/and 1010tire for customers reviews to get opinions. Maybe you want to consider 2 different sets: one for the road and one for the track.... Tire preference is really subjective and also depends on your driving style... So, good luck! There's a lot of choice out there!
PS: check the (Bridgestone) Fuzion ZRi, they have great reviews and are really cheap!

Last edited:
i autox at least once a month and i really wana try 225 tires.....anyone have proof that the azenis fit the stock msp with stock suspension and stock everything :)

SWC Mazda Protg / Protg 235/40/17

I dug up some info on the speed world challenge:

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/competitors/bulletins/04-tc-appendixa-2.pdf
MANUFACTURER/MODEL
Mazda Protg / Protg 235/40/17

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/carfacts.html
Touring Car (TC): The wheel diameter used in the TC class is 17". The maximum wheel width is 8". The wheel offset is free provided that the approved bodywork covers the portion of the tire that contacts the track.

Touring Car (TC): The tires used are the Toyo Proxes RA-1 race compound DOT-approved tire. The size used is the same for all TC cars, it is the 235/40/17.

thunder said:
I'm not totally sure but in the SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge I think the Mazdaspeed Protg uses Toyos Proxes T1S and they have 'em in 215/40/R17...

Latest posts

Back