2022 CX-9 Creaking Videos

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin
What do you guys think? Anyone have this sound?

Last edited:
Uuuy, these suspension issues are so annoying. Mazda needs to iron this out already. My 2020 CX-9 with only 21k miles has creaks and clunks going over speed bumps and driveways as well as my wifes 2021 CX-5 with 10k miles and it is NOT the cowl nuts being loose. Dealer is worthless and won't just replace parts on a whim. Idiots just say everything is tight and tell me to come back when it gets worse. Real techs I tell you. Doesn't matter how specific and detailed my written on paper concern is on exactly what the problem is and the circumstances that cause it, they still manage to say they can't duplicate it. I hear this $hit everyday. There is no way in the world that if they took 5 minutes to read and follow my instructions that they wouldnt be able to recreate it. Blows my mind. The aggrevation and hastle of dealing these incompetent people is unbelievable.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Maybe your sway bar or sway bar links are loose or strut mount nuts loose. The sound is not creaking in the video but more clunking.

Tighted all 12 cowl bolts to spec, removed cowl plate from vehicle, removed end links and secured sway bar, removed lower engine covers, replaced right front LCA(dealer), sprayed all bushings with fluid film. Sprayed upper strut area with fluid film, checked torque on sub frame bolts, checked torque on upper strut mount nuts. Still creaks/ckunks

Uuuy, these suspension issues are so annoying. Mazda needs to iron this out already. My 2020 CX-9 with only 21k miles has creaks and clunks going over speed bumps and driveways as well as my wifes 2021 CX-5 with 10k miles and it is NOT the cowl nuts being loose. Dealer is worthless and won't just replace parts on a whim. Idiots just say everything is tight and tell me to come back when it gets worse. Real techs I tell you. Doesn't matter how specific and detailed my written on paper concern is on exactly what the problem is and the circumstances that cause it, they still manage to say they can't duplicate it. I hear this $hit everyday. There is no way in the world that if they took 5 minutes to read and follow my instructions that they wouldnt be able to recreate it. Blows my mind. The aggrevation and hastle of dealing these incompetent people is unbelievable.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Maybe your sway bar or sway bar links are loose or strut mount nuts loose. The sound is not creaking in the video but more clunking.
Yup, pretty pissed. Can't even sell it. Probably gonna trade it and lose thousands. Love the car, hate the clunking when I drive it

Do you find temp/humidity changes anything?

I'll get the single strut area "pop/clunk" when turning from a stop, but I also get that exact creaking when rolling over the top the speed humps in the neighborhood. I'll go days without hearing it though, so there might be other variables at play..

Has anyone on here swapped out strut bearings?

Yes. There is a "temp" factor I believe. For example yesterday morning it was quite. Then mid day (aprox 55f) it came on strong. I don't know if it's the engine heat soaking something in the engine compartment or if it's the rubber elastomers in the bushings above the strut and the lca. But yes there is a variable acting upon the noise

I think I am down to either the bushings rotating in thier bore on the LCAs or strut/upper bearing/mount. The rear LCA bush has a TSB on 2020s and prior. Mine is a 2022. But that does not make it immune to this problem. I might try to troubleshoot the rear bushing by loosening the bolt which pinches the inner metal piece. That would allow it to rotate on the bolt and not slip/stick in the bore. The slip/stick was the subject of the TSB. Of course if I do that I'll have to get an alignment but at this point I'm kind of all in on this one. I'm pretty close to trading this thing in on a pilot. I love the car but I'm not going to listen to this anymore.

I have an appointment with the Mazda dealer tomorrow. I'm going to insist that they replace both struts and both strut upper bearings and strut mounts. I opened a case with Mazda and I think this is my fourth time to the dealer. My dealer is actually pretty good. They didn't hesitate on putting on the LCA. It's walser Mazda Burnsville Minnesota if anybody wants to know a good Mazda dealership in Minneapolis St Paul area. There's another one nearby called Morrie's Mazda and they said they couldn't hear the problem. They had two mechanics that couldn't hear the problem. I think the problem is with their mechanics.

I honestly think the strut bearing mounts are defective. It is definitely temperature sensitive. Of course getting a steelership to do anything but say cannot duplicate is an act of Congress and extremely annoying

I honestly think the strut bearing mounts are defective. It is definitely temperature sensitive. Of course getting a steelership to do anything but say cannot duplicate is an act of Congress and extremely annoying
Yea, I have to say that's highly likely. But to have a Japanese suspension component be bad is so so rare. I wish I could make a confirmed diagnosis. Been doing Maxda's job with all my troubleshooting but like you said earlier they wont do it. If there isn't a DTC code its good. Idiots

I'd look into your states lemon law to see if it qualifies, instead of just selling, which would be at a significant loss. You have the advantage of it being loud enough where you can reproduce it on video and the issue already being recorded by the dealer. You shouldn't have to live with it or pay $10k+ to switch cars because of a problem that is covered under warranty. I wouldn't try to diagnose or fix it myself. I'd just keep recording it making the noise after the visit to the dealer and bring it right back afterwards and look into lemon law. Your dealer should understand its nothing personal and it doesn't need to be.

I'd look into your states lemon law to see if it qualifies, instead of just selling, which would be at a significant loss. You have the advantage of it being loud enough where you can reproduce it on video and the issue already being recorded by the dealer. You shouldn't have to live with it or pay $10k+ to switch cars because of a problem that is covered under warranty. I wouldn't try to diagnose or fix it myself. I'd just keep recording it making the noise after the visit to the dealer and bring it right back afterwards and look into lemon law. Your dealer should understand its nothing personal and it doesn't need to be.
Thank you for you post. Yea, I think the dealer knows I will keep returning at this point. They might keep trying or give up. I opened the case last week and the lady said that if the dealer can't fix it or won't fix it I can bring it to a different dealer. But I tried that and the second dealer was horrible. She said if I can't get any resolution it'll get assigned to a case manager and there's a possibility of Mazda buying the car back. My brothers an attorney and I helped him do his brakes on his f-150. Maybe it's time he can return the favor and look into that lemon law for me. The murky part of this is is that noise "enough" to trigger Mazda to step in.

Do you hear it outside the car? Have you try to narrow down to the driver side or the passenger side?
I tried to use my phone to video the noise as I drove by the smooth curb. But it was drowned out by the engine noise. It's definitely on the right front region of the vehicle. And it occurs when the front right suspension is in it's "stroke" or when there's torsional forces being applied to the front end.

My note to the service dept. And no, I am not worried about these actions voiding my warranty

Attachments

• 20231010_094539.jpg
    20231010_094539.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 55
If you open the passenger door and use it for leverage to rock the car, are you able to replicate the noise? Also try this with the front passenger wheel on the curb to load up the suspension a bit and rock it

If you open the passenger door and use it for leverage to rock the car, are you able to replicate the noise? Also try this with the front passenger wheel on the curb to load up the suspension a bit and rock it
Yea, I tried using both doors as levers to compress the suspension. Its too stiff. I even stood on the cross brace over the radiator on both sides. Not enuf to get deep enuf into the "stroke" to make it happen.

All summer in the heat, mine were popping off multiple times a drive, now that it's cooling down, I only notice every so often, always after I come to a stop and turn left or right while taking off.

Won't notice it much at all over winter. I hope you troubleshoot it. A bit disheartening that a company that takes pride in it's engineering prowess doesn't seem committed to following up on known issues.

Back