2017 Owner's manual is now available online (U.S./Canada/Mexico)

Minor complaint, but hoping the radio (and Bluetooth) continues to operate after I stop the engine. Most cars wait until the driver door is opened.

Minor complaint, but hoping the radio (and Bluetooth) continues to operate after I stop the engine. Most cars wait until the driver door is opened.
You can do it on CX-5 by shutting down the engine with gear still in "D" instead of "P". Or you shift into "P" but keep pressing the gear release button on the shift stick when you turn the ignition off.

Yes, you can still use Bluetooth after turning the car off. I've attempted to make calls while getting out of the CX5 (door open) and my iPhone asks me if I want to use via Bluetooth or just the iPhone.

You can do it on CX-5 by shutting down the engine with gear still in "D" instead of "P". Or you shift into "P" but keep pressing the gear release button on the shift stick when you turn the ignition off.

Little confused. I'll admit, I'm a girl, but can't you do some damage by turning off the car while it's in drive?? I mean, that can't be good for the engine can it????

And we seem to be getting mixed answers, so let's clarify. If I'm streaming music via Bluetooth and turn off the car (while in park), will the music still continue to play? (Currently drive a Ford Edge, and the music will continue to play until you open the drivers door).

Last edited:
Little confused. I'll admit, I'm a girl, but can't you do some damage by turning off the car while it's in drive?? I mean, that can be good for the engine can it????

And we seem to be getting mixed answers, so let's clarify. If I'm streaming music via Bluetooth and turn off the car (while in park), will the music still continue to play? (Currently drive a Ford Edge, and the music will continue to play until you open the drivers door).

Not in the Mazda, no. You'd have to stop the car then turn the ignition on to the accessory position. It will stay on for about 20 minutes then turn itself off.

If I'm streaming music via Bluetooth and turn off the car (while in park), will the music still continue to play? (Currently drive a Ford Edge, and the music will continue to play until you open the drivers door).

Not in the Mazda, no. You'd have to stop the car then turn the ignition on to the accessory position. It will stay on for about 20 minutes then turn itself off.

if you want to keep the music playing after turning off the car, leave the car in drive, turn off the car then shift into park.

...and then remember to press the start button again to turn off accessories. Why can't Mazda just make this simple update. All other cars I've driven wait until the driver door is opened.

After reading through the manual, I thought many functions are very similar to previous-gen CX-5 in many ways. Assuming the contents of this 2017 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual is correct, I came up with the following interesting finds:

• Engine oil capacity for SkyActiv-G 2.5L still say 4.8 US quarts but it should be at least 5.25 quarts.

One additional change between the 2 manuals regarding oil level: My '16 manual labels the 2 holes in the dipstick as "Full" and "Low" whereas this '17 manual labels them as "Max" and "Min". It's a subtle but significant change IMHO. Since the 4.8 qts. will get you to to just beyond halfway between the 2 holes, it's not wrong.

Little confused. I'll admit, I'm a girl, but can't you do some damage by turning off the car while it's in drive?? I mean, that can't be good for the engine can it????

I can see there're mixed info even in this thread. But to answer your question, there's absolutely no harm to turn off your engine in Drive! Or you can turn off your engine while in Park but keep the gear shift lock on the stick pressed. This way, your infotainment system will be kept on until you press the ignition Start/Stop button twice to turn the whole system off. I only use radio and USB memory stick listening to the music, but I'm pretty sure you still can listening to streaming music with BlueTooth since the whole infotainment system is on! :)

One additional change between the 2 manuals regarding oil level: My '16 manual labels the 2 holes in the dipstick as "Full" and "Low" whereas this '17 manual labels them as "Max" and "Min". It's a subtle but significant change IMHO. Since the 4.8 qts. will get you to to just beyond halfway between the 2 holes, it's not wrong.
I see what you mean. Just like adding an "X" mark at higher position on diesel's dipstick for mandatory oil change. Both diesel and gasoline SkyActiv engines suffer oil dilution issues in different ways.

Why would the glass be more expensive because of HUD?
Firstly, according to Canadian spec new CX-5 windshield is a thicker noise-isolating windshield. Secondly, HUD normally requires special coating on windshield to reflect the image back. This special windshield definitely would be more expensive to replace!

Firstly, according to Canadian spec new CX-5 windshield is a thicker noise-isolating windshield. Secondly, HUD normally requires special coating on windshield to reflect the image back. This special windshield definitely would be more expensive to replace!

Noise isolating windshield of course (small price to pay for this improvement!), but a small patch of reflective coating (which may or may not be there... is it actually a thing? it should reflect back just fine on untreated glass) would hardly increase costs by much.

Noise isolating windshield of course (small price to pay for this improvement!), but a small patch of reflective coating (which may or may not be there... is it actually a thing? it should reflect back just fine on untreated glass) would hardly increase costs by much.
Heads Up Display Windshield Replacement Cost (eeek!)
Blax said:
Interesting piece of trivia I thought you guys might appreciate. I had a rock hit my windshield...less than a dollar coin size dent.

Patching the spot was $90 at the dealer, but if it starts to spider crack a replacement windshield is $2100. This is because I have the Heads Up display and the entire glass is polarized.

Of course it's covered by insurance, but one might consider the replacement cost when choosing the heads up display.

yrwei52 or others may correct me if necessary, but my understanding is that, unlike BSM, ABSM also alerts you on fast approaching vehicles as well, even before they enter your blind spot zone.
Yes, Advanced BSM added more logic in software comparing the neighborhood vehicle speeds with the speed of itself. It'll alert you only fast approaching vehicles like you said, but won't for vehicles slower than you or the one you're passing. It greatly reduces number of alerts as the old BSM basically warns you for ANY vehicles NEAR you.

Having used the HUD, on my test drives, I'm sold. I loved it, by far the coolest thing on the vehicle.

Latest posts

Back