2017 Mazda CX9 help

There is a video in Youtube showing how to use Brake Hold in a KIA car or SUV. This is exactly how works in the CX9!

I don't know in Hyundai, but in KIA, Brake Hold is Hill Launch Assistance:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/hla/
The hill launch assistance is different feature that keep your car from rolling back when you let go of the brake pedal. "Brake hold"feature is only help you at stop light so you dont have to depress the brake pedal yourself. The Electric parking brake is the traditional hand brake before

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The hill launch assistance is different feature that keep your car from rolling back when you let go of the brake pedal. "Brake hold"feature is only help you at stop light so you dont have to depress the brake pedal yourself. The Electric parking brake is the traditional hand brake before

I agree 100% with you. I know what is hill launch assistance in mazda.

I know what is Brake Hold in brands like Mercedes.

But in Kia ( see the video in this same thread, 2 posts before this one) they do a brake hold in order to get Hill Assistance.

And this exact same procedure can be done in the mazda cx9 with electronic brakes to get Brake Hold functionality with red traffic lights.

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

I agree 100% with you. I know what is hill launch assistance in mazda.

I know what is Brake Hold in brands like Mercedes.

But in Kia ( see the video in this same thread, 2 posts before this one) they do a brake hold in order to get Hill Assistance.

And this exact same procedure can be done in the mazda cx9 with electronic brakes to get Brake Hold functionality with red traffic lights.

Really. I gonna go to the dealer to try it out see how it actually work. So far i like the CX9 a lot. My wife like it too maybe if migh change my mind at the end before making the purchase.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Really. I gonna go to the dealer to try it out see how it actually work. So far i like the CX9 a lot. My wife like it too maybe if migh change my mind at the end before making the purchase.

I see the Kia video with time and they feature some extras like the hold switch etc.

My point at the end is if you are in traffic light with the new cx9 and you use the electric brake, you can remove the foot from the pedal.

But this is not advertised anywhere.

I see the Kia video with time and they feature some extras like the hold switch etc.

My point at the end is if you are in traffic light with the new cx9 and you use the electric brake, you can remove the foot from the pedal.

But this is not advertised anywhere.

Technically you can just use the EPB but in some case you get distracted and take off with down release the EPB it can cause problem in long run.

There is a video in Youtube showing how to use Brake Hold in a KIA car or SUV. This is exactly how works in the CX9!

The EPB on KIA is little different than Hyundai EPB. You can just press on the gas pedal and it will automatic release, however hyundai EPB required you to release it manually. Auto hold on both KIA and Hyundai are the same though.

I believe the new CX9 yes have Brake hold or a similar function and is a different feature than Hill Assistance.

How works:

If you are in D (Drive Gear) in a long red traffic light and your foot is tired, you just press the electronic parking brake button and the brake pedal will move down to let you know the brake is in hold. The display in the front will show the BRAKE led turned on in RED to let you know the brake is applied.

You can then remove the foot from the brake pedal without moving the Gear from Drive.

When you get your green light in the traffic light, you just put your foot on the brake pedal again and remove the hold brake by pressing the electronic brake switch again.

I test it and works but I need to read the manual to see if this is by design or what.

Not sure but I don't think the 2016 cx9 has brake hold, what you're describing above is just engaging the electronic parking brake, but you have to lift up the parking brake switch each time you want to rest your right foot in traffic and in the long run this is not good for your parking brakes, I don't even think you need to manually turn off the parking brake switch, as soon as you hit the accelerate pedal the parking brake system will sense it and deactivate the electronic parking brake but like I said this is not good for the brakes or your rotors in the long run it wasn't intended for traffic.

the brake hold in other cars do it automatically whenever the speedometer reaches zero see here, no need to lift up the parking brake each time you stop

Last edited:
Not sure but I don't think the 2016 cx9 has brake hold, what you're describing above is just engaging the electronic parking brake, but you have to lift up the parking brake switch each time you want to rest your right foot in traffic and in the long run this is not good for your parking brakes, I don't even think you need to manually turn off the parking brake switch, as soon as you hit the accelerate pedal the parking brake system will sense it and deactivate the electronic parking brake but like I said this is not good for the brakes or your rotors in the long run it wasn't intended for traffic.

the brake hold in other cars do it automatically whenever the speedometer reaches zero see here, no need to lift up the parking brake each time you stop

I think the CX9 EPB can be release by step on the gas pedal. Can anyone confirm it.

I think the CX9 EPB can be release by step on the gas pedal. Can anyone confirm it.

Yes, it will release from a stop, but I don't think Mazda designed it to be used regularly, only once in a blue moon for those who forget to release the brakes manually so the car doesn't "hurt" itself,

even with the electronic parking brake engaged, like a second the car won't move, if accelerator is pressed even more,eventually the computer will realize what's going on and release the parking brakes, it wasn't meant to be used regularly,

the proper way is the release the brakes manually. However, if at cruising speed and you need to make an emergency stop the electronic parking brake will work when you lift up the switch, it will help stop the car faster.

Last edited:
Yes, it will release from a stop, but I don't think Mazda designed it to be used regularly, only once in a blue moon for those who forget to release the brakes manually so the car doesn't "hurt" itself, even with the electronic parking brake engaged, like a second the car won't move, in accelerator is pressed even more,eventually the computer will realize what's going on and release the parking brakes, it wasn't meant to be used regularly, the proper easy is the release the brakes manually. However, If as cruising speed and you need to make an emergency stop the electronic parking brake will work when you lift up the switch, it will help so the car faster.n
Agreed. I wish CX9 have that the auto hold feature since they already put the EPB in.

Supposedly this was also the best way to start a Model T rather thank hand cranking it. Those who knew would somehow make sure the engine was sitting at a certain number of degrees of TDC, then they would prime and turn on spark and boom, running engine.

My grandfather (dad's side) had one and father drove one on their farm as a kid. I'll have to ask my dad how things went with starting.

I think there was a grandfather story on my mom's side of him getting knocked out somehow when engine backfired on start.

Agreed. I wish CX9 have that the auto hold feature since they already put the EPB in.

I believe is there. When stop at traffic light, Just pull the EPB and remove the foot from the brake pedal. [emoji4]

I believe is there. When stop at traffic light, Just pull the EPB and remove the foot from the brake pedal. [emoji4]

In long term if you used it everytime it will damage the the components because it basically like the old hand brake,you still feel the car try to move forward but with auto hold you dont have that because completely hold down the car without engage the parking brake

Yes, it will release from a stop, but I don't think Mazda designed it to be used regularly, only once in a blue moon for those who forget to release the brakes manually so the car doesn't "hurt" itself,

even with the electronic parking brake engaged, like a second the car won't move, if accelerator is pressed even more,eventually the computer will realize what's going on and release the parking brakes, it wasn't meant to be used regularly,

the proper way is the release the brakes manually. However, if at cruising speed and you need to make an emergency stop the electronic parking brake will work when you lift up the switch, it will help stop the car faster.
It's designed to be used on regular basis, I think. There is a video on YouTube regarding how to use EPB in CX5 and is explained there. I will share the link as soon as I get in front on my pc (I saved the link)

In long term if you used it everytime it will damage the the components because it basically like the old hand brake,you still feel the car try to move forward but with auto hold you dont have that because completely hold down the car without engage the parking brake

I agree with you in some point. I will love to read this is supported. But try it !!. As soon as you are stopped in D gear and put the EPB you will notice the cx9 is not making a minimum attempt to go ahead. Seems like electronic, sensors, torque converter and transmission "knows" you are in D with break "hold".

I agree with you in some point. I will love to read this is supported. But try it !!. As soon as you are stopped in D gear and put the EPB you will notice the cx9 is not making a minimum attempt to go ahead. Seems like electronic, sensors, torque converter and transmission "knows" you are in D with break "hold".

what you're describing in the new CX-9 you have to lift up the EPB switch each time you want release your foot from the brakes and give your left foot a rest during traffic, I don't think it was designed or advertised for that.

"brake hold" on other vehicles is automatic, you press a button one time while in traffic (set and forget) until you press the button again to turn it off

this is true "brake hold", there's a dedicated button so you don't have to remember to lift up the EPB switch every time at a traffic stop......

Last edited:
You are correct. And with the EPB the brake lights are off. This can be dangerous.

Electric Parking Brake and Auto Hold

No, Mazda doesn't have "Auto Hold" in any of its vehicles, including the new CX-9. "Auto Hold" function means once the vehicle stopped with foot brake, the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) is automatically engaged, you don't need to pull the EPB switch manually like in CX-9. You can remove the foot off the foot brake pedal and the vehicle won't move due to the EPB applied. When you're ready to move, you simply step on gas pedal and the vehicle will automatically release EPB and start moving. Like I mentioned before, there's a space reserved for future "Auto Hold" push button switch by Mazda just next to EPB switch.

Hill Launch Assistance (HLA) is a totally different system on Mazda and controlled by its SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission. It prevents vehicle rolling backward or forward on the hill when you switch your foot from brake pedal to gas pedal. The transmission will hold the vehicle a maximum of 2 seconds.

Latest posts

Back