2017 CX-5: Initial Review

Lit up window and mirror controls isn't premium.
Even the Fiat Punto has them and that's cheaper than a Mazda 2.
It's not a show stopper for me, but I am missing them on my CX-3. All my previous cars had lit up window controls, even my 1992 Fiat Tipo (and that's wasn't even close to being a premium car).

Well when they market it as a 'premium' car that is supposed to compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi(LOL) then yes they should include basic things like this. My CRV has it, so no it's not too much to ask for in a 'premium' car like this.

FWIW, the CX-5 has cross traffic, it isn't on my M4. So let's not confuse features like lit up buttons with being "up-market"

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lit up window and mirror controls isn't premium.
Even the Fiat Punto has them and that's cheaper than a Mazda 2.
It's not a show stopper for me, but I am missing them on my CX-3. All my previous cars had lit up window controls, even my 1992 Fiat Tipo (and that's wasn't even close to being a premium car).

Lit up window or mirror controls don't make a car 'premium', but every premium car offers them and many non-premium cars(Honda, Toyota, etc...) do as well. That's the point I was trying to make. Maybe they're 'saving' it as a feature for their mid-cycle refresh.

Lit up window or mirror controls don't make a car 'premium', but every premium car offers them and many non-premium cars(Honda, Toyota, etc...) do as well. That's the point I was trying to make. Maybe they're 'saving' it as a feature for their mid-cycle refresh.

That's my point. Many cars have them; cheap and expensive and so should the Mazdas (all of them).

Hello forum friends,

last week I had a short test of new cx-5 (EU spec, 2.2 175hp diesel automatic). As you may know I used to have 2013 cx-5, with all those famous problems at the time (oil lever raises, shaky side mirrors.....). So here are my first impressions:

Now, some of the things I don't like so much:

Infotainment system - feels on a small side, and those black plastic ugly bezels make things worse. Not to mention that menu and settings layout seems quite outdated. I guess better/modern graphics wouldn't hurt. Basically the whole central console feels - "empty" in lack of better expression. Everything is there, but something is lacking..... strange feel.

It's actually larger than the 2013's. Feels smaller because it is not inside the dashboard, rather ontop.

Cheers,
Miki

Next people will complain that the gas and brake aren't illuminated. How will we ever find them!?!?!?! :)

They won't complain because they would have installed welcome illumination that lights up the foot well including the pedals (wink)

They do. In Japan. ;)

Watching some clips, looks like only the drivers window for Japan's version are illuminated because it is the only one that has auto up/down.

Here all of our window switches are illuminated because all of them have auto up/down.

Last edited:
FWIW, the CX-5 has cross traffic, it isn't on my M4. So let's not confuse features like lit up buttons with being "up-market"

Yes pretty sure you are well aware that to get all the safety tech which the CX-5 have such as RCTA, BSM, MRCC, LDW, Adaptive LEDs etc, you would have to add $20k (AUD) more on top of your already expensive BMW, Merc or Audi. Quite impressed with the safety features the CX-5 comes with at it's price point compared to most German luxury vehicles.

Watching some clips, looks like only the drivers window for Japan's version are illuminated because it is the only one that has auto up/down.

Here all of our window switches are illuminated because all of them have auto up/down.

Quite surprised at this and pretty cool its now available here in AUS albeit in the higher spec models I believe.

Yes pretty sure you are well aware that to get all the safety tech which the CX-5 have such as RCTA, BSM, MRCC, LDW, Adaptive LEDs etc, you would have to add $20k (AUD) more on top of your already expensive BMW, Merc or Audi. Quite impressed with the safety features the CX-5 comes with at it's price point compared to most German luxury vehicles.

All those features, are standard or part of a package. Point being, cross traffic isn't even offered. (at least in MY 2015)

Realistically, this is a bargain basement commuter that Mazda stripped out to make "lively". The 2017 is starting to go the way of the CR-V and RAV4 because Mazda is learning that "lively" isn't what people want in a CUV, typically, at the <30K price-point. This is why Subaru sells more Foresters than Forester 2.0XT's.

Realistically, this is a bargain basement commuter that Mazda stripped out to make "lively". The 2017 is starting to go the way of the CR-V and RAV4 because Mazda is learning that "lively" isn't what people want in a CUV, typically, at the <30K price-point. This is why Subaru sells more Foresters than Forester 2.0XT's.
They are still keeping the "lively" component but moving slightly more upmarket. Reviewers here believe so

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't blame " Mazda," I blame Mazda NA for robbing us of all the best features. I can't believe that M-NA is ok with dealer installed independent park sensors while the rest of the world gets front AND rear sensors, integrated into the infotainment.

Back