2017 blindspot monitoring

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
I came from a 2016 Cx5 and upgraded to 2017. I always though the blind spot monitoring was a little sensitive in the 2016 but it was manageable. Today I was driving and I saw a truck well behind my blind spot but my light was on and when I went to blink over I was getting beeped at. I had to do a double take that no one was actually in my blind spot and sure enough it was tagging the car well behind me. Anyone else notice this or are my sensors borked?

They've probably made it more sensitive because if they didn't and an accident occurred then Mazda would get blamed for not making it more sensitive.

I came from a 2016 Cx5 and upgraded to 2017. I always though the blind spot monitoring was a little sensitive in the 2016 but it was manageable. Today I was driving and I saw a truck well behind my blind spot but my light was on and when I went to blink over I was getting beeped at. I had to do a double take that no one was actually in my blind spot and sure enough it was tagging the car well behind me. Anyone else notice this or are my sensors borked?

Mine also "warns" me when I have plenty of space to safely change lanes.
I don't neglect the alerts, but continue to go "old-school" and look over my shoulder for a clearance check before merging.

BTW; the BSM has legitimately cautioned me more often than it's given unneeded alerts.

Yup, it's just way too dumb. It doesn't take into account whether you are pulling away from an object that was in your blind spot. But it's just right for objects that are overtaking you. So it often alerts when it's unnecessary. But better to be more conservative in this case. They could fix this if they wanted to.

As Turbo says, you've still got to use your mirrors. Consider the blind spot monitor a secondary warning. Except when you blow and and neglect to look.

I am still a look over my shoulder person but it has caught several motorcycles that was in my blind spot so being a little cautious/sensitive is ok with me

I occasionally get Blindspot warnings if I am in a turn lane. I wonder if it might be when there’s a car behind me that is shifted over slightly in the lane. It seems to happen a little more often in a left turn lane then in a right turn lane.

I also sometimes get a warning if there are two turning lanes, I’m in the outside one, and there are vehicles in the inside one. For example if there are two left turn lanes and I’m in the right-hand one. This kind of makes sense though because if it doesn’t “know” they are turn lanes it “thinks” you might turn into one of those vehicles.

They've probably made it more sensitive because if they didn't and an accident occurred then Mazda would get blamed for not making it more sensitive.

Same thought. Probably just too sensitive.
Hope you don't mind if I record this on the website I made with the hPage website builder. If you guys wanna create a website you may do so there.
Create a free website - hPage.com

Last edited:
I stuck a inexpensive moon shaped blind spot mirror on the upper outside corner of both of my mirrors so it would be easy to check/double check.

Car & Driver even admitted that the 2017 blind spot is more sensitive than the 2016 version. Coming from a 2016, I agree.

Someone in this forum reminded us a long time ago that "advanced" BSM is available starting 2017 MY. As usual I'm very bad at searching past posts.

The 2017 brochure has this additional line:

"...It also warns when fast-traveling vehicles are about to enter a blind spot from further behind."

So you're warned even before the vehicle(s) behind enter the blind spot.

That would be incredibly foolish reasoning on Mazda's part.

It's like the boy who cried wolf. Or a politician who lies all of the time. Before long, we stop listening to them.

So if Mazda makes it too sensitive, some people will ignore the warnings, or even, as some have said, turn it off.

It's just a tool, and only as good as its implementation. Mazda wants it to be the best it can be.

Mazda can't protect drivers from their own mistakes/bad habits/stupidity. They have enough warnings and disclaimers in the OM that their lawyers would probably prevail over anyone foolish enough to blame an accident they caused themselves by not being aware of their surroundings.

Mazda's smarter than that.

Someone in this forum reminded us a long time ago that "advanced" BSM is available starting 2017 MY. As usual I'm very bad at searching past posts.

The 2017 brochure has this additional line:

"...It also warns when fast-traveling vehicles are about to enter a blind spot from further behind."

So you're warned even before the vehicle(s) behind enter the blind spot.

Chevy/GMC also do it this way

I’ve pretty much trained myself to check the hud for the warning then check my mirrors and look back.

I do get the beep alert when in a left turn lane turning after a car has passed. Perhaps a software update would fix that minor issue.

BSM doesn't stop me from still looking over my shoulders as well as checking all mirrors

Latest posts

Back