2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

Now that I have defeated that annoying "beep-beep-beep" from the side monitoring system when you use the turn signals, my SINGLE "b****" is not having a remote opening-closing rear hatchback. When you pick up/drop off someone at the airport, it's an annoyance having to get out of the vehicle amongst the madness of cars pulling in/pulling out/jockeying for position...

Oh yeah - no paddle shifters - but I WILL be retrofitting them to mine, thanks to the great instructions on this fine Forum!

1. Hump on the floor in the back seat area

2. Lack of a trunk open button on the fob (I don't need an auto liftgate, just something to pop it open would be nice)

3. Hydraulic front hood would be very nice option on a GT

4. Would love one touch up/down on the passenger side window

5. Infotainment system is meh. Would love something like the '16 Civic

I don't like the fact that so far, my '16 CX-5 GT with the 2.5L powertrain (and only 1,600 miles on the OD) gets just about as good mpg's as my little '13 Subie Impreza Sport Wagon with a 2.0L engine with 17k miles on it.........it ain't supposed to do that! The Impreza is supposed to be my econobox.......lol (uhm)

Seriously, I'm not complaining, but gonna have to take a good hard look at the Mazda 3 wagon when it gets to time to replace the Subie.......

I don't like the fact that so far, my '16 CX-5 GT with the 2.5L powertrain (and only 1,600 miles on the OD) gets just about as good mpg's as my little '13 Subie Impreza Sport Wagon with a 2.0L engine with 17k miles on it.........it ain't supposed to do that! The Impreza is supposed to be my econobox.......lol (uhm)

Seriously, I'm not complaining, but gonna have to take a good hard look at the Mazda 3 wagon when it gets to time to replace the Subie.......

What are you getting? I'm averaging 28 in my cx5. I averaged like 32/33 in my old elantra. Pretty happy here. L

What are you getting? I'm averaging 28 in my cx5. I averaged like 32/33 in my old elantra. Pretty happy here. L
I'm only getting 25-26 mpg around town in my Impreza. Get about 30-31 on the highway. Not even close to the EPA estimates of 30/36, and I'm no leadfoot. That was my only disappointment with the Subie, otherwise it's been great. Been getting 24-25 around town (with only 1,600 miles on it as I mentioned before) with my CX-5, haven't taken a long trip yet - that comes next week. Very interested to see what it gets on a trip with extended highway speeds.

Hello everyone...new to the forum.

The nav system is really lacking. It doesn't have traffic information. It posts the speed limit but not how fast you're driving. The speed limit image changes to red but no actual speed indication. Otherwise I like the vehicle. I'm 6'5" and fit nicely. I like the seating position better than my 2002 Tahoe Z71 I replaced.

First time Mazda owner and I really like the car but....a couple things that bug me are:

Backup camera is pretty bad and pixelated. Wish I could change it out with my wife's CR-V camera.
The speedometer color is too boring...needs some real color. Plus neon green turn signal color is awful.
The power window button for driver side seems a little flimsy. I feel like I'm going to break it off when I roll the window back up. Not a big deal but why is that one the only one lit up as well?
My left leg starts hurting after awhile because driver side door sticks out too far and plastic is too hard. I sometime have to use the sunscreen protector as a cushion (works great).
To listen to songs on my phone using bluetooth I have to scroll about 7 or 8 clicks to the right to get to the bottom of the screen (using knob on middle console area)...you would think I could go one click left and it would be at the bottom.
I think for buying the GT trim both seats should have power seating.
Heated seats really don't even get mildly warm. Not a huge deal here in the South but still...
Infotainment system is a little buggy sometimes.

Still love my car though...

The fact I have to unload cargo/groceries sitting out in driveway otherwise if I pull into garage and open Liftgate ,Liftgate will hit garage door

noodles!

attachment.php

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...my-2016-CX-5&p=6415119&viewfull=1#post6415119

Only 2 major things that annoy me and/or my wife
1. The manual cloth seats are too deep for someone with short legs. My wife has to put a cushion behind her low back so her calves don't scrape on the seats.
2. The back seats don't fold anywhere near to flat. Makes if very hard to slide big heavy things around as you try to get up and over the hump the seats create.

Lots of good things including handling in dry or snow, great gas mileage, etc.

Only 2 major things that annoy me and/or my wife
1. The manual cloth seats are too deep for someone with short legs. My wife has to put a cushion behind her low back so her calves don't scrape on the seats.

I'm 6'-04" and I wish the seats were a little deeper for more thigh support over a longer distance. They must have made these things to fit the average person. (freak)

2. The back seats don't fold anywhere near to flat. Makes if very hard to slide big heavy things around as you try to get up and over the hump the seats create.

I don't know if Mazda has changed the option packages but when I bought my 2013, only the Sport model came with seats that didn't fold flat (Touring and GT fold flat). That was a major reason I didn't get the Sport model.

Lots of good things including handling in dry or snow, great gas mileage, etc.

(sssh) Shhh! You might upset the local trolls who can't believe the CX-5 could be any better than mediocre in any respect.

Am enjoying my 2016 CX5 GT. The seats are very firm, and I am frustrated that Mazda does not include a light above the trunk area.

A $70,000 BMW X5 and the back seats also DO NOT fold completely down and the back seat headrests hit the front seats and sometimes require the headrests to be removed or the front seats to be moved up.

The audio system is actually better on the CX5 than the BMW X5.

Just a perspective on a $30k CX5 since a vehicle double the price has the same issues as a $70k vehicle.

I do not like the electric parking brake. Sure, I can use it, it seems to work well enough so far. My issue is the whole interface thing, having to press both the clutch and brake to disengage.
I just like the feel and action of the lever better - no lockouts or conditions to be met.

I do not like the electric parking brake. Sure, I can use it, it seems to work well enough so far. My issue is the whole interface thing, having to press both the clutch and brake to disengage.
I just like the feel and action of the lever better - no lockouts or conditions to be met.
Electric parking brake is suited better for automatic transmission. I like it but just hopping for my battery doesn't die when I need the parking brake the most! I do agree the old fashioned mechanical parking brake should be matched with the stick shift. Especially you need it for hill starts!

Electric parking brake is suited better for automatic transmission. I like it but just hopping for my battery doesn't die when I need the parking brake the most! I do agree the old fashioned mechanical parking brake should be matched with the stick shift. Especially you need it for hill starts!

I wonder if unit has some kind of manual release mechanism on it somewhere? It sounds like it is basically a small electric winch and most have some kind of manual release. I can't remember if anyone posted pictures of the unit.

Not sure about the CX-5...

I wonder why the owner's manual doesn't say anything about emergency release on electric brake?

My 2013 Outback w/ electric parking brake had an emergency release, that was located underneath the car! You had to access it with a long screwdriver shaped tool (well hidden in the provided Subaru tool kit!) by breaking a film that covered the release! Mine EB froze up on a bad day, and luckily the tow truck showed up before I was going to manually release the EB. With that system and release, once you broke that film, the dealer had to do a major repair job to get it back together again (really poor design)...that cost a fortune! Hopefully Mazda was smarter!

Here is a quote from the 2013 Outback manual about the EB...UGLY it is!!! :(
Insert the electronic parking brake release tool into the parking brake release cap and remove it by turning counter-clockwise.
Note: following these instructions and breaking the white film could require replacing the brake release device to minimize possible moisture and dirt contamination.
This will be expensive. Call roadside assistance for a battery jump instead- its easier and will cost less.
Note: it is recommended that you do NOT do this. You should call roadside assistance and get the battery jumped, or get the car towed instead.

I presume since it is not in your manuals, that the procedure is way simpler, or heaven forbid...they simply overlooked it when writing the 2016 user manuals!

AGAIN THAT WAS A SOMEWHAT MAJOR DECISION I MADE WHEN I CHOSE THE 2015 CX-5 OVER THE 2016 MODEL! I wanted to stay with the manual handbrake as long as possible!

Last edited:
Back