2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

There is a TSB for cold weather and EPB

http://oemdtc.com/18619/electric-pa...l-not-release-in-cild-weather-2016-mazda-cx-5

Confusing graphic here because I thought Mazda used the cable method and link above shows the version with the stepper motor on the caliper
Buzzer777's concern was right. But the TSB doesn't say any fixes other than stated:

"This concern may be caused by the EPB motor gear unit (A) dimensions being out of specification.
The machining dimensions of EPB motor gear unit have been improved to eliminate this concern.
"

I thought placing motor near brake to drive the brake pads directly are normal design? Using motor pulling a cable seems too old fashioned...

Dislikes:
-Electric parking brake (I have Automatic Trans)
-Heated side mirror is not standard.

-Excellent MPGs for a SUV/CUV . I get 25 mpg consistently with only city driving. Havent done enough highway only driving to comment on HWY mpgs.
-Large interior space, in cabin, trunk
-Exterior is not overly huge
-Great handling for a SUV/CUV
-Backup Camera feature already has Navigation hardware. I bought the Navigation Chip separately. 2016 Navteq Navigation software/map is not bad in my opinion .
-Navigation Screen is at a nice size (2016)
-Electric Power steering
-AWD option
-Exterior look/design of the car
-Interior look/design of the 2016 model
Pretty much everything else about the car is a like.

After a week with the car, my only real gripe is that it is impossible to get any decent heat to my feet.

I love the radar CC, and the rain sensing wipers are fantastic (my previous car, a CR-V had 3 wiper speeds, fixed time intermittent, low, and hi).

AGAIN THAT WAS A SOMEWHAT MAJOR DECISION I MADE WHEN I CHOSE THE 2015 CX-5 OVER THE 2016 MODEL! I wanted to stay with the manual handbrake as long as possible!

The same was said when power steering, power windows, electric fuel pumps, etc became mainstream. I remember hearing people tell me that power windows would be horrible and they loved their manual crank windows. The list goes on and on....

New technologies always will have some growing pains but it later becomes mainstay and we can't live without it. I love power windows and have no will to go back to manual crank windows. The same goes with other techs. Carburetors, manual steering, crank windows, etc., no thanks, I will pass on that old tech.

Modern day autos are SO MUCH MORE reliable than older vehicles. I drove cars from the 70's, 80's and 90's and no doubt that today's cars are 100x more reliable. I remember having to set points on my distributor, tune carbs every month, change spark plugs, etc., just to keep a NEW vehicle running.

AGAIN THAT WAS A SOMEWHAT MAJOR DECISION I MADE WHEN I CHOSE THE 2015 CX-5 OVER THE 2016 MODEL! I wanted to stay with the manual handbrake as long as possible!

I'm directly opposite - the EPB was one of the reasons I went with the 2016 model over 2015. I find it so convenient that i can turn on the car and just drive - I am not sure if this is the EU models only, but it automatically disengages when you put it in gear and start to drive (both the automatic and manual ones I've tested)

This is my first ever Auto and electric handbrake car.

The Auto is ok but does not give the same engine braking as you can get with a manual, although as yet I'm still learning with the auto, I think manual selection might suit me better.

The handbrake looks good works fine, frees up room so I now have an extra cup holder to store stuff in.
But I do think its a complication, which could give reliability problems in the future.

On a positive note the reversing camera resolution is a big improvement and uses a more sensible field of view, objects are larger.

But why fit a 7" screen only to have too much black border.
And my HTC which worked perfectly with the old car is now often failing to connect to Bluetooth, very very annoying, having had this issue with another phone with the last car.

Last edited:
I see the reflections people are complaining about. However, Im not getting the distraction everyone makes it out to be. :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can hold my ebrake and turn around in the t section at the end of my street to park on the right side. Enough said.

This is my first ever Auto and electric handbrake car.

But I do think its a complication, which could give reliability problems in the future.

Xtrailman - I hope I can put your mind at rest. I had a Renault Laguna with an electric handbrake for 3 years and it performed faultlessly, so if Renault can do it I'm sure Mazda can. In fact the whole car performed faultlessly, which is interesting for a Renault car(shocked)

Jonno21

My Renault engine in my last Xtrail was 100% fault free over the 4.5 years I had it, as was the rest of the car.

Unlike my last CX-5.

Another dislike with the new version is the street name on the top covering the phone data, can I get rid of the street names on there, I get them even when navigation isn't on.

My Renault engine in my last Xtrail was 100% fault free over the 4.5 years I had it, as was the rest of the car.

Unlike my last CX-5.

Another dislike with the new version is the street name on the top covering the phone data, can I get rid of the street names on there, I get them even when navigation isn't on.

What phone data do you need? If you get a text, it gives you a pop up and then can reply or ignore. The other two things are just signal and battery life which aren't important. Certainly not while driving.

Unlike my last CX-5.

We haven't seen much with Renault in NA since the late 80's when Renault divested it's major stake in American Motors which was purchased by Chrysler. I think there were some diesel motor applications into the early/mid 90's in some motorhomes but not much else IIRC. For the younger readers this is how Jeep was acquired by Chrysler. Of course AMC through the years was the remains of Nash, Hudson, Packard, Studebaker, Kaiser-Jeep which was Willeys-Overland... not sure on the last part.

Ok... I'm going too far off topic now. :)

My manual heat and a/c controls are annoying. I like to control when the a/c comes on. In the morning its cold I turn my heat on. Then if I have it on vent and get warm and turn my temperature control to cold, my a/c automatically come on. Its still cold outside I just don't want heat anymore. So when I do this I have to then turn the a/c back off after its on for a second. I wanted manual heat a/c. If I wanted climate control I would have got that.
At first I did not notice it was happening, just wondered how my a/c turned on. I also wish I could turn the a/c off when on full defrost mode. To have it off I have to be a couple clicks off the defrost mode. So between floor and defrost.
I hope Mazda hears this.

My manual heat and a/c controls are annoying. I like to control when the a/c comes on. In the morning its cold I turn my heat on. Then if I have it on vent and get warm and turn my temperature control to cold, my a/c automatically come on. Its still cold outside I just don't want heat anymore. So when I do this I have to then turn the a/c back off after its on for a second. I wanted manual heat a/c. If I wanted climate control I would have got that.
At first I did not notice it was happening, just wondered how my a/c turned on. I also wish I could turn the a/c off when on full defrost mode. To have it off I have to be a couple clicks off the defrost mode. So between floor and defrost.
I hope Mazda hears this.
Most cars will turn the AC on when you turn to defrost-only mode on the manual climate control. But I've never seen the AC will be on automatically when you're on the vent mode and adjusting the temperature knob. It seems the manual climate control on our CX-5 has a brain by itself?

It's annoying that the outside-air and recirculation buttons are having the bright yellow lights on all the time on our automatic climate control. Compounded it always gets reset to outside-air mode whenever it possible!

No, Mazda couldn't care less to hear us here. That's one thing for sure!

But I've never seen the AC will be on automatically when you're on the vent mode and adjusting the temperature knob. It seems the manual climate control on our CX-5 has a brain by itself?

When you turn the temp knob all the way to the left it goes to Max A/C mode, where it turns the A/C on if it was not on AND if the fan is on. Notice that the Max A/C setting has a white line next to it, not a blue line (at least on mine).
There are few things you can do, if you want unheated and uncooled air:
1. Don't turn it all the way to the left. In fact, at least on mine, there is no heating left of the middle point, so you can turn it one (or few) clicks left of the middle point. When you want heat, turn it to the right past the middle point, e.g. all the way right if you are cold or just one/few clicks past the middle to feel comfortable in a cool day.
2. While the fan is off, turn it all the way to the left, then one click back.

When you turn the temp knob all the way to the left it goes to Max A/C mode, where it turns the A/C on if it was not on AND if the fan is on. Notice that the Max A/C setting has a white line next to it, not a blue line (at least on mine).
There are few things you can do, if you want unheated and uncooled air:
1. Don't turn it all the way to the left. In fact, at least on mine, there is no heating left of the middle point, so you can turn it one (or few) clicks left of the middle point. When you want heat, turn it to the right past the middle point, e.g. all the way right if you are cold or just one/few clicks past the middle to feel comfortable in a cool day.
2. While the fan is off, turn it all the way to the left, then one click back.

I can confirm this is how mine works. I get ambient air as long as the temperature control knob is in the blue zone (and the air conditioner hasn't been activated). I get different amounts of heated air blended in depending upon how deep I turn the temperature knob into the red zone. When in a/c mode, the blue zone controls how cold the air is.

The air conditioner only comes on if the knob is turned all the way to the cool side (or you have a defrost setting or turn the a/c on manually).

What phone data do you need? If you get a text, it gives you a pop up and then can reply or ignore. The other two things are just signal and battery life which aren't important. Certainly not while driving.

So how do you make a call with out a signal, or a flat battery?
It's information that should be visible, at the very least it tells you your phone is connected, at present my compatible phone is connecting when it feels like it.

In the UK the phone data is used for real time traffic, its used as a wifi hotspot.

So how do you make a call with out a signal, or a flat battery?
It's information that should be visible, at the very least it tells you your phone is connected, at present my compatible phone is connecting when it feels like it.

In the UK the phone data is used for real time traffic, its used as a wifi hotspot.

Guess it's never come up for me. Always have signal and if I don't and the call fails, oh well. Just wait. And as for battery, my phone always has battery. You should know if its almost dead and in that case, just plug it in to charge.

Back