2016 Mazda CX-5 USB phone charging... Does it work?

urban_

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD + Tech Package Owner
I've heard of conflicting reviews, but does the USB charging work? I was thinking about getting https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) for the new CX-5 so I can charge on day one. I'm running a Samsung S4 and my girlfriend has a LG G3.

If it works, how fast does it take to do a full charge? Or does it just keep it at the current battery if phone GPS + music is playing? And if it doesn't, why doesn't it work? :(

Thanks for the help!

Most USB ports in cars are made to connect the device to the infotainment system, not to charge the device.

This is because car USB jacks typically operates at .5 amp, whereas your phones charger operates between 1.0-2.0 amps.

I have never had a problem with getting a charge from my '14 CX-5 Sport, or '16 Touring Tech on any iPhone/iPod that I have used via USB. It's not a quick recharge, but if you are driving 30 min - 1hr, you will get a 10% or better charge. It will bring a dead battery back to life, but would need substantial time to fully recharge. If I need a good top off, I will either go Airplane mode, or use a dedicated charging plug.

The USB in the 2016 does charge an iPhone. It however is not powerful enough to charge an iPad.

The USB in the 2016 does charge an iPhone. It however is not powerful enough to charge an iPad.

Gotcha. Is it a slow or fast charge? Let's say you're driving for 1 hr... would you get a 10, 20, 30, or more % increase in battery? Looks like I need to get the adapter I linked to above.

Gotcha. Is it a slow or fast charge? Let's say you're driving for 1 hr... would you get a 10, 20, 30, or more % increase in battery? Looks like I need to get the adapter I linked to above.

I got 50% in the 1 1/2 hour drive-time with Bluetooth and Wifi on, music playing via cloud and normal cell reception.

No issues with my iphone6. I stream radio.com and music and never looses charge.

Mine slowly charges my iphone6. It is slow and if I'm runner my a couple things it can crawl to a halt.

Just get a usb adaptor for the cig port in the console

Back