2016 CX-5 Drive belt pricing

Dealer wants $565 to replace drive belts and tensioner on 2016 CX-5 with 47k miles - they say belts are cracking and tensioner is leaking. I believe there’s a TSB for the tensioner - should I push back and ask them to cover some of the cost or try to get a better price at an independent shop? The car has only been serviced by this one mazda dealer. Thank you

IMHO, just because a "dealership" says you need something doesn't mean that you actually do. Sorry to say but I have grown very distrustful of service providers. Seems to be harder and harder to find honest service providers these days.

Did they show you on your car what they are talking about? Can you post some pictures? Are you experiencing any problems?

As far as the tensioner "leaking", if it were my car I would clean it up real nice and keep an eye on it ... See how much oil shows back up and how quick.

As far as the cost, $565 seems a little steep to me. Maybe $150 for parts so $400+ for labor? That seems like a lot of time for a simple job to me. If you do get it done, have a new water pump belt installed while you're in there. (and if your mechanic isn't suggesting that, it would be a "sign" to me not to trust them).

Belts cracking ... Maybe bad maybe not. Pieces of grooves missing would be bad. Cracks and cuts along the belt would be bad. I'm not worried about some cracking across the ribbing on the inside of the belt.

Without seeing it, just based on the age and mileage you listed, I'm skeptical that the belt "needs" replaced.

I'm not a mechanic, don't even play one on teevee, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;). Just the humble opinion of a competent DIY'er maintaining the family fleet for 35 years.

I appreciate the feedback. Haven’t noticed any unusual noises/problems. Attaching the photos from the service video.

Attachments

• AA7A3CE8-D8A2-45EB-BE83-079BBF76DDE6.png
    AA7A3CE8-D8A2-45EB-BE83-079BBF76DDE6.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 3D065889-F2D3-44D3-8A68-FAEA2DBCAC26.png
    3D065889-F2D3-44D3-8A68-FAEA2DBCAC26.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 215
Hard to tell from the photos ... Kind of grain-ee. Second photo seems to be the tech showing you his dirty glove fingers presumably as evidence?

I would buy a can of foamy engine cleaner at walmart, soak that tensioner down, scrub it all around with a toothbrush, rinse well and see what happens. I'd betchya it's not an issue.

I would also go so far as to say THAT ^^ is what your tech at the "dealership" should've done as well. Took his video/photo, made you aware of the oily dirt, suggested he clean it up and monitor it on the next oil change.

I guess I'm just an old fashioned kinda guy. The things you are experiencing are the tell-tale signs (to me) that shows in who's interest they are working for ... Their own pocketbook or giving the best advise for the customer's vehicle.

I look at the pictures and see, "yes, that's a belt". I guess its helpful if you weren't sure which belt he was talking about. But can't actually see the surface of the belt.

If your tensioner is bad, you may want to replace the belt also. A belt does not cost much. Now, the question really is, "Do you need to have the tensioner replaced?".
Maybe a close-up shot of the tensioner would help.

My service advisor told me that my tensioner (of a '16 Mazda6) was leaky.
I ignored him, wiped it clean, and kept an eye on it.

About one year later... it finally started to make squeaky noises when I revved the engine.

In SF Bay Area, the total cost (incl. belt replacement) came down to about $500.
(tensioner+belt+labor) at a dealership.

Dealer wants $565 to replace drive belts and tensioner on 2016 CX-5 with 47k miles - they say belts are cracking and tensioner is leaking. I believe there’s a TSB for the tensioner - should I push back and ask them to cover some of the cost or try to get a better price at an independent shop? The car has only been serviced by this one mazda dealer. Thank you
Go to RockAuto and get the belts and tensioner. Buy the INA tensioner, which is the company that supposedly makes them for Mazda. Then find an independent garage to install all of it. Or look at Youtube videos to see how it's done. It's not difficult.

Go to RockAuto and get the belts and tensioner. Buy the INA tensioner, which is the company that supposedly makes them for Mazda. Then find an independent garage to install all of it. Or look at Youtube videos to see how it's done. It's not difficult.
+1. An independent shop should take no more than hour to knock this out.

The most difficult part of the job is replacing the water pump belt imo. I was able to use a zip tie on the pulley to get the new belt on. I’ve read the tensioner can be a little bit of a hassle to remove and replace due to tight clearance in the bay, but it’s not a deal breaker by any means. The engine bay has a little more room to work with on my ‘13 due to the smaller 2.0L.

What did you end up doing? I'm having this issue on my 2018 cx-5. Dealer saids the Timing cover is leaking and covered under warrenty but the Belt tensioner plus 2 belts should be replaced for $555. I saw there was this TSB. SHould I push to have them replace it?

What did you end up doing? I'm having this issue on my 2018 cx-5. Dealer saids the Timing cover is leaking and covered under warrenty but the Belt tensioner plus 2 belts should be replaced for $555. I saw there was this TSB. SHould I push to have them replace it?
The serpentine belt tensioner on CX-5 is very prone to leak, and the TSB says it all. Mine started leaking at 42K miles and many did around that mileage.

Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

A TSB has nothing to do with free repair if you have no warranty. The tensioner isn’t covered under Mazda’s 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty but the timing chain cover leak (there’s a TSB for that too) does. You either want to replace the tensioner by yourself, or have an indie or dealer to replace it for you.

My understanding is that the TSB is to make the dealers aware of common issues so they know how to diagnose and fix it efficiently. It doesn't necessarily extend warranty coverage beyond the original terms of the warranty.

edit: I was posting at the same time as yrwei52. I didn't expect this to be part of the powertrain warranty, but seems like it should be. The purpose of the fan is to maintain engine temperature. It's attached and he powertrain doesn't work without it.

Last edited:
IF your tensioner is leaking get it replaced. A bad tensioner could result in a loose belt resulting in battery charging isssues, a/c issues, etc....

If you are under factory warranty 3/36 or extended warranty then it is covered. Power train only, then no regardless of the TSB. Now, the dealer could certainly ask for goodwill on the tensioner for you or pay part of the costs simply because it is a know issue hence the TSB. I would ask if they can and maybe you get lucky. Now, if they do not then make sure that they are not charging you double labor because the tensioner is an overlapping job with the timing cover. They should just be charging for the part.

Now, if they do not then make sure that they are not charging you double labor because the tensioner is an overlapping job with the timing cover. They should just be charging for the part.
Excellent point!

It could be a better choice if the dealer is willing to charge the parts only for the job.

The serpentine belt tensioner on CX-5 is very prone to leak, and the TSB says it all. Mine started leaking at 42K miles and many did around that mileage.

Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

A TSB has nothing to do with free repair if you have no warranty. The tensioner isn’t covered under Mazda’s 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty but the timing chain cover leak (there’s a TSB for that too) does. You either want to replace the tensioner by yourself, or have an indie or dealer to replace it for you.

My understanding is that the TSB is to make the dealers aware of common issues so they know how to diagnose and fix it efficiently. It doesn't necessarily extend warranty coverage beyond the original terms of the warranty.

edit: I was posting at the same time as yrwei52. I didn't expect this to be part of the powertrain warranty, but seems like it should be. The purpose of the fan is to maintain engine temperature. It's attached and he powertrain doesn't work without it.

If you are under factory warranty 3/36 or extended warranty then it is covered. Power train only, then no regardless of the TSB. Now, the dealer could certainly ask for goodwill on the tensioner for you or pay part of the costs simply because it is a know issue hence the TSB. I would ask if they can and maybe you get lucky. Now, if they do not then make sure that they are not charging you double labor because the tensioner is an overlapping job with the timing cover. They should just be charging for the part.
Thanks for the input guys. I spoke to my dealership and they said the would contact Mazda corporate and get back with me tomorrow.

I am under the new car warranty but barely over the mileage at 40k. I guess the Timing cover was covered but not the tensioner.

So this was the quote they gave me today $212 for the tensioner plus 2 belts- PY0 1 151908 and PY01 909A for a total for $535.

So you think if they call me tomorrow and say they won't cover the tensioner, I should just ask for the cost of $212 (part) ? Do I even need the 2 belts changed or just add those in as well?

If they weren't already in there doing stuff, I'd just do it myself.

Is it this $65 part?

They have 2 versions from Ina. The other one is out of stock, hopefully because its the old faulty design. This one has the higher part number.

I'd replace the belts while I'm in there, with quality after market parts. I don't think Mazda has any special accessory belt technology.

Thanks for the input guys. I spoke to my dealership and they said the would contact Mazda corporate and get back with me tomorrow.

I am under the new car warranty but barely over the mileage at 40k. I guess the Timing cover was covered but not the tensioner.

So this was the quote they gave me today $212 for the tensioner plus 2 belts- PY0 1 151908 and PY01 909A for a total for $535.

So you think if they call me tomorrow and say they won't cover the tensioner, I should just ask for the cost of $212 (part) ? Do I even need the 2 belts changed or just add those in as well?
Ok so with the quick research I have done on the parts cost( tensioner and both belts), the tensioner has been superseeded by new part # PE03-15-980C and can be had for $126 from a reputable mazda parts dealer online. List price is $186. The waterpump belt PY01-15-908 is $18 from the same dealer, list price $22 and the serpentine belt PY01-15-909A is $39. Add a little shipping and you are still nowhere near $535. Sounds like they are charging you over list markup on the parts AND labor. Not cool. See what they say after they contact Mazda. Definitely replace both belts but if they say no help from Mazda then go to the parts dept and ask them if they will pricematch an online Mazda dealer parts price and buy the parts and hand them to service!

Last edited:
Actually this has nothing to do with Mazda North American Operations. MNAO won’t cover your leaky tensioner, period, since you’re out of new-car warranty at 40,000 miles in addition to your 2018 CX-5 is way over 3 years old.

No, your 2018 CX-5 has run out of new-car warranty long ago which is 3 years or 36,000 miles. The leaky timing chain cover is covered by 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty. Serpentine belt tensioner isn’t covered by powertrain warranty.

Here from an online Mazda parts seller:

Tensioner - Mazda (PE03-15-980C)
Replaces: PE01-15-980A, PE01-15-980B, PE03-15-980A, PE03-15-980B, PET2-15-980
MSRP $186.61 / Sale Price $134.34

Serpentine Belt - Mazda (PY01-15-909A)
Replaces: PY01-15-909
MSRP $46.37 / Sale Price $33.52

Water Pump Belt - Mazda (PY01-15-908)
MSRP $22.25 / Sale Price $17.89

All dealers would charge customers at MSRP, if not adding 10% ~ 30% more over MSRP, on all the genuine parts they used for service. The tensioner + serpentine belt + water pump belt should cost you at least $186.61 + $46.37 + $22.25 = $255.23 by a Mazda dealer. If your Mazda dealer quoted you $212 for all 3 parts that’s a pretty good price for the OEM parts. You can talk to the service manager saying you’d like to pay the parts on belts and tensioner but please waive the labor since the timing chain cover job would have to remove these 3, and they can just put the new parts you purchased from them back instead of using the old ones. Keep us posted.

Just see how many revisions on the prone-to-leak belt tensioner!

And BTW, the fix to the leaky timing chain cover can be tricky. Don’t be surprised if you still see some seepages after the repair.

Actually this has nothing to do with Mazda North American Operations. MNAO won’t cover your leaky tensioner, period, since you’re out of new-car warranty at 40,000 miles in addition to your 2018 CX-5 is way over 3 years old.

No, your 2018 CX-5 has run out of new-car warranty long ago which is 3 years or 36,000 miles. The leaky timing chain cover is covered by 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty. Serpentine belt tensioner isn’t covered by powertrain warranty.

Here from an online Mazda parts seller:

Tensioner - Mazda (PE03-15-980C)
Replaces: PE01-15-980A, PE01-15-980B, PE03-15-980A, PE03-15-980B, PET2-15-980
MSRP $186.61 / Sale Price $134.34

Serpentine Belt - Mazda (PY01-15-909A)
Replaces: PY01-15-909
MSRP $46.37 / Sale Price $33.52

Water Pump Belt - Mazda (PY01-15-908)
MSRP $22.25 / Sale Price $17.89

All dealers would charge customers at MSRP, if not adding 10% ~ 30% more over MSRP, on all the genuine parts they used for service. The tensioner + serpentine belt + water pump belt should cost you at least $186.61 + $46.37 + $22.25 = $255.23 by a Mazda dealer. If your Mazda dealer quoted you $212 for all 3 parts that’s a pretty good price for the OEM parts. You can talk to the service manager saying you’d like to pay the parts on belts and tensioner but please waive the labor since the timing chain cover job would have to remove these 3, and they can just put the new parts you purchased from them back instead of using the old ones. Keep us posted.

Just see how many revisions on the prone-to-leak belt tensioner!

And BTW, the fix to the leaky timing chain cover can be tricky. Don’t be surprised if you still see some seepages after the repair.
Thanks for the info. Where is this online Mazda parts dealer in case I want to buy them directly?

Ok so with the quick research I have done on the parts cost( tensioner and both belts), the tensioner has been superseeded by new part # PE03-15-980C and can be had for $126 from a reputable mazda parts dealer online. List price is $186. The waterpump belt PY01-15-908 is $18 from the same dealer, list price $22 and the serpentine belt PY01-15-909A is $39. Add a little shipping and you are still nowhere near $535. Sounds like they are charging you over list markup on the parts AND labor. Not cool. See what they say after they contact Mazda. Definitely replace both belts but if they say no help from Mazda then go to the parts dept and ask them if they will pricematch an online Mazda dealer parts price and buy the parts and hand them to service!
Good deal. I will do this.

Back