2016 CX-5 2.5L driving experience compared to Mazda 6?

Drm31078

:
2016 CX-5 GT
How do the rides of the CX-5 and mazda 6 compare? I am more curious on the power / acceleration comparison. It seems the vehicles have very similar weights.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I test drove a cx-5 which was a pretty quick drive. I also had a mazda 6 loaner for a few days. I am obviously more familiar with the 6 and it's hard to compare with just a quick drive in the cx-5. I like the power in the 6 a lot. Handling is nice too but for me the acceleration is more important. Sounds like I won't notice a difference in the power.

I am planning on purchasing the cx-5 and they are looking for me right now. The 6 was a dealer loaner I had for a few days that I was driving a few weeks ago.

Same engine, I'd expect the 6 to perform better, as others have stated, less weight and lower profile.

I am planning on purchasing the cx-5 and they are looking for me right now. The 6 was a dealer loaner I had for a few days that I was driving a few weeks ago.

I expect you will be more than satisfied with the CX-5 power and acceleration. However, if you are pondering whether you might prefer the maneuverability and handling characteristics of a sports sedan, such as the Mazda 6,, that is another story. While the CX-5 may be nimble , it's an SUV.
My (unsolicited) opinion is that if you will appreciate the big view, chair-like seating orientation, comfort for passengers, and ease of loading/unloading cargo, then buy a CX-5. If you want the thrill of taking corners hard and, or, weaving through traffic, then buy a Mazda 6 or Mazda 3.

I own a 2016 AWD CX-5 GT with Tech which I just got 2 weeks ago. My wife drives a 2015 Mazda 6 GT with the Tech package.

Both cars drive great. I prefer the 6 though. Handles better and to me feels quicker. Not sure about weights but guessing the 6 is lighter.

I Love putting the 6 into manual and using the paddle shifters. It is an absolute blast to drive. I almost got the 2016 6 but we really need at least one vehicle with a bit more utility, so went with the CX-5.

I agree with DG_1234... "If you want the thrill of taking corners hard and, or, weaving through traffic, then buy a Mazda 6 or Mazda 3."

The 6 is the way to go for pure driving fun - the 3 in the GT package better still or... the new Miata if space is no issue and you can wait until August.

DG your cd-5 description is exactly what I am looking for. Something with utility but fun to drive. I am not looking for a sports car. I just wanted to confirm with others that the acceleration doesn't drop off a lot from the 6 to the cx-5. I still want some pep when I want to pass someone or take corners from time to time. But I need the cargo and higher seating area with my kids.

It didn't seem like a big difference to me but I didn't have an extended driving experience in the cx-5. Basically I am second guessing myself and need confirmation from others. Haha.

DG your cd-5 description is exactly what I am looking for. Something with utility but fun to drive. I am not looking for a sports car. I just wanted to confirm with others that the acceleration doesn't drop off a lot from the 6 to the cx-5. I still want some pep when I want to pass someone or take corners from time to time. But I need the cargo and higher seating area with my kids.

It didn't seem like a big difference to me but I didn't have an extended driving experience in the cx-5. Basically I am second guessing myself and need confirmation from others. Haha.

Since have children then there is no question, it is a 100% definite, buy the CX-5. But don't worry, the CX-5 is fun to drive. You will love it.

While acceleration may not be the quickest, CX-5 has the best handling characteristic among all CUV's. CUV can never be compared to a sedan due to its high center of gravity and heavier weight. So you have to decide if you want a sedan or CUV first. Then the choice is easy!

Which CX-5?

How do the rides of the CX-5 and mazda 6 compare? I am more curious on the power / acceleration comparison. It seems the vehicles have very similar weights.

Thanks!

I will presume that you will go for at least a Sport w/ a 2.5? If so, you will be getting the 6 speed automatic.

I have found that the 6 speed is very well suited to the 2.5 engine, and enhances the overall experience in the CX-5.
Having been "dulled" during the past decade with lackluster performance in the segment, I have re-discovered the joy of driving in this CSUV!!

Did not think it was possible, after coming out of a 2013 Outback, w/ CVT, but this CSUV is a pleasure for those needing the room, utility, and for me, the AWD rolled up in a nice pkg. No noticeable engine lag (wow, even with drive by wire + 4cyl, + automatic, it doesn't feel like dull!)

Mazda has indeed, re-invented the segment IMHO!
Good luck with your purchase.

Yes I will be getting the 2.5L. Glad to hear the consistent message about how fun it is. We do have a minivan so this will be our second car. However I have two boys that I am sure will require the extra space when we need to use two separate vehicles. They are 3 and 5 right now trending toward the 6'2"-6'4" mark on the growth chart. Ha.

... Did not think it was possible, after coming out of a 2013 Outback, w/ CVT, but this CSUV is a pleasure for those needing the room, utility, and for me, the AWD rolled up in a nice pkg. No noticeable engine lag (wow, even with drive by wire + 4cyl, + automatic, it doesn't feel like dull!)
Mazda has indeed, re-invented the segment IMHO!
CVT, the same on turbo, will make you feel noticeable engine lag. Mazda's SkyActiv Technology automatic transmission uses torque convertor only up to 5 mph, this will make you feel like a manual transmission most of time.

I have driven both of these vehicles as rentals and the 6 certainly does handle better. I was debating between both of these vehicles also, but am pretty sure I will be getting the CX-5. I don't really need the extra space in the CX-5, but it certainly be beneficial at times. I think the main thing for me is the extra roominess of the cabin, better driving visibility and ease of getting in and out of the car. I am 6'3" tall and getting a bit older and it is just easier getting in and out of the CX-5 compared to the 6.

They share similar underpinnings. Share mechanical componentry. Even similar design ques. It will literally come down simply to space, as all other aspects are so comparitively similar.

Thanks!

Other than the obvious differences in cabin/trunk configuration, the biggest difference will be that the sedan is much more aerodynamic and this will be most apparent at higher speeds, 70 mph and up. If your driving profile includes a lot of miles at higher freeway speeds you will get considerably better mileage with the sedan and it will feel like it has more passing power at higher speeds.

Thanks guys...went to pick up my CX-5 GT today...apparently they had to drive it 238 miles to get it to the dealership and there were a few tiny chips on the bumper and hood. Told them that this is not a new car and would not buy it. After a long winded negotiation, it turns out they got a new shipment in today and had the one I wanted but with the tech package that I didn't really need. They offered it to me for $500 more than the "used" one with no tech package. So I took it. They needed to detail it and it will be ready for pickup tomorrow...Meteor Gray.

Back