2015 Skyactiv M6 Oil Change

Aveen15

:
Mazda 6 2015
Any recommendations on 0w-20 oil used with the Skyactiv engines. The manual recommends Castrol or the Mazda brand with molly. I thought I would use the Castrol since it is easier to source and cheaper then going through the dealership. Any known benefits of the Mazda molly?

Not an M6 owner myself, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that for street use / DD duty, there would be any major or noticeable difference between any of the major brands as long as you stick to an appropriate OCI with the appropriate viscosity.

I have been using Royal Purple 0W-20 in the last 2 oil changes. Seems to hold up very well. I change mine usually right around 10k and has held up extremely well.

The Mazda brand 0W-20 has the best VI (Viscosity Index) of 221, as a result it's thinner in the cold and thicker in the heat than any comparable off-the-shelf 0W-20 including Pennzoil and Valvoline products. With that said, any good SN grade 0W-20 will work, but I try to stick to the OEM oil and filter because it's IMO the best for the car.

Moly additive is nothing new. It's old technology. It's been around forever in oil and grease to combat higher pressure. I am sold on Mobil 1, especially their extended wear oil. Been using Mobil 1 for over 25 years and never had any issue with the oil. There are more expensive small makers of synthetic oil but not better than Mobil 1.

Back