2015 Mazda CX-5?

I'll pay a little more to get what I want. If they said it was a few grand extra to custom order exactly what I wanted...I would pay it. I suppose I could just wait a little while until people start crashing them and pillage the parts I desire. Oh but wait, I can't even get the color I want once I check off "stick shift".

If you are going to order anything that is not built from the existing production line (that is what costom is), you are not going to pay a few extra grand, you are going to pay at least a dozen extra grand... The car yould practically need to be hand built! I just does not make sense for a company to go trough the trouble of offering this for just a handfull of enthusiasts.

I still agree with you 100%: MT would be awsome, but I just don't see it happening with this car in North America. Not in 2015 or ever. I've been known to be wrong though! ;)

I still agree with you 100%: MT would be awsome, but I just don't see it happening with this car in North America. Not in 2015 or ever. I've been known to be wrong though! ;)

My existing vehicle is getting a bit long in the tooth and I need to replace it sometime in the near future. I was hoping for some announcement or news that Mazda would offer the 2.5 for the MT-6 CX-5 and perhaps a few more options. Perhaps a special edition for driving enthusiast.

Realizing that I am likely dreaming, I am now considering something I never thought I would - a Subaru Forester. I can get the 2.5i Premium with manual in any color offered and still get some "stuff" rather than a stripper CX-5 Sport. Too bad Mazda missed the boat, they offer both the 3 and 6 with the 2.5 MT-6, so it can't be hard. If the CX-5 is supposed to be "fun and sporty", then they should have made it available with the manual.

To those that say there isn't a market, why does Subaru offer manuals across the board?

^^Came pretty close to getting the Forester 6MT premium as it is a great value and we loved our old XT 5MT. But its very soft, and while I loved the fact they offered the manual it doesn't bring much to the experience other than added control the CVT sorely lacks. I agree with you that the base Mazda feels very base while the Subaru more substantial. I really wanted a lighter, nimbler crosstrek with the Forester's powertrain and 6MT.

I spent more than I originally set out by going full boat CX-5 GT tech and it has some minor faults that it shouldn't but on windy roads I drive often it really is the best cuv tool for my job in the price range by a wider margin than I originally thought- you really can push this thing and its happy to oblige and the 2.5 pulls strongly at very low revs. A very impressive, flexible machine so much so that I'd like to replace wife's pilot with another one maybe when they freshen it up its that good. If you mainly just want comfort and quality- no doubt the premium 6mt Forester trim is very hard to beat for the $.

Last edited:
To those that say there isn't a market, why does Subaru offer manuals across the board?

It would be interesting to see their sales numbers to see how many manual vs automatics they sell. One thing that I notice is that Subaru doesn’t offer you the option of adding packages with the Premium model and manual transmission, they only offer packages with the CVT equipped Premium models.

The truth is that if you live in a country where maybe 10%-15% of the cars you sell are equipped with a manual transmissions you are going to have a hard time convincing the bean counters of each company to keep offering that option.

It would be interesting to see their sales numbers to see how many manual vs automatics they sell. One thing that I notice is that Subaru doesn’t offer you the option of adding packages with the Premium model and manual transmission, they only offer packages with the CVT equipped Premium models.

The truth is that if you live in a country where maybe 10%-15% of the cars you sell are equipped with a manual transmissions you are going to have a hard time convincing the bean counters of each company to keep offering that option.
In the U.S., according to Edmunds.com, only about 7% of new cars are sold with manuals (very low, but it is up from about 3% - 4% in the previous five or six years). I imagine the heavy hitters are the Mustang, the Camaro, and the Corvette. I think the manual take rate among CUV's/SUV's is extremely low - probably 1%. As far as recent models go, I have only seen one manual CX-5 and one manual Forester.

Because they're Subaru, not Mazda, and apparently they have reason to believe their customer base has somewhat different tastes/needs. And I believe they're correct in that assumption.

Because they're Subaru, not Mazda, and apparently they have reason to believe their customer base has somewhat different tastes/needs. And I believe they're correct in that assumption.

Okay, I suppose I may be barking up the wrong tree in considering Mazda. Please consider my original thought process: Since Mazda offers a manual on multiple trim levels of the 3 and 6, more so than other manufacturer's current offerings, and also offers a CUV with a manual, I assumed that their traditional "Zoom-Zoom" culture of catering to driving enthusiasts may include a manual offering on the mid-level CX-5 at some point. I realize that many folks on this forum and elsewhere know Mazda culture and their market position much better than I do. Other than owning an old B2000 from the 1980's, I cannot claim to be a Mazda loyalist. My primary consideration for this vehicle was the fact that they offered a manual. Unfortunately, they offer it only on the base and my motivations for driving a manual are not financial.

I think there's some confusion here. I'm not aware the manual is offered with the 2.5 anywhere in the U.S. It looks like all 2.5s are currently only available with the automatic. Mazda has said they will introduce a 3S (2.5 engine) with the 6MT, but they haven't said when. I assume if the 6MT becomes offered with the 2.5 in either the CX-5 or Mazda 6, it will be after the Mazda 3 gets the 6MT.

I think there's some confusion here. I'm not aware the manual is offered with the 2.5 anywhere in the U.S. It looks like all 2.5s are currently only available with the automatic. Mazda has said they will introduce a 3S (2.5 engine) with the 6MT, but they haven't said when. I assume if the 6MT becomes offered with the 2.5 in either the CX-5 or Mazda 6, it will be after the Mazda 3 gets the 6MT.

The 2014 Mazda 6 is offered with the 2.5 MT-6: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=M6G

The Mazda 3 may not be offered with the 2.5 manual, but you can at least get a mid-level model in a range of colors and options.

You're right. I didn't check the Mazda 6 page (even tho my wife has 2014 GT). I remembered the comments about the 6MT being delayed on the new 3. I somehow thought there was a problem with the 6MT and the 2.5. Guess not. Might be more of a marketing thing than an engineering thing.

Mazda expects to offer gasoline and diesel versions of the revamped Mazda6 when it goes on sale in the United States, Kudo said. The model currently doesn't come in a diesel variant. The company has already announced plans to have gasoline and diesel options on the Mazda CX-5.

By 2015, all Mazda vehicles will get Skyactiv technologies and will reflect the more aggressive and sporty design philosophy that Mazda calls kodo, Japanese for soul of motion.

My definition of Kodo -

A SkyActiv-D Mazda CX-5 with AWD, Leather, Heated Seats, and.... 6 speed manual transmission.

Mazda's definition of Kodo, as stated by Ikuo Maeda, the head of Mazda's Design Division:

"KODO - Soul of Motion', and our aim is to express movement with forceful vitality and speed as the design theme for Mazda's upcoming models."

Any news on model year 2015's yet?

I talked to my sales guy yesterday. He said that they will introduce new head unit similar to the new Mazda 3.

...then it's good that I have purchased a 2014.
What you do, if you want to change the stereo to an aftermarket nav unit?
It seems, that these days, manufacturers build there cars in a way, that they don't let us mess with the cars anymore.
I have looked into the new Pathfinder(I was considering it) base model, the radio itself it's in the front of the stereo and the "display"(not touch) is mounted where would you expect the stereo that it should be.
The problem is, that behind the screen there is no room for an aftermarket stereo. There is maybe an inch room.
There are car settings controlled by the factory stereo, so is getting harder and harder to install aftermarket stereos.

The problem is, that behind the screen there is no room for an aftermarket stereo. There is maybe an inch room.
There are car settings controlled by the factory stereo, so is getting harder and harder to install aftermarket stereos.
This is the sad truth. There was a very short period in the 90s where the auto manufacturers and aftermarket audio manufacturers were in sync. DIN and Double-DIN radios were standardized and easily swappable. However the last decade has been about creating custom dashes with integrated components and all standardization has gone out the window. Instead of buying a head unit, your next aftermarket purchase is likely going to be a processor that will take all the inputs from the factory radio and convert them to a signal that can be used by aftermarket amps and speakers. Similar to piggy-back engine management systems, you won't be changing anything on the dash, you'll just be tuning things behind the scenes.

The problem with standardisation was theft, it was just too easy to break into a car remove a radio with a ready market waiting.

The early Vauxhall stereos could be removed in 30 seconds, I had a side window smashed for mine in the 80's.

Can anyone confirm when production of 2015's will begin? We are considering ordering a 2014 GT because we cannot seem to get the combination of options and color that we want, but I don't want to order a 2014 only to have the 2015's begin production in a few weeks.

Back