2015 Mazda CX-5 Transmission Problem

kralac

:
2015 Mazda CX-5
I just purchased my CX-5 earlier this month. After a bit over a week of having it I had quiet a scare.

I was driving to work doing about 55mph. I started to slow down for a major traffic light that has cross traffic doing 60plus mph.
The closer I got to the intersection the more I noticed something wasn't quiet right. By 20mph or so I felt as though the CX-5 was
still pulling me forward and the slower I got the more apparent that the motor was still pulling me forward. The engine wasn't revving
and the rpms seemed around 1k. I started applying more brake to wear I was basically pressing the brakes down as hard as I could.
The CX-5 finally stopped about 1ft from cross traffic and when it did the engine died.

I had to put it back into park and restart the engine but the car drove fine. I called the dealership and they had it towed in but could not
find any problems. I hate having a brand new car that I cannot trust. Does anyone have any ideas what happened?

Thanks,

Seriously? Another one post wonder?

They do seem to appear in batches.

Trying to get your quota before the end of the month?

Might be a one post wonder but I signed up 2 years ago when I bought my Mazdaspeed 3. I'm not sure what I can say to make you believe me. I bought my car on 1/6/2015. I had 403 miles on it when the problem happened. The mazda dealership towed my car back to the dealership. They found nothing wrong I got my car back on MLK day. I tried calling the mazda hotline that day but they were closed for the holiday. I talked to the mazda hotline on the day after MLK day. They asked me to take my CX-5 to the other local mazda dealer. So I took it to them on 1/21/15. I still am driving a loaner vehicle as they are still trying to figure out what could be going on.

Please ask me any questions. I am being 100 percent truthful. I am honestly trying to find out if anyone else has had any thing like this happen or has any ideas.

Just as a gesture of good faith I added a picture of me standing in front of my new CX-5 along with a couple pictures of the MazdaSpeed 3 I traded in to my profile.

I just purchased my CX-5 earlier this month. After a bit over a week of having it I had quiet a scare.

I was driving to work doing about 55mph. I started to slow down for a major traffic light that has cross traffic doing 60plus mph.
The closer I got to the intersection the more I noticed something wasn't quiet right. By 20mph or so I felt as though the CX-5 was
still pulling me forward and the slower I got the more apparent that the motor was still pulling me forward. The engine wasn't revving
and the rpms seemed around 1k. I started applying more brake to wear I was basically pressing the brakes down as hard as I could.
The CX-5 finally stopped about 1ft from cross traffic and when it did the engine died.

I had to put it back into park and restart the engine but the car drove fine. I called the dealership and they had it towed in but could not
find any problems. I hate having a brand new car that I cannot trust. Does anyone have any ideas what happened?

Thanks,

Here's the problem I have with your version of events. You say the engine was only at 1000 rpm's and yet you were pressing on the brakes as hard as you could and yet the car was only slowing at a leisurely rate. It is physically impossible for a CX-5 engine at 1000 rpm's to make enough power to overcome the four disc brakes. Seriously, those brakes can lock up all four wheels at any speed. An engine at idle is not going to tax the braking system at 20 mph.

Ok man here is a better example of what it felt like. It felt exactly like I was driving a manual transmission vehicle and left it in gear without pushing the clutch in. The car was still crawling forward when I finally stood on the brake hard the engine died.

I have tried over and over again to get the loaner CX-5 to do something similar and I cannot make it happen.

I am not afraid of all CX-5's if they would just swap me for a new one I would be thrilled. Its the fact that that one almost killed me that makes me really uncomfortable driving it. Like I can't even enjoy driving my brand new car.

As far as the 1k rpm I remember seeing it just before looking up with cross traffic close and then it died. It wasn't but a few moments it all seemed to happen pretty quick.

Will have to try this is 'manual' mode. Does the Sky-Activ not down shift in 'manual'? That would be kind of cool if so...

Not much of a fan of auto's but real trans seem to be going the way of the buggy whip...

I haven't tried it in manual mode on the loaner. I'll try that tomorrow to see if I can recreate it that way. This is actually the first automatic transmission vehicle I have owned but I drive them at work all the time.

Surely any problem like this is recorded and Mazda can check the logs when they plug in the computer to the car, or is Mazda so far behind in the VW group?

Why would you want to recreate it, sounds like you nearly killed yourself!

Almost sounds like the transmission was in manual mode and your foot was on the brake & accelerator simultaneously.

Your first automatic? Could it be that you are used to using two feet when driving? Pressing the clutch with your left foot and the brake with your right would transpose to being on the brake and the gas when driving an automatic.

Last edited:
Surely any problem like this is recorded and Mazda can check the logs when they plug in the computer to the car, or is Mazda so far behind in the VW group?

Why would you want to recreate it, sounds like you nearly killed yourself!

The first dealership said that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. No codes were thrown or anything else. They did say that they reset the computer.

The second dealership hasn't been able to recreate the issue either and of course can't find any codes either.

I would rather not have it happen again but I am trying on the 2013 CX-5 loaner they gave me so that if I can get it to recreate I know it was my fault or the vehicles. Mazda told me yesterday that unless Mazda Technical came up with anything that they likely wouldn't do anything until the problem happened again which is also why I am trying to recreate the problem. Mind you I only try at intersections that I can see for a hella long ways lol and nothing is coming.

Your first automatic? Could it be that you are used to using two feet when driving? Pressing the clutch with your left foot and the brake with your right would transpose to being on the brake and the gas when driving an automatic.

I know that's a big no no and I never drive like that. I drive automatics at work everyday and have for years.

Almost sounds like the transmission was in manual mode and your foot was on the brake & accelerator simultaneously.

I would agree as well and while I haven't tried it with manual mode I have tried hitting the break and the accelerator simultaneously and it just feels then like I am loading the suspension getting ready to launch at a drag strip or something. This is different to how it felt. I swear it felt exactly like I had left a manual transmission in gear and not pressed the clutch in except for any manual car I have had died way quicker than this one did.

I am gonna try out manual mode though to see if I can replicate it that way.

I like how anytime someone posts an issue a certain 2, maybe 3 members jump in and immediately challenge the posters integrity (i.e no respect) as if our cars have proven to be infallible. Or post a "it didn't happen to my car/never heard of it so it must be false" statement.

Latest posts

Back