2015 CX-9 color: Meteor Gray vs Jet Black ?

astriuminc

:
CX-9 2013 AWD
Hi guys,

Newbie here....

I'm looking to buy a 2015 CX-9 FWD, but really struggling with which color to get: Meteor Gray vs Jet Black

I like the Jet Black but my wife thinks the Meteor Gray seems more unique, has more color depth, and matches the wheel fender/bumper plastics better.

I've seen both colors on the road and I like the black color with the new tail lights
but just the thought of the pain of having a black car and washing every weekend gives me second thoughts.

I know color is very subjective but would really appreciate the thoughts from actual CX-9 owners like yourselves.

Thanks in advance.

please see attached picture:

gray vs black.jpg

Last edited:
Meteor Gray...all day long! Much nicer color. Really shows the lines of the cx9!
I have the dark blue and can tell ya its work keeping it nice!

Meteor gray. We got the Liquid Metallic Silver but only because that's what was on the lot with the options we wanted.

Meteor gray, I have the Meteor gray and love it, definitely shows the CX-9 lines much better, 2013 was when Mazda first introduced the color so it's more unique. Also, it matches the plastic cladding around the wheel wells and bumper much more than the black.

I believe before 2013, it was called galaxy gray (kind of like battleship dull gray) and it didn't have the "pearl effect" like meteor gray. Also, meteor gray hides the dirt and swirls very well.

I had a black car and the upkeep was a real pain on my elbow from all the cleaning just to keep it looking nice. Dust and swirls was visible on the black seconds right after washing, you can scratch it just by looking at it long enough. Every little blemish stood out against the black.

BLACK:

METEOR GREY:

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's your car, not ours. Get the color you like, not what a bunch of strangers on the internet tell you to get.

Meteor Gray, it's the closest color that matches the plastic panels by the wheel arches, I have a 2008 black one and can tell you firsthand it's a pain to keep it clean
and very hard to match plastic panels no matter how much Mother's Back to Black Plastic and Trim Restorer I use.

I agree, Meteor gray is a much nicer color. If anything, the only down side of it is it probably is one of the most common colors on the CX9. But even then, its just cause it looks so good.

Meteor Gray, it's the closest color that matches the plastic panels by the wheel arches, I have a 2008 black one and can tell you firsthand it's a pain to keep it clean
and very hard to match plastic panels no matter how much Mother's Back to Black Plastic and Trim Restorer I use.

On my 2008 I ended up using 3 magic erasers on all of the trim to Deep clean it then left it. Still looks OEM fresh still.

On my 2008 I ended up using 3 magic erasers on all of the trim to Deep clean it then left it. Still looks OEM fresh still.

hmmmmmm, what a great idea, I try it on an inconspicuous spot first, and if it works on mine, I'll do the rest, thanks for the tip !!!!

hmmmmmm, what a great idea, I try it on an inconspicuous spot first, and if it works on mine, I'll do the rest, thanks for the tip !!!!

My experience on other cars with the Magic Eraser is that it leaves a dull film, which can then just be wiped away with a damp cloth, and then looks great.

Back