2014 Mazda CX-9

My apologies...

There was mention that the rear and interior had enhancements as well, but no photos. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed. Hopefully it looks better in person. I was hoping for more.

Made to look more Infinity "Q"ish in front. Otherwise,..

I have to say, that's a fuggly color they chose to promote.

How can they wait so long for it to debut? It's not premiering until late October at the show, then not going on sale until "later" 2012?

How can they wait so long for it to debut? It's not premiering until late October at the show, then not going on sale until "later" 2012?

Maybe December. We just placed another allocation for 2012's which are due here in November. Maybe October's allocation will arrive in late December.

I noticed in the press release Mazda mentioned updated interior craftsmanship and style. I wonder if we will see a CX-5/Mazda6 influenced interior? I would be ok with that. I like the interior of my CX-5. A more refined one in the CX-9 sounds like a great idea.

Not that late- considering the "updates". Plus it takes months to ship a car from Japan, clear customs, transport, broker, and prep it.

Toyota's 2012 Venza didn't hit the showrooms till Feb 2012 out here. (No changes at all to speak of). And only a trickle came.

Maybe December. We just placed another allocation for 2012's which are due here in November. Maybe October's allocation will arrive in late December.

In such a competitive class, I just can't believe they'd wait till December for the 2013. A month later, some companies will be putting out 2014s.

Same old news really, so Mazda is just letting their bet ride.

What strikes me as troubling is that they missed the Paris show debut and chose Australia instead.

No Aussie flaming now - I love you guys!

In such a competitive class, I just can't believe they'd wait till December for the 2013. A month later, some companies will be putting out 2014s.

What manufacturer has a 2014 7-passenger SUV due out in the next few months? The newest competitors are the Pathfinder and updated Acadia/Enclave. I don't see any issue with a December launch.

Same old news really, so Mazda is just letting their bet ride.

What strikes me as troubling is that they missed the Paris show debut and chose Australia instead.

No Aussie flaming now - I love you guys!

The CX-9 is pretty popular in Australia. I'm not sure Mazda even offers the CX-9 in France, or much of Europe. That's why.

What manufacturer has a 2014 7-passenger SUV due out in the next few months? The newest competitors are the Pathfinder and updated Acadia/Enclave. I don't see any issue with a December launch.

I don't mean that 2014 7 passenger CUVs are coming out; but that's just really late for a debut of a refresh, rather than an entirely new model. Is there an "issue"? No--but I can't name another mfg that waits till December to debut the current model year when the only change is the front end. December is closeout, year end sale--not new model year intro...

Please keep in mind that these photos are 2013 CX9, not 2014 model, which will be a FMC (total redesign).
The 2013 is just a major facelift (front, back and interior, too). Rarely any automaker does such a big facelift
at the last year. Mazda must be trying hard to get the sales number up.

If I recall correctly, Highlander should have a FMC coming up soon. Pilot will be another year away.

Please keep in mind that these photos are 2013 CX9, not 2014 model, which will be a FMC (total redesign).
The 2013 is just a major facelift (front, back and interior, too). Rarely any automaker does such a big facelift
at the last year. Mazda must be trying hard to get the sales number up.

If I recall correctly, Highlander should have a FMC coming up soon. Pilot will be another year away.

It really seems like a lot of work for just one model year, don't you think? It seems Mazda took the same approach that GM did with it's Lambda triplets...new front and rear ends with a refreshed interior. I would think this model is here to stay for a while and perhaps Mazda will introduce the turbo charged engines in the future as has been speculated?

It really seems like a lot of work for just one model year, don't you think? It seems Mazda took the same approach that GM did with it's Lambda triplets...new front and rear ends with a refreshed interior. I would think this model is here to stay for a while and perhaps Mazda will introduce the turbo charged engines in the future as has been speculated?

Yeah--I'm wondering if the 2014 model is really a 2015. Not only is it a lot of work for one model year (not just re-worked tail lights...), it would be a short model year since it's debuting in October in AussieLand.

Mebbe. But they had to do the face transplant anyway, to unify the product line. It's the easiest thing on the list to pull off.

Seeing this, I'm a little more encouraged that the CX-9 model will not just disappear from the lineup. Long-term though, the odds are stacked against it (Aussie fans not withstanding).

Looks to me like Mazda is doing the redesign in several steps. New body in 2013, which is long overdue, followed by new skyactiv power train options in 2014 ? Exactly what I was hoping for anyway.

http://wot.motortrend.com/refreshed...d-at-30580-u-s-spec-info-released-292011.html

Refreshed 2013 Mazda CX-9 Crossover Priced at $30,580, U.S.-Spec Info Released

The 2013 Mazda CX-9 has undergone a second refresh, losing the smile-y front grille but adding interior upgrades three-row crossover buyers are likely to appreciate. Pricing for a 2013 Mazda CX-9 starts at $30,580 for a base front-drive Sport model and can crest $40,000 for an all-wheel-drive model with the rear-seat entertainment system.
All 2013 Mazda CX-9 crossovers headed to U.S. dealerships get the same styling changes we’ve seen from CX-9s debuting elsewhere around the world. That includes 2014 Mazda6-like touches including headlights with a trim piece that connects to the revised front grille and more attractive foglight surrounds. From the side, the available 20-inch wheels add a polished finish. You may recognize more Mazda6 influence in the taillight design, while repositioned rear reflector lights and less-stylized exhaust outlets complete the exterior changes.
On the $30,580 front-drive 2013 Mazda CX-9 Sport, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a 5.8-inch infotainment screen, Bluetooth, USB and auxiliary jack connection ports, 18-inch alloy wheels, and three-zone automatic climate control are standard. For $690, you can get an eight-way power driver seat with manual lumbar support, heated front seats, and heated side mirrors. With all-wheel drive, the CX-9 Sport is $32,170; both prices are up less than $300 compared to the 2012 CX-9.
Upgrade to the $33,025 2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring and the most noticeable improvement is leather seating. There’s also an eight-way power driver seat, four-way power front passenger seat, auto on/off headlights, blind-spot monitoring system, rear backup sensors, and a rearview camera that’s the same as the one on the CX-5. The all-wheel-drive model is $34,615, and if you want a navigation system, power liftgate, hands-free keyless entry, moonroof, and premium 10-speaker sound system, Mazda offers a $3000 Touring Technology package. Prices have been bumped up $585-$785 compared to last year’s models in the Touring trim level.
You’ll get 20-inch wheels on the 2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring, which costs $35,580 and adds chrome door handles, rain-sensing wipers, power-folding side mirrors that tilt down when in reverse, fog lights, power liftgate, HID headlights, LED daytime running lights, a three-position memory driver seat, and Bordeaux interior accents. The all-wheel-drive model carries an MSRP of $37,170; prices are up $1050 and $1250 from last year in front- and all-wheel-drive forms.
Mazda says the second row seat releases have been reconfigured — now, accessing the third-row seat is said to require one hand motion to unlatch the second-row seat and move it forward. A strap behind the third-row seat backrest makes it easier to pull the seat back up and can be used as a release to fold it down.
Mazda’s new 5.8-inch infotainment screen makes an appearance in the dash of the 2013 CX-9 on all trim levels. The system is HD-Radio and Pandora-ready and, as we’ve mentioned, a USB connection port and auxiliary jack are standard, along with improved Bluetooth. Also new on the 2013 CX-9 is what Mazda calls audio message receipt and delivery. Text messages can be shown on the display and a handful of reply templates can be sent back. A TomTom-based integrated navigation system is available on Touring and Grand Touring trims.
The 2013 Mazda CX-9 continues to be powered by a 273-hp 3.7-liter V-6, with expected fuel economy of 16-17/22-24 mpg city/highway, not at the top of the three-row crossover class. Then again, that didn’t hurt the pre-refresh Mazda CX-9, which was our 2008 sport/utility of the year and won a six-crossover comparison in March 2011.

The $7K+ incentives on the 2012's seems tempting, but there is just no good reason to upgrade from a 2011. Seems that will remain true in 2013 as well with this minor refresh. I could potentially see moving to a 2014 if there is a powerplant that provides better mpg. We are logging about 16K miles / year and so far seem to be averaging 17 mpg overall in a AWD touring. Which is not that great. Seems like even a Tahoe would get about the same mpg. So at that point what is the advantage of a CUV vs. a V8 based SUV really? Maybe couple mpg overall at best which isn't really much $ yearly with gas at $4 / gal. CX9 is nicer to drive than some SUV's, but not better than a 4Runner as one example...

Back