2014 Mazda CX-9

October issue in early August? My God...talk about getting a head of their selves...

I don't think they are right. I believe we will see something significant for 2013.

September? Whatever is the newest issue. My bad. But there is no way you will see significant changes to any vehicle one year before a completely new model--it just doesn't happen.

I just find it shocking that this is such a hot segment and so many of the manufacturers are sticking with aging products. The CX-9, Acadia, Enclave, Traverse, Highlander and Pilot are all older vehicles. It seems like the segment could be in for a rude awakening if somebody comes up with a breakthrough product. It could be the new Pathfinder. It could be the 3 row Santa Fe. GM is trying to get by with a facelift for the Lambdas for this next model year. Mazda may do the same for 2014. But I think this is risky. Maybe they have something more in store. The current CX-9 was a rare surprise in the auto market. It pretty much came out of nowhere. While there was a degree of anticipation for the CX-7, the CX-9 appeared at the NY Auto Show with no hype, no rumors, etc. Maybe they are developing its successor in similar secrecy...

I just find it shocking that this is such a hot segment and so many of the manufacturers are sticking with aging products. The CX-9, Acadia, Enclave, Traverse, Highlander and Pilot are all older vehicles. It seems like the segment could be in for a rude awakening if somebody comes up with a breakthrough product. It could be the new Pathfinder. It could be the 3 row Santa Fe. GM is trying to get by with a facelift for the Lambdas for this next model year. Mazda may do the same for 2014. But I think this is risky. Maybe they have something more in store. The current CX-9 was a rare surprise in the auto market. It pretty much came out of nowhere. While there was a degree of anticipation for the CX-7, the CX-9 appeared at the NY Auto Show with no hype, no rumors, etc. Maybe they are developing its successor in similar secrecy...

Isn't that just it though? If all cars in this segment have a 6 or more year life cycle, then why spend tons of money on a 4 year life cycle? I don't think it's any different for the Honda Accord / Toyota Camry segment--the most competitive class out there. The outgoing Nissan Altima seems like it's been around forever.

Isn't that just it though? If all cars in this segment have a 6 or more year life cycle, then why spend tons of money on a 4 year life cycle? I don't think it's any different for the Honda Accord / Toyota Camry segment--the most competitive class out there. The outgoing Nissan Altima seems like it's been around forever.

Toyota has fully overhauled the Camry twice since it introduced the current Highlander and it shows. Of course, the Camry is a much more important vehicle. It's sales numbers dwarf any 3 row crossover. But at the same time, the Highlander is well behind the field in its segment which is rare for a Toyota product. It's not that I think the CX-9 should have a four year life cycle. It's that it's about to enter it's 7th model year (2007-2013) with only the 2008 engine upgrade and the 2010 styling refresh. There has been no talk at all about changes on the horizon. No spy shots. No rumors. Maybe they've got something in the works and have kept it under wraps which means no new vehicle until 2014 at the earliest and that's not a 4 or 6 year cycle but an 8 year cycle.

Again, no competitors have leapfrogged the CX-9 yet. And I'm not worried about GM because their 2013 refresh is pretty minor and would indicate they don't have a major overhaul coming soon either. But Ford has shown a willingness to make significant improvements to it's cars annually (see Mustang, Edge, F-150). And the coming Pathfinder may be nice. Same with the 3 row Santa Fe.

Mazda doesn't have a lot of sales successes to point to right now. They are about to roll out a new Mazda6 which may be great but will need to be in order to even get noticed in the market. Right now, the Mazda3 and the CX-9 are the only Mazdas that are considered among the top of their class. If I were Mazda I would want to keep it that way and that would mean doing as much as possible to keep them ahead of the competition.

Toyota has fully overhauled the Camry twice since it introduced the current Highlander and it shows. Of course, the Camry is a much more important vehicle. It's sales numbers dwarf any 3 row crossover. But at the same time, the Highlander is well behind the field in its segment which is rare for a Toyota product. It's not that I think the CX-9 should have a four year life cycle. It's that it's about to enter it's 7th model year (2007-2013) with only the 2008 engine upgrade and the 2010 styling refresh. There has been no talk at all about changes on the horizon. No spy shots. No rumors. Maybe they've got something in the works and have kept it under wraps which means no new vehicle until 2014 at the earliest and that's not a 4 or 6 year cycle but an 8 year cycle.

Again, no competitors have leapfrogged the CX-9 yet. And I'm not worried about GM because their 2013 refresh is pretty minor and would indicate they don't have a major overhaul coming soon either. But Ford has shown a willingness to make significant improvements to it's cars annually (see Mustang, Edge, F-150). And the coming Pathfinder may be nice. Same with the 3 row Santa Fe.

Mazda doesn't have a lot of sales successes to point to right now. They are about to roll out a new Mazda6 which may be great but will need to be in order to even get noticed in the market. Right now, the Mazda3 and the CX-9 are the only Mazdas that are considered among the top of their class. If I were Mazda I would want to keep it that way and that would mean doing as much as possible to keep them ahead of the competition.

I don't know--I test drove the Highlander, CX-9 and Pilot. I don't really see how the Highlander is "well behind" these competitors. I think they are all pretty competitive, and whichever vehicle a person chooses boils down to personal choice. I hated the Pilot, even though I had a 1st gen, but my neighbor loves his. I don't think any of the cars in this class really have any compelling features to pull it head and shoulders over the others.

All speculation! Who's going to volunteer to hide in the bushes with a camera outside their headquarters in Hiroshima and get some spy pics? :D

I don't know--I test drove the Highlander, CX-9 and Pilot. I don't really see how the Highlander is "well behind" these competitors. I think they are all pretty competitive, and whichever vehicle a person chooses boils down to personal choice. I hated the Pilot, even though I had a 1st gen, but my neighbor loves his. I don't think any of the cars in this class really have any compelling features to pull it head and shoulders over the others.
Highlanders were well behind in my opinion when they have 1-piece 3rd row bench a few years back.
It was a big turn-off to many.

Over here on the rock, every other car is a Camry. The rest are Highlanders. ;-)

Very rare to see A CX-9, unless you go on the marine base. There I parked next to 2 of them.

No surprise. Highlanders and Pilots sell 5:1 to CX9.
Most people care about reliability than fun to drive.

Highlanders were well behind in my opinion when they have 1-piece 3rd row bench a few years back.
It was a big turn-off to many.

They fixed that; it's 50/50 split. I'm with you; that is one single feature that would have turned me away.

The latest issue of car and driver, or maybe last months stated the new cx-9 would come out in 2013 as a 2014 model. No pics though. Probably another 6-9 months before we see anything.

The latest issue of car and driver, or maybe last months stated the new cx-9 would come out in 2013 as a 2014 model. No pics though. Probably another 6-9 months before we see anything.

That would not be surprising considering the two most recent (and announced) new designs. The 2013 CX-5 came out in early 2012. The 2014 Mazda6 is due in early 2013. I think a 2014 Mazda CX-9 due out in early 2013 could be a possibility too.

I have been scouring the Internet for possible spy shots or product info, but nothing comes up. We just might have to wait until the end of 2013 for a new CX-9. Usually spy shots pop up by now if a newer product was right around the corner.

Patience is a virtue, my friends...
Early 2013 is when you might get more info about CX9.
I am sure Mazda is working on the turbo 2.5L Skyactiv now, for Speed6 and CX9.

Patience is a virtue, my friends...
Early 2013 is when you might get more info about CX9.
I am sure Mazda is working on the turbo 2.5L Skyactiv now, for Speed6 and CX9.

If Mazda is working on a new Mazdaspeed6, they are keeping it under tight wraps for I have been given no indication they are intending to build one.

I'm not sold on a turbo 4-cyl for the CX-9. The car just seems to big for a boosted 4-cyl engine. I wish they were working on a Skyactiv V6, but apparently they aren't.

The CX-9 is getting old but so is everything in the segment. The Acadia/Traverse/Enclave is old and is only about to get a face lift. The Highlander is old. The Pilot is old and just got a facelift. For such a hot segment, the manufacturers seem to be content letting their 3 row CUVs hang on the vine a little too long in my opinion. They risk getting completely outclassed if something new shows up. Each of these cars dodged a bullet with the new Explorer, which is OK but not a homerun. If Ford had knocked it out of the park with the Explorer, then the other competitors would be in big trouble with no new product on the horizon. The upper trim levels of all these cars (those costing in the low to mid $40s) are about to have their lunch eaten by the Infiniti JX. I think the CX-9 is still a very competitive product but Mazda (and the other manufacturers) might be taking a big risk that something else might come along and leave them all behind. Maybe the new Pathfinder? Maybe something from Korea?

Check sales numbers, the Explorer is hitting it out of the park. Even though it has received bad reviewes and has ended up in last place in just about every comparison test, people like the way it looks, it gets decent fuel mileage, especially with the turbo 4, and seats 7 comfortably. To bring more "drivers" to the mix, they added an Explorer Sport for 2013, that has a turbo 6 engine, sport suspension, etc. I've always liked the Explorer, and have felt the Mazda was a little underpowered, therefore the Explorer Sport seems to be a great vehicle alternative, but the way things are going, I will probably be keeping the Mazda for at least 3 more years.

Back