2014 cx5 ipod alternative - iphone over bluetooth?

garyd9

:
'14 Sky Blue CX-5 GT w/ Tech
(I have the touch screen radio in my mazda... The upgraded one that breaks ipod/USB support...)

I'm considering, as an alternative for plugging my trusty iPod 5G in via USB, to grab an old iPhone (or 4th gen ipod touch) with iOS6 and using it via bluetooth. That, however, leads me to some questions..

First, is it possible for the mazda radio to connect to two different BT devices at the same time? One for media, and the other for phone? (The idea is that my real phone would be used for phone calls and messages, and the iphone would only be used for media.)

Secondly, iOS6 supports AVRCP 1.4 (which allows folder browsing and shuffling over BT.) Supposedly, the mazda radio also supports AVRCP 1.4. The question I have is: Does it actually work? When an iphone with iOS6 is connected via BT, and the car radio is in "bluetooth" mode, does the shuffle and folder browsing work?

Thanks
Gary

Answering my own questions...

Yes, the radio can connect to two different BT devices - one for phone and the other for media...

No, AVRCP 1.4 extensions (shuffle and folder browsing) do NOT seem to work when combining iOS6 and the mazda radio: The shuffle button is just grayed out, and the buttons to change folders don't do anything whatsoever. I'm inclined to believe that this is a flaw in the mazda radio (as opposed to a flaw in iOS.)

Gary

Back