2014 CX5 2.5 fuel econ horrible

Everyones opinion on gas mileage will be relevant to your expectations and past experiences. My old Honda CR-V always got 19 in the city and 23 if I was all highway. With my CX-5, I am getting 23 when driving all city (trips around 15 minutes only) and up to 32 when doing all highway. Add to the fact that the CX-5 is a hoot to drive and call me happy!

I also had a Geo Metro back in the early 90's and routinely got 50 MPG on that thing. It would only cost me $10 to fill the tank. Man those were the days...

I'd say they have pretty good proof. Lets say your speed is 70 mph, which is approximately 17% less efficient than driving the 55 mph at which the official efficiency stats are measured: http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Also consider this reference that claims a 28% drop in economy as temperatures drop from 95F to 5F: http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm

Not to mention winter fuel blends are high in butane, thus lower in energy density than summer blends.

Essentially, you will never reach manufacturer-stated values if you do any of: drive fast, drive in cold conditions, drive in snow, run the defroster (which runs the air-conditioner), drive in heavy traffic. That is, you will never reach manufacturer stated values.

This. There's quite a difference in the instant-read mpg when going from 65 mph to 75mph. She's efficient, but still more of a boxy shape than say, the 6.

That said, the 'official' figures are much more complicated. They don't drive 55 for it. They vary speeds and other variables: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates

Took mine to the dealer yesterday for its first service, showed proof of lousy mileage. They wouldn't even hook up their scanner to it, said it's still too new and not broke in and the ECU hasn't learned my driving style yet......
They must think this 15 year master tech for Ford doesn't know better. :(

I have always been able to get better that EPA fuel mileage!

The person who pulled in in front of me with the same car/motor/drivetrain showed me their display,,,, 27 MPG! And, they said they lived in town and hardly did any highway driving!

27 sounds high for city driving. They may have been fibbing a little. Ours shows 26 average with a 50/50 mix of city/hwy. And I only have FWD. Granted that was its first full tank, so it certainly isn't "broken in" yet.

The display/car computer isn't always accurate.
I always calculate miles driven by gallons filled at every fill up.
Usually the actual mpg is slightly lower than the computer.
I've been getting ~24 mpg in this cold winter where temps hovered between 0-10 deg F.
Now it's warmed up a bit, getting close to 25mpg.
In the summer, it's ~26mpg for all local driving.
Haven't taken a long road trip where I have to fill a whole tank yet.
AWD 2.5l GT.

Drove from Madison, WI to O'Hare airport in Chicago yesterday. Cruise locked on 65 the whole way. Temps in the 20's. Very light traffic.
Miles driven: 318
MPG 26.05

Drove from Madison, WI to O'Hare airport in Chicago yesterday. Cruise locked on 65 the whole way. Temps in the 20's. Very light traffic.
MPG 26.05

That seems low but based upon the cold and the degree of hills, not far off. I have found the cold temps really affect the MPG on this car.

MPG 26.05
On Friday, Feb 21? It was really windy that day so it will lower your mpg. Not sure if you took the tollway near here, it's all concrete with grooves so it's not as smooth as asphalt so that doesn't help mileage either.

I have a 2014 touring with all the options available. Although I regret not going to the grand for the wheels and heated leather seats.

Anyway,

My gas mileage over the 5000 miles Ive driven the car is a horrible 21.4 MPG. When I manually calculate each tank, its really like 20.8.

How is every review saying this car gets great gas mileage when my buddies V6 grand cherokee, full time AWD and much heavier+ larger motor reads 19 MPG over 7K miles. My driving is mixed, 50 city 50 highway in NY, where even highway driving is not so pleasurable. But this, this average is even below the full time city quote.

Is there something wrong with my engine? I plan on going in for the first 7500 mile service the book says in 2 months or so.

Other annoyances with the car are:

Right side of dash by passenger rattles over tiny road imperfections.

Engine randomly shakes the entire cars when idling. Its very faint, but I notice it.

This gas mileage is deplorable for a "skyactiv" engine that talks about fuel economy all the time.

I am very confused by most people's gas mileages they show here. I have the same model as you. I get 24.5-25.5 mpg with about 95% of that being non-highway. I live in the Houston metro area, so i pretty much drive city miles all the time. If i drove it like my grandpa drives i could probably manage 27 mpg, but i dont think it would get any better than that. I don't drive super aggressively, but i don't drive like a senior citizen either.

I think i am neither impressed, nor discouraged by the gas mileage. It's just ok.

I hope you start to get better results than what you are getting.

On Friday, Feb 21? It was really windy that day so it will lower your mpg. Not sure if you took the tollway near here, it's all concrete with grooves so it's not as smooth as asphalt so that doesn't help mileage either.

Ya, Thursday was super windy! Friday evening was much better! Took 90 the whole way.

I am very confused by most people's gas mileages they show here. I have the same model as you. I get 24.5-25.5 mpg with about 95% of that being non-highway. I live in the Houston metro area, so i pretty much drive city miles all the time. If i drove it like my grandpa drives i could probably manage 27 mpg, but i dont think it would get any better than that. I don't drive super aggressively, but i don't drive like a senior citizen either.

I think i am neither impressed, nor discouraged by the gas mileage. It's just ok.

I hope you start to get better results than what you are getting.

I just refilled my second tank. I've gotten 25.4/26.1 in city driving and rarely get on highway. I am amazed since CX-5 gets same city mileage as my 2007 Honda Civic. The CX-5 is 2.5L and Civic is 1.8L. The CX-5 weighs 700# more. I don't think there is any comparable SUV out there that can get real world mileage of CX-5 unless its diesel or a hybrid.

It is amazing how much this car hates the cold. I have noticed that I can drop about 0.4 MPG (with half tank of gas left) by letting the car idle for 10 minutes. But, if I just get in the car and start driving when it is cold out (15-20oF), I will still drop out 0.2 MPG. The MPG will get better once the car is warm and driven for a while but for short trips in the winter, the MPG will suffer.

To the OP, we have the same vehicle and my daily round trip commute is 12 miles up and down Old Country Rd, from stop light to stop light. Every other week I take it on the LIE. Either you have a heavy foot, using lousy gas, have a technical problem or a combo since you should be getting better mileage. See below from Fuelly.

When I first got my CX5, my daily commute was 30 miles each way, with 20 of them being pure highway. I was regularly getting 34 or 35 mpg.

My commute for the last 6 months has been 25 miles each way, all suburban. I have been averaging 25-28 mpg but some tanks have been as low as 22.

Oh, and I am a bit of a lead foot so I am not sure why the OP has such a low number.

Have to admit I'm a bit relieved after reading these numbers on here. I've had my CX-5 GT AWD for 5 weeks and 3000 miles (yes, 3000 in 5 weeks). Around 90% highway (75-80 mph) and I've been getting a consistent 25 MPG based on my own math. Was supremely disappointed at first, but the AVG high temp has been about 30 degrees here for the time I've owned the car. That combined with winter gas (never knew about it), the car still being new, and my heavier-than-average foot are all responsible for the low number. I've noticed the MPG improve on the rare warm day.

I think I'm going to have to wait to see by the end of the Spring to see what kind of MPG the car is capable of getting.

Around 90% highway (75-80 mph) and I've been getting a consistent 25 MPG based on my own math.

Unfortunately, best MPG are attained at lower speeds. But, if you're doing that kind of mileage, it's understandable that you don't want to spend any more time on the road than you have to.

Have to admit I'm a bit relieved after reading these numbers on here. I've had my CX-5 GT AWD for 5 weeks and 3000 miles (yes, 3000 in 5 weeks). Around 90% highway (75-80 mph) and I've been getting a consistent 25 MPG based on my own math. Was supremely disappointed at first, but the AVG high temp has been about 30 degrees here for the time I've owned the car. That combined with winter gas (never knew about it), the car still being new, and my heavier-than-average foot are all responsible for the low number. I've noticed the MPG improve on the rare warm day.

I think I'm going to have to wait to see by the end of the Spring to see what kind of MPG the car is capable of getting.
So another data point here. When we are doing around town driving (day to day, not commuting) we average 26-28'ish MPG. Last week we drove down to Florida for a week (MD-FL, 950 miles each way). In the highway stretches where we largely followed the 65mph limit (some sections, a bit faster) we got 32-33mpg. In the faster long distance stretches of 75mph, it dropped back under 30mpg. These figures based on actual fill-up calculations. So this just reinforces that high-speeds really do give your mileage a kick in the pants! (Note, ours is a FWD 2.5l)

So another data point here. When we are doing around town driving (day to day, not commuting) we average 26-28'ish MPG. Last week we drove down to Florida for a week (MD-FL, 950 miles each way). In the highway stretches where we largely followed the 65mph limit (some sections, a bit faster) we got 32-33mpg. In the faster long distance stretches of 75mph, it dropped back under 30mpg. These figures based on actual fill-up calculations. So this just reinforces that high-speeds really do give your mileage a kick in the pants! (Note, ours is a FWD 2.5l)

I have observed the same thing. On my all highway trips in 40 degree weather I get ~32 MPG. This is with a 2.5 AWD GT. Around town, I am getting ~24-25 MPG.

Unfortunately, best MPG are attained at lower speeds. But, if you're doing that kind of mileage, it's understandable that you don't want to spend any more time on the road than you have to.

No doubt. 58 miles each way for work, but I take my time a bit more on the way home. The cold weather and conditions have seemed to influence the mileage the most.

Last edited:
Sweet spot for me from observations seems to be 30-60 mph. I am at 28 mpg @256 miles with owning the cx5 for 4.5 days. Haven't filled up yet, that will be the real deal. I did notice the insta-meter is kinda jupy with its values. Mine shows 99mpg as i coast, and continues to show 99 until i am almost stopped which just isnt true. Also it pops up/down 4mpg when i am cruising without adjusting the gas, so im not taking the instant mpg readings too seriously yet.

Back