2014.5 CX-5 features and how to identify?

My sales rep told me, that from december 2013 all cx-5's will come with the straight shifter and new wheel design. Thats what the distributor told her via email, ill try to keep digging cos here in my country its the first time we getting the GT 2.5 and thats what I've been waiting for.

Well... my dad picked up a 2014 last week without knowing there was a change to the 2014.5 and at the same time I was at a different dealership negotiating a price for a new one and came across some differences. Needless to say, hes a little ticked off he wasn't told either.

While at the dealership I pointed it out to the salesperson and he acted like there was no difference so I walked away. I did more search and found out that there is a 2014.5 update and took it up to the sales guy and pretty much yelled at him and asked to speak to the manager/owner (I sent a few angry emails to the sales manager and owners daughter which happened to work for the dealership as well so I was well taken care of). At the end they ordered me a new 2014.5 and got 1700$ off the MRSP price on a 2014.5 GT with tech so I'm happy... now the waiting game as it is supposed to be in Vancouver in Feb.

I didn't ask and I don't think the dealership guys know if the Canadian GT + tech models will have a driver seat memory which would be extremely beneficial for me as I have to share the car with my wife 5"5 vs 5"10... They seemed to think the only option was the shifter to a straight shifter with boot instead of the gated... Sometimes I wish I could just buy the car directly from Amazon.com or something similar and bypass the dealer commission as they are useless anyhow.

Sometimes I wish I could just buy the car directly from Amazon.com or something similar and bypass the dealer commission as they are useless anyhow.

Some day I will buy a Tesla. Buy directly from them, no stupid car dealer bulls***.
I really don't understand why car dealerships exists. Some sort of lawsuit a long time ago that makes car makers NOT allow to sell themselves... w.t.f?
Lots of dealers suing Tesla because they're selling their own cars.

image.jpg
I took this picture of a cx-5 that came today at the dealer with the new shifter. Dealer told me my GT will come like that, but don't know what other changes.

Yup, I was passing by the dealership last night and saw a truck delivering new Mazda's and stopped to have a look... they all had the same shifter but didnt see any evident changes.

I am wondering, would it be possible to add on a module which would remember the position of the driver seat according to the fob used to unlock the vehicle? This is one feature I think I'll miss over my 2006 Murano(won't miss the gas consumption though haha) as I share a car with my wife who's a few inches shorter.

Last edited:
View attachment 206130
I took this picture of a cx-5 that came today at the dealer with the new shifter. Dealer told me my GT will come like that, but don't know what other changes.

That's what mine looks like. I guess I lucked up when I bought mine 3 weeks ago because I didn't know there was a difference. :) The manufacture date in my door shows 11/13.

Does anyone know how to identify the 2014.5 models from the VIN's?

My mother and I ordered two nearly identical CX-5's GT AWD (no tech) on December 30, 2013 and are awaiting delivery of them (hopefully soon). Today, I was provided the VIN for the second of the two CX-5's by Mazda Canada Roadside Assistance; but, you apparently can't tell the date of manufacture from the VIN.

The last six digits of the VIN's for our two vehicles end in 413XXX and 421XXX, respectively (I've obscured the last 3 numbers as "X"'s, out of privacy concerns). Does anyone who received the 2014.5, have VIN's that are sequentially earlier than our two VIN's?

I am just wondering whether we will receive the last of the 2014's or will be one of the recipients of the early 2014.5's.

Last edited:
I could really use the memory seats. Our CX5 ended up being our only car this last year and moving the seat twice a day is getting old. Also need to see if I can retrofit the new led drls.

Does anyone know how to identify the 2014.5 models from the VIN's?

My mother and I ordered two nearly identical CX-5's GT AWD (no tech) on December 30, 2013 and are awaiting delivery of them (hopefully soon). Today, I was provided the VIN for the second of the two CX-5's by Mazda Canada Roadside Assistance; but, you apparently can't tell the date of manufacture from the VIN.

The VIN's for our two vehicles end in 413250 and 421914, respectively. Does anyone who received the 2014.5, have VIN's that are sequentially earlier than our two VIN's?

I am just wondering whether we will receive the last of the 2014's or will be one of the recipients of the early 2014.5's.

I picked up my GT (no tech) today and it's a 2014.5. My VIN is 429XXX though. Kinda surprised how long you've had to wait. I signed a deal on Sunday and the car was ready to pick up on Thursday. It was already in port though and I'm in Vancouver so they just had to pull it for transport to the dealership.

I share your surprise as to how long we've had to wait for delivery. We were told at the time of purchase that the first of the two vehicles purchased would be delivered by the second week of January; yet, it still hasn't been delivered. However, I was told at the outset that the second one wouldn't be delivered until mid to late February, so that timeline is still achievable. Time will tell.

I'm sure that the cross-country rail trip from the west coast to Toronto adds several weeks to delivery times. Also, the local demand for and popularity of the vehicles creates a difficulty in finding the exact vehicle ordered by trading with other dealerships. Oh well, not much we can do to expedite the process and at least we have been provided with VIN's, so we know the wait shouldn't be too much longer.

I'm sure the dealership would like to complete the transaction as soon as possible too, because in the meantime, all that my mother and I are doing is racking up the mileage on our trade-ins and potentially lowering their resale values for the dealership.

Last edited:
I am looking at trading in my CX-9 this weekend for a CX-5. Glad I saw this thread. Perhaps that's why I am getting such a good deal on the 5. So LED lights and memory seats are tell tale signs of a 2014.5 from what I read?

I don't think so. Where did you see that? I'm not aware of any CX-5's having memory seats; at least, in Canada.

And where are these LED lights you speak of supposed to be? Interior or exterior? I'm not aware of those either.

The only outwardly visible sign that differentiates the 2014 from the 2014.5 that I'm aware of, is the leather-like boot cover for the shift lever.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Where did you see that? I'm not aware of any CX-5's having memory seats; at least, in Canada.

And where are these LED lights you speak of supposed to be? Interior or exterior? I'm not aware of those either.

The only outwardly visible sign that differentiates the 2014 from the 2014.5 that I'm aware of, is the leather-like boot cover for the shift gate.

Do tell the source of your information.

Last edited:
I am looking at trading in my CX-9 this weekend for a CX-5. Glad I saw this thread. Perhaps that's why I am getting such a good deal on the 5. So LED lights and memory seats are tell tale signs of a 2014.5 from what I read?

None of that applies for US as far as I know. US only got new color and a new shift gate.

My mother and I are picking up our matching 2014 (hopefully they turn out to be the 2014.5's) CX-5 GT's (no Tech) in Aluminum Metallic Mica tomorrow afternoon.

Just got a dumping of about 12" snow today, so lot's of opportunity to check out the CX-5 AWD abilities/limitations

Anticipation ...

None of that applies for US as far as I know. US only got new color and a new shift gate.

I thought I read about the LED lights and Memory Seats? Was that just the Canadian model? It's in post #13 the guy attached those flyers. Disregard. The guy is overseas. Didn't notice that before LOL

Last edited:
2014.5 built after October also have some structural frame changes that allow the CX-5 to pass the difficult small overlap crash test. May not be as fun as some fancy technology change but after watching the crash test videos I'd say its a pretty important change.

Back