2013 stereo upgrade?

Max Archer

:
'12 Mazda 2 Touring 5MT/'87 325IS 2DR 5MT
Apparently the '13 Mazda2 now has a USB port for the stereo. This has been one of the few things I've really missed from my old car. Anybody know anything about what it'd take to upgrade to the new HU?

I'd love to have that. My last two cars had a kenwood unit with a USB. I don't like switching CD's while driving, and the local rock station I like just went off air. On the upside my wife commented on how good the stereo sounds in the 2 compared with her 5. I find that interesting considering the lightweight speakers and whatnot.

Have you tried consulting with your local mazda service departement, or one of the mechanics?

I've been wanting to do this for a while too.

I'd love to have that. My last two cars had a kenwood unit with a USB. I don't like switching CD's while driving, and the local rock station I like just went off air. On the upside my wife commented on how good the stereo sounds in the 2 compared with her 5. I find that interesting considering the lightweight speakers and whatnot.

Have you tried consulting with your local mazda service departement, or one of the mechanics?

She like the stock stereo ? The Mazda 5 stock speakers must be awful then lol :p

I'll see what the guys at the dealer say, but generally they're barely aware that the Mazda2 exists, and usually pretty behind on news. I had to spend 20 minutes convincing them that the OEM Bluetooth unit existed before they believed me, haha.

I'm ok with the sound quality of my Touring's stereo. The extra speakers make a big difference vs. the Sport I tried, though.

Well since mine is the touring and hers is the base sport model (only way to get the 6mt), I believe I may have a couple extra speakers. Plus I'm not sure she tried adjusting the bass or treble at all to tune the sound.

The stock unit won't take any usb input, so you'll need to upgrade the deck. Most decks these day (even cheap ones) come with a usb input of some kind. mid-high range decks offer full ipod control and navigation on the deck. I'm a Kenwood man myself but alpine and pioneer make great units as well. Prices range from around $200-$1400.

You will need a DIN adaptor kit from Metra or Schosche or someone... I think my metra kit ran about $80 and then another $20 for the wiring harness. If you want to install it yourself, be prepared to disassemble the better part of the dash. It's a HUGE pain to get at the stereo piece in the centre. Its one of the few things about my stereo I paid someone to do.

If you want to maintain steering wheel controls, you'll need an adaptor. There are a couple out there but I think I used the Axxess ASWC. it worked perfectly with little to no set-up.

Plus I'm not willing to spend the better part of a grand on an aftermarket unit when it sucks to install, will hurt resale value, I haven't seen any DIN conversion kits that look as nice as the stock dash piece they replace, and an aftermarket stereo would last about 30 minutes in my neighborhood. I'm completely fine with the stock unit aside from the lack of a USB input. I'd rather replace my deck with an OEM '13 deck than an aftermarket one.

In fact it is really easy to remove the stock unit.. There is only one bolt who hold the stereo in place

Plus I'm not willing to spend the better part of a grand on an aftermarket unit when it sucks to install, will hurt resale value, I haven't seen any DIN conversion kits that look as nice as the stock dash piece they replace, and an aftermarket stereo would last about 30 minutes in my neighborhood. I'm completely fine with the stock unit aside from the lack of a USB input. I'd rather replace my deck with an OEM '13 deck than an aftermarket one.

+1

I thought that bolt was only accessible from the driver's side, hence having to pull a bunch of trim pieces off.

There is a video on youtube about removing dash and replacing stereo unit! I'll try to find it and will post it here if i do ;)

I've been thinking about USB input for awhile now. Anyone have experience with this: http://4n-gx.de/G10_en.html
?

Looks like it uses the media bay interface, like how the AuxMod does for the 1st gen Mazda3's. I'm not sure our factory headunits even have that bay/connector, and if they did, I don't know what button would activate it. Looks like a pretty cool solution if it works for us.

Back