2013 Mazda CX-9 Images Released...

A great improvement over the 2010-2012 front end. I am interested to see what the interior improvements will look like. Disappointed on the 3.7L engine carryover. Overall looks like another refresh than a re-design.

I'm not so sure about the grill, why Mazda chooses to go this route for every car blows my mind. Having a "universal design language" can be neat (BMW, MB, Audi, etc) I think you at least have to start with a good looking car. They started with the Mazda 3, and while much improved over that it is just not an overall appealing design, to me at least.

For the new design I would say the look best in this order:
Mazda 6
Cx-5
Cx-9
-Big Gap-
Mazda 3

The further down the list the more out of place catfish mouth looks.

just looking at the pic it looks like headlight washers, LED's and side view mirror turn signals will be new. But overall this is a refresh not redesign.

just looking at the pic it looks like headlight washers, LED's and side view mirror turn signals will be new. But overall this is a refresh not redesign.

Headlight washers?? Why--just to say they are the only car in the class with them? What a waste. I'd rather them add a couple of door cupholders (instead of armrest) and an additional power port in the 2nd row. THAT would be useful.

I didn't see any washers.

Looks like part of the new cheap trim accent that is continued inside the lamp housing, (like Snooki's trashy eyeliner).

those nubs under the headlights generally house retractable headlight washers. We'll see if I'm right. :)

Seriously? Those? I figgered they were forward facing radar/infrared sensors for the new collision avoidance/lane safety systems.

120921a.jpg

We will see soon. I may be wrong, but my speculation is way cooler,.. ;-)

(We already have the side signal mirrors on the GT, and those lamps could easily be XENON/Halogen, just like on the new redesigned CX-5 has - which this car emulates).

Last edited:
Headlight washers?? Why--just to say they are the only car in the class with them? What a waste. I'd rather them add a couple of door cupholders (instead of armrest) and an additional power port in the 2nd row. THAT would be useful.

It's not a waste. For hid lights, headlight washers are a safety feature to prevent glare due to a dirty headlight.

It's not a waste. For hid lights, headlight washers are a safety feature to prevent glare due to a dirty headlight.

Hogwash (with all due respect, of course). I'll bet most cars with HIDs don't have them (there are plenty of Nissans with HIDs--I'll bet none of them have headlight washers). My '12 CX-9 GT doesn't have them; my Lexus does have them--and they weren't standard. So if this is a safety feature needed for HIDs, they'd be standard. And headlight washers have been around way longer than HID headlights.

Hogwash (with all due respect, of course). I'll bet most cars with HIDs don't have them (there are plenty of Nissans with HIDs--I'll bet none of them have headlight washers). My '12 CX-9 GT doesn't have them; my Lexus does have them--and they weren't standard. So if this is a safety feature needed for HIDs, they'd be standard. And headlight washers have been around way longer than HID headlights.

European regulations req hid washers. Damn Europeans, what suckers they are! We Americans know better.

European regulations req hid washers. Damn Europeans, what suckers they are! We Americans know better.

Same in Australia. We have those on all standard HID cars, that is a normal features (and required by law) here.

Regarding the car, I've looked in person (on Australian International Motor Show) and the 90% of the interior are the same. Engine (AUS Spec) will be the same. Aged gearbox are the same. And there wont be any SkyACTIV for Australia market as well. (protest)

Latest posts

Back