2013 CX-9 GT with Tech Pack

Hello, I am in the market for a 7-seater and the CX-9 is on my list. I know quite a bit about the pre-2013 CX-9's, and the 2013 doesn't seem to be too different than the previous version. However, I am interested in learning:

1. What other vehicles have you considered?
2. Why did you choose the CX-9?
3. If you would do it over, would you choose the CX-9 again?
4. What do you hate/dislike about the CX-9?
5. What do you love about the CX-9?
6. What would you like to change about the CX-9?
7. How's the ride quality (suspension, handling), and have you encountered any noise issues (internally and externally)?

I appreciate your input and am looking forward to seeing your opinions.

Thanks,

Steve

Hello, I am in the market for a 7-seater and the CX-9 is on my list. I know quite a bit about the pre-2013 CX-9's, and the 2013 doesn't seem to be too different than the previous version. However, I am interested in learning:

7. How's the ride quality (suspension, handling), and have you encountered any noise issues (internally and externally)?

Thanks,

Steve

1. MDX, Enclave, Arcadia.
2. Prior Mazda owner. Sportier look and feel.
3. Maybe not, due to now too few good dealers close by and how much more functional minivans are given the same bigness/clumsiness.
4. Paint and metal are thin. Earlier generation CX-9 has inconsistent leather. OEM tires were terrible. Shaky driver-side mirrors.
5. Driving position. Good value. Can seat 7. Sporty look.
6. Latch anchors in 3rd row. A little more power and better fuel economy.
7. Suspension is fine, a little firmer than competitors. Sporty feel, but no better performance than competitors. Suspension pops sometimes and console shifter plate squeak.

Hope that helps. That said, I have one and it's pretty ok.

ZoomFive

Thanks,

Steve

1. Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Outback, Nissan Murano.
2. Drives the best, tied with Murano, and looks decent. Unlike Murano, does not have all this techno blingy crap that looks good at first but drives you nuts after a while.
3. Probably would go for a CX-5, although this is a close call.
4. Gas mileage. No mute button on steering wheel; I would trade the useless bluetooth for that. Stock music system is crap (Sport trim). Driver's side mirror vibrating. Stock tires are dangerous on ice.
5. Simple and intuitive controls. Cargo capacity. Handling in town. Comfort on long trips. Great cloth heated seats.
6. See #4.
7. All good here, although some cars might be softer, but this is entirely a matter of personal preference.

Thanks,

Steve

1. Subaru Outback, Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester, CX-5
2. I always liked the CX-9 but it was bigger and more expensive than what I was looking for. Then they offered a $4,000 rebate and it became cheaper than all the other cars I was looking at. I also chose it over the other cars because of the sporty look and drive and because it seemed to be higher quality and just a generally nicer and more upscale look.
3. If it was offered with a great discount yes and if it got better fuel economy since it seems like every other cars fuel economy rating is increasing.
4. The fuel economy is kinda low
5. I love how upscale and comfortable it is
6. I would give it better fuel economy
7. The ride quality is very good although it is a little firm but that's a trade off for the excellent handling

Thanks guys for taking time to share your input with me. I do prefer a firmer ride, and I hope the CX9 will stay firm for a long time. Currently I am driving an MDX loaner with 4K miles and it is a lot softer than I'd hoped.

1. What other vehicles have you considered? Volvo XC-90 (but is VERY maintenance heavy, in the shop all the time), Subaru Tribeca (parts are expensive and not immediately available, and reviews aren't that great), GM Lambda vehicle - Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, Outlook. But they are GM so they got crossed off my list. Audi Q7 - like the Volvo, maintenance heavy, not that reliable, resale value is horrible, doesn't seem that nice for an Audi, does not have a long shelf life. Minivan - just out of the question. Jeep Grand Cherokee - not out yet when I got a CX-9, Highlander - Terrible seats, 3rd row is a joke, Toyota egg smell to this day on new vehicles.
2. Why did you choose the CX-9? Drives great, reliable, looks, value, 3rd row can seat adults, it's cool, GT has xenon lights & 20 inch wheels, plus it is made in Japan.
3. If you would do it over, would you choose the CX-9 again? It would largely depend on the horsepower and gas mileage. Rumor mill has it the next one gets a four banger, which would be crossed off my list completely. However, the current engine sucks gas like no other, so I'm not sure. Gas is eating us up.
4. What do you hate/dislike about the CX-9? The passenger front seat height is non-adjustable, and sits pretty high. The exhaust has no music so all you hear is the engine, The power liftgate lifting bar has a fatal flaw and when over-used, the bar rips the metal off the gate of some folk's CX-9. Gas mileage sucks, the seats are very supportive, but when you wiggle them left/right, they don't seem very sturdy - I'm worried about how they react in an accident. Toyota seats while zero support, seem very sturdy.
5. What do you love about the CX-9? Handling, horsepower, 20 inch wheels, xenon lamps (gt model), 3rd row, cargo space, suspension/steering is awesome, very quiet cabin (tires help this)
6. What would you like to change about the CX-9? Biggest thing is the front passenger seat.
7. How's the ride quality (suspension, handling), and have you encountered any noise issues (internally and externally)? Ride quality is rock solid. GT model has 245/50/20 tires so you get a bit more feedback than sport or touring model. I would say though that it is much more tight and responsive compared to other vehicles in a similar category. The driver door trim panel squeaks like no other. Just driving down the road, the driver trim panel plastic rubs against the clearcoat on the doorshell and makes an annoying squeak. There is a diy thread on here for fixing that.

Thank you very much for your input, helbigtw! I guess for $10,000 less than a MDX, the subtle flaws can be ignored.

1. What other vehicles have you considered? Volvo XC-90 (but is VERY maintenance heavy, in the shop all the time), Subaru Tribeca (parts are expensive and not immediately available, and reviews aren't that great), GM Lambda vehicle - Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, Outlook. But they are GM so they got crossed off my list. Audi Q7 - like the Volvo, maintenance heavy, not that reliable, resale value is horrible, doesn't seem that nice for an Audi, does not have a long shelf life. Minivan - just out of the question. Jeep Grand Cherokee - not out yet when I got a CX-9, Highlander - Terrible seats, 3rd row is a joke, Toyota egg smell to this day on new vehicles.
2. Why did you choose the CX-9? Drives great, reliable, looks, value, 3rd row can seat adults, it's cool, GT has xenon lights & 20 inch wheels, plus it is made in Japan.
3. If you would do it over, would you choose the CX-9 again? It would largely depend on the horsepower and gas mileage. Rumor mill has it the next one gets a four banger, which would be crossed off my list completely. However, the current engine sucks gas like no other, so I'm not sure. Gas is eating us up.
4. What do you hate/dislike about the CX-9? The passenger front seat height is non-adjustable, and sits pretty high. The exhaust has no music so all you hear is the engine, The power liftgate lifting bar has a fatal flaw and when over-used, the bar rips the metal off the gate of some folk's CX-9. Gas mileage sucks, the seats are very supportive, but when you wiggle them left/right, they don't seem very sturdy - I'm worried about how they react in an accident. Toyota seats while zero support, seem very sturdy.
5. What do you love about the CX-9? Handling, horsepower, 20 inch wheels, xenon lamps (gt model), 3rd row, cargo space, suspension/steering is awesome, very quiet cabin (tires help this)
6. What would you like to change about the CX-9? Biggest thing is the front passenger seat.
7. How's the ride quality (suspension, handling), and have you encountered any noise issues (internally and externally)? Ride quality is rock solid. GT model has 245/50/20 tires so you get a bit more feedback than sport or touring model. I would say though that it is much more tight and responsive compared to other vehicles in a similar category. The driver door trim panel squeaks like no other. Just driving down the road, the driver trim panel plastic rubs against the clearcoat on the doorshell and makes an annoying squeak. There is a diy thread on here for fixing that.

I have a '12 GT

I also looked at the Pilot and Highlander. The Pilot felt chintzy inside, and I didn't like the ride as much as the other 2

I went back and forth between the CX-9 and Highlander. The Highlander had a higher quality interior--nicer materials, nicer look--very Lexus like. It also drove very Lexus like. But, Mazda was giving me more for my money in features and space, and my wife didn't really love the insert thing in the middle of the 2nd row.

Yes, except (1) if the Toyota was giving a GREAT deal to unload the '13s, since the Highlander is getting re-styled, or (2) it would depend on the '14 Highlander improvements.

-Nav isn't really incredibly intuitive (but the '12 and '13 have different systems)
-Bluetooth phonebook system functionality is awful (again, may be different in '13)
-Cubbies/storage could be better--my '04 Pilot was better, especially for cupholders for the kids in back.
-There should be at least one power port in the 2nd row.

Ride, styling, size, features for the $$

I'd install a Honda nav/infotainment/BlueTooth system, and give it 3 more mpg (I average 16.8)

Ride is awesome; like night and day compared to the Pilot (1st gen, or even current). The Highlander had a very smooth ride, but not as crisp handling.

Last edited:
One more thing.... I forgot to talk about the brakes. My Passat VR6 had bigger brakes than the CX-9 and weighed 2,000 lbs less. Mazda really dropped the ball with the brakes. The front rotors are too small for such a heavy vehicle. Some folks have reported many miles, but also many others like myself have experienced premature buildup/pad transfer (also known as "warping" which is not really warping) due to overheating of the rotors. You can buy slotted, cross drilled, but at the end of the day, these rotors are plain just not big enough. You really gotta put your weight on the brake pedal to get it to stop.

I think that cross drilled and/or slotted rotors will help, and I feel like stainless steel brake lines would help too. I bought the Centric e-coated rotors, but I should have bought the cross drilled rotors.

Thanks again, guys! I heard from a Mazda Rep (corporate) that the CX-9 will be redesigned and introduced in 2014 as a 2015 model. Maybe it's worth the wait and see if Mazda addresses these concerns. I just can't get over the Nav placement and selection (Tom Tom) and the bland/dated interior.

I did check out a 2014 Acura MDX yesterday when I picked up my RL from service. I didn't drive it, but checked out the interior, the it looks amazing. Although, the fir and finish of the headliner and trims in the second and third rows are very cheap and flimsy.

helbigtw, you don't believe my source? I guess things can change, but this is what I was told. I do trust this person as I've had other interactions with him and he works for Mazda corporate and not a dealer. In any case, what he said makes sense since the interior of the CX-9 is the same as the "previous" model years' - other than the GPS.

Thanks again, guys! I heard from a Mazda Rep (corporate) that the CX-9 will be redesigned and introduced in 2014 as a 2015 model. Maybe it's worth the wait and see if Mazda addresses these concerns.

They don't usually give out this info unless it's publicly announced already--I hadn't seen that.

Last I heard, we shouldn't expect new CX9 until 2015.
This means a 2015 model released in 2014 (early or late).

Did you check the MSRP for an entry level MDX?
Why even compare?

Did you check the MSRP for an entry level MDX?
Why even compare?
I'm in the same boat as thephantom, searching for a new mid-sized SUV (trying out all the regulars). The 2014 Acura MDX has been on my list as well even though similar trim levels of the MDX are $10k more. It's a matter of finding the right car for you. The MDX has the reliability of Honda without the price gouging you get from Lexus (though, the advanced package MDX is a little out there, tech or base only for me). I'm staying away from basically anything European made due to maintenance/insurance costs.

My wife and I have both test driven the Santa Fe, MDX (2014), Enclave, CX-9, and Pilot so far. When it comes to handling, the MDX and CX-9 are both great vehicles (though the MDX has a better suspension).
  • The Highlander has a 'meh' drive and I really disliked its interior (seat layout is bad, console feels poorly designed, and it's the last model year, so tech wise it's pretty behind).
  • The Pilot has one of the most functional interiors and the drive wasn't bad (but not great), though I worry about its stopping distance and VCM noise issues I've read about.
  • I really liked the interior of the Enclave, but it drove like a large SUV (very Buick like), also it's fuel economy is pretty bad. I need to take this one for a spin again, as it was the first car we tried.
  • I liked the interior of the Santa Fe, drive wasn't too bad, and it has a lot of nice tech inside. The driving handling adjustment is barely noticeable (especially compared to the MDX's IDS settings) But I worry about it's reliability due to their history. Also, the fact that they have the 5-seaters and 7-seater under the same brand name, researching for reviews about the 7-seater is really hard (I think this is a mistake, and actually has dissuaded me from really researching this car, which means it's fallen lower on my list).
  • The CX-9 seems like a really great car and I need to read more on it (which is why I'm now on this forum). The car handles great, nice visibility when driving, pretty good 2nd and 3rd rows, plus the cargo area is nice with the seats down. Tech features seem pretty good. Need to look more into it, but the current pricing on this car has really made it a contender for me.
  • The 2014 MDX is a pretty amazing car, it's negatives being a new model year (who knows what problems that will bring), rear visibility isn't great, and the cost ($47k for tech package). If it wasn't for the cost, I'd buy this car almost immediately (nice interior, awesome tech/safety features, really fun to drive). It's probably just a dream and I'll end up with one of the other cars on my list.

I'm working on putting all my thoughts into a spreadsheet for myself so I can really understand the differences between all these cars, and put all my thoughts/feels on these different cars into a single place for myself to evaluate them. The CX-9 is definitely a contender after doing a test drive on one.

Last edited:
If iPod integration is important to you, and it was to me, make sure you try it out thoroughly. This includes plugging iPod into the CX-9 usb port, waiting the 1-2 minutes for it to read the ipod and finally start playing the first song on the iPod. Then turn off car and wait a minute, turn it back on and watch it repeat the 1-2 minute read time and restart at the first song on the ipod again, not where it left off. Other than that I thought the 2013 CX-9 had some nice improvements over my 2008, but the ipod issues were a deal breaker for me. I ended up with a 2014 Jeep grand cherokee(don't need 3 rows of seats).

They don't usually give out this info unless it's publicly announced already--I hadn't seen that.

I used to consult at a Mazda dealership and have gotten to know the Regional Manager pretty well. This info came directly from him. Of course, the road map can change at any time, but this is on target so far.

I'm in the same boat as thephantom, searching for a new mid-sized SUV (trying out all the regulars). The 2014 Acura MDX has been on my list as well even though similar trim levels of the MDX are $10k more. It's a matter of finding the right car for you. The MDX has the reliability of Honda without the price gouging you get from Lexus (though, the advanced package MDX is a little out there, tech or base only for me). I'm staying away from basically anything European made due to maintenance/insurance costs.

My wife and I have both test driven the Santa Fe, MDX (2014), Enclave, CX-9, and Pilot so far. When it comes to handling, the MDX and CX-9 are both great vehicles (though the MDX has a better suspension).

The Highlander has a 'meh' drive and I really disliked its interior (seat layout is bad, console feels poorly designed, and it's the last model year, so tech wise it's pretty behind).
The Pilot has one of the most functional interiors and the drive wasn't bad (but not great), though I worry about its stopping distance and VCM noise issues I've read about.
I really liked the interior of the Enclave, but it drove like a large SUV (very Buick like), also it's fuel economy is pretty bad. I need to take this one for a spin again, as it was the first car we tried.
I liked the interior of the Santa Fe, drive wasn't too bad, and it has a lot of nice tech inside. The driving handling adjustment is barely noticeable (especially compared to the MDX's IDS settings) But I worry about it's reliability due to their history. Also, the fact that they have the 5-seaters and 7-seater under the same brand name, researching for reviews about the 7-seater is really hard (I think this is a mistake, and actually has dissuaded me from really researching this car, which means it's fallen lower on my list).
The CX-9 seems like a really great car and I need to read more on it (which is why I'm now on this forum). The car handles great, nice visibility when driving, pretty good 2nd and 3rd rows, plus the cargo area is nice with the seats down. Tech features seem pretty good. Need to look more into it, but the current pricing on this car has really made it a contender for me.
The 2014 MDX is a pretty amazing car, it's negatives being a new model year (who knows what problems that will bring), rear visibility isn't great, and the cost ($47k for tech package). If it wasn't for the cost, I'd buy this car almost immediately (nice interior, awesome tech/safety features, really fun to drive). It's probably just a dream and I'll end up with one of the other cars on my list.

I'm working on putting all my thoughts into a spreadsheet for myself so I can really understand the differences between all these cars, and put all my thoughts/feels on these different cars into a single place for myself to evaluate them. The CX-9 is definitely a contender after doing a test drive on one.

I have owned numerous Acura products and the quality seem to be getting worse and worse. Currently I have a 2007 RL with about 83K miles and it's been giving me problems. As much as I like the MDX interior layout, I am very leery about its quality and reliability. I used to consult at a Mazda dealership and have gotten to know the CX-9 pretty well, and this is why I am putting the CX-9 on the top of the list. Well, that and along with Consumer Reporting ranking Mazda at #3 for reliability is pushing it to the top.

I have considered a Santa Fe because of the 6-seater option. I like the fact that the second row can be equipped with two captains chairs instead of a bench. This will allow easier access to the third row and I really love that idea.

I have considered a Santa Fe because of the 6-seater option. I like the fact that the second row can be equipped with two captains chairs instead of a bench. This will allow easier access to the third row and I really love that idea.
Reading about the 2013 Santa Fe some more (LWB version is what most forums/review sites call it, for Long WheelBase version). This 6/7 seater seems to be getting quite a bit of love from the review community. Automobile mag recently did a driving test with 8 vehicles and they crowned the Santa Fe as the winner: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1306_2013_family_crossover_comparison_day_five/

The day 3 and 4 of their articles also covers some points about the CX-9 as well:
http://www.automobilemag.com/review...y_crossover_comparison_day_three/viewall.html
http://www.automobilemag.com/review...ly_crossover_comparison_day_four/viewall.html

The captains chairs are nice on the Santa Fe. My local Hyundai dealer seems to mainly carry those, and had very few bench seats available.

I would be interested to hear what Acura issues you have had, as they still seem to score well at Consumer Reports, and decent at JD Power.

As for the CX-9, my main issue with it is the same I have with the Enclave, it's just a little too long for me. Garages in my area are all built small (length wise), and fitting a 202 inch long vehicle into it will be rather difficult to do (probably need to mark the parking area so the door could close properly). Most other midsize crossovers are in the 190-194 inch range. That extra 10 inches makes a pretty big difference when trying to park it in my garage.

As for the CX-9, my main issue with it is the same I have with the Enclave, it's just a little too long for me. Garages in my area are all built small (length wise), and fitting a 202 inch long vehicle into it will be rather difficult to do (probably need to mark the parking area so the door could close properly). Most other midsize crossovers are in the 190-194 inch range. That extra 10 inches makes a pretty big difference when trying to park it in my garage.

Not to nitpick, but it's actually 200.2 inches, not 202...every inch, or lack thereof, counts!

BTW, my previous SUV was 193.4" and garage is also a tight fit. I implemented the "hanging tennis ball" method when I got my 2012 CX-9 and it works like a charm. Basically, I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling and when it makes contact with my windshield, I'm parked! To my surprise, there's even clearance to open/close the liftgate with the garage door closed!

Ask the dealer to let you borrow a CX-9 to see how it fits in your garage. If you're willing to leave your current vehicle with them and possibly sign a loaner agreement (with our insurance info), there's no reason they shouldn't let you do it.

Not to nitpick, but it's actually 200.2 inches, not 202...every inch, or lack thereof, counts!

BTW, my previous SUV was 193.4" and garage is also a tight fit. I implemented the "hanging tennis ball" method when I got my 2012 CX-9 and it works like a charm. Basically, I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling and when it makes contact with my windshield, I'm parked! To my surprise, there's even clearance to open/close the liftgate with the garage door closed!

Ask the dealer to let you borrow a CX-9 to see how it fits in your garage. If you're willing to leave your current vehicle with them and possibly sign a loaner agreement (with our insurance info), there's no reason they shouldn't let you do it.
Sorry, got it wrong, I think it's the Enclave that is 202 (201.9). And yes, I think whatever vehicle we really end up considering we will see if we can take home for an over-night test drive to see how it fits in the garage (plus so we can drive it some without a sales person around). I was thinking about doing the tennis ball trick for whatever SUV we get so we just don't have to worry about it, even if it is only 190 inches.

Back