2012 Mazda5

I Wouldn't go as far as wanting the older model's door panel b/c they would not match the existing fender lines. The new door do have some nice lines, like the upper most and lower most area. All I want is to remove the two MIDDLE creases.

Here's my 3 min rendering via Paint :D

Nice rendering. IMO, definitely better without the waves.

Yep, with the lights moved down to the rear bumper, and the waves on the side, this thing looks like it grew a size!

I still have not seen, heard, or read anything definitive on the "i-stop" smart idle system coming to North America.

I just saw a pic of the Ford C-Max that is coming to the US finally, and I can't wait to try one out. There are a few other contenders coming to the mini-minivan category that I am looking forward to seeing.

Mazda had a chance to take the ball and run on this market segment 5 years ago, I am dissappointed with their efforts. (direct)

funny, I have read a few articles on the 5, older style and this one and they refer to the interior as being cheap. I've seen a lot worse in similar or more expensive cars. I personally love the look and feel of the interior. There is not much I would change.

The issue from my perspective is that we have become accustomed to getting a lot of "stuff" and being told that we really need said stuff. Companies like Hyundai and Kia are great at that, and I'm not slamming them at all. We picked up a 2011 Kia Sportage for the wife last year and we DO get a lot for the $$. But, back in the day, we never had the bells and whistles before and we were just fine. It's nice to have the bells and whistles but when it goes wrong, we're quickly disenchanted. I'm glad the 5 is the way it is. No frills, just honest-to-goodness driving involvement. No radar cruise, no warp drive or super boost. I can live with that.

In response to the USA today review:
1. sliding doors are slow and heavy
2. The 3rd row is NOT tight for average adults
3. No EL gauges, 16" rims, no lumbar support, how cheap can you get?
4. WTF is with Mazda putting snow tires on test vehicles? The only other review of a 5 I saw was a 2010 and it also had snows. They didn't like the handling, how weird... Why would you cripple arguably its best attribute? Although it does assert my opinion that the stockers are garbage in the snow.
5. The sun visors still suck, I guess no one from Mazda read my critique
6. I thought we had 44.4 cu feet behind the 2nd row? 27.5 is a HUGE discrepancy, what gives?
7. 18.3 mpg in city driving, sounds familiar

Last edited:
In response to the USA today review:

4. WTF is with Mazda putting snow tires on test vehicles? The only other review of a 5 I saw was a 2010 and it also had snows. They didn't like the handling, how weird... Why would you cripple arguably its best attribute? Although it does assert my opinion that the stockers are garbage in the snow.

If they were the LM-25 or LM-22s, the Bridgestone Blizzak Sport Snows, the tires would perform better than the stock Toyos.

I've got LM-25s on my 5, and when I rotate them out in the Spring for the Toyos, I get depressed.

Ahh why would Mazda put snow tires on cars? Because they probably wanted the reviewer to be safe when he put the car through its paces. Having the stock toyos on during the winter would certainly return a less impressive showing. With snows (not even as good as the Blizzaks) our 5 was superb in the snow. IMO putting snows on the 5 was a brilliant move by Mazda.

Ahh why would Mazda put snow tires on cars? Because they probably wanted the reviewer to be safe when he put the car through its paces. Having the stock toyos on during the winter would certainly return a less impressive showing. With snows (not even as good as the Blizzaks) our 5 was superb in the snow. IMO putting snows on the 5 was a brilliant move by Mazda.

I'm not too sure about that considering he complained about their noise level and said they were "probably" worth it considering the inch of snow they had. I dont think an inch of snow was significant enough to bother with snow tires. It was probably plowed clear within hours and then the all seasons would be fine. I have snows on mine so I'm aware of the benefits but you have to put your best foot forward. Maybe its time Mazda just puts some better tires on this thing.

I'm not too sure about that considering he complained about their noise level and said they were "probably" worth it considering the inch of snow they had. I dont think an inch of snow was significant enough to bother with snow tires. It was probably plowed clear within hours and then the all seasons would be fine. I have snows on mine so I'm aware of the benefits but you have to put your best foot forward. Maybe its time Mazda just puts some better tires on this thing.
Snow tires are effective because the rubber compound used in them don't freeze as easily. They just also happen to have deep and wide thread patterns to help disperse snow. Since Mazda chose a winter release, snow tires is logical for safety reasons. This is a consequence of them trying to release a car too early in the year. They could have followed fall, like everyone else, and showcase the car in some nicer rubber.

my snow tires are quieter than the stock toyos.

also, it is nice to see someone notice all the things that are missing in the new model that the old one had, at least on the lesser models.

16'' wheels, harder plastic, electroluminescent instrument panel lighting, glove-box light and lock and the lumbar adjustment previous Sport and Touring models had.

Canadian Driver test drives the 2012 Mazda 5 GS with Convenience Package with 6MT, well equipped at just $22,640.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2011/01/11/test-drive-2012-mazda5-gs.htm
Follow link for LOTS of photos in the gallery.

Mmm, 6 speed.
2012mazda5_jb17-165.jpg

I just stopped at the dealer on the way home from work at 3am and saw the first 2012 Mazda 5 on the lot...its a dark charcoal sport and boy is it even uglier in person....WOW! This one had no side skirt and and no rear wing Automatic and it looks alot narrower then the older ones but I'm pretty sure its not but I stop in with my brother and he said I Know you arent trading yours in for that style. Not impressed at all...The interior looks awesome but the outside...It just isnt working

Motor Trend's review which is prob coming in next month's mag. An actual review and not a Mazda paided-off publication trying to sell their car.

http://motortrend.automotive.com/152388/1101-2012-mazda5-test/index.html

Highlights:
-five-speed automatic carries over with a numerically lower final drive, which boosts EPA highway fuel economy by one point,
-reached 60 mph in 9.1 (auto)
-quarter-mile mark passes in 17 seconds at 81.5 mph. last Mazda5 we tested in 2006 did the same job about a half-second faster, but it had a manual transmission
-new model stops 9 feet shorter from 60 mph
-Length has shrunk an inch, width has dropped 0.1 inch, and height falls 0.6 inch.
-22 pounds lighter
-third row flat, you have tons of cargo volume (27.5 cubic feet), but one less seat than the Mazda3.

Motor Trend's review which is prob coming in next month's mag. An actual review and not a Mazda paided-off publication trying to sell their car.

http://motortrend.automotive.com/152388/1101-2012-mazda5-test/index.html

Highlights:
-five-speed automatic carries over with a numerically lower final drive, which boosts EPA highway fuel economy by one point,
-reached 60 mph in 9.1 (auto)
-quarter-mile mark passes in 17 seconds at 81.5 mph. last Mazda5 we tested in 2006 did the same job about a half-second faster, but it had a manual transmission
-new model stops 9 feet shorter from 60 mph
-Length has shrunk an inch, width has dropped 0.1 inch, and height falls 0.6 inch.
-22 pounds lighter
-third row flat, you have tons of cargo volume (27.5 cubic feet), but one less seat than the Mazda3.

Are you suggesting that Mazda pays Car and Driver for positive reviews?

Those Mazda5 doors they may as well just replace since there is not way a body shop will get the curves right.

For significant damage, you'll prob get a new door, or as body shops are starting to do now is just replace the outer door panel, which comes with pre-stamped creases and all. This is will prob be the cheapest option over paying a body buy by the hour to recreate those hideous lines...

I went to autobody repair classes a few years ago. For door damage beyond what paintless dent removal can do (as in requiring paint) they just re-skin the door, as silentnoise pointed out. Nobody repairs a fender anymore either, they replace. It's way faster, and therefor cheaper, to just cut off the damaged door skin (or remove the damaged fender) and replace it with a new one, prime and paint it than it is to try to hammer out the panel, match the curves (all panels are curved) sand the panel, fill the surface, wait for the filler to cure, sand the filler, fill again, wait again, sand again, sand some more, and then paint.

I dunno, it costed my body shop $268 or so tax included to repair my fender, a brand new one was more.

Hi, first post on this forum ... just test drove the 2012 Auto GT M5 this past weekend and the ride/handling is very nice. I purchased the white GT MT and can't wait for it to arrive.

Back