2012 Mazda5

where are you getting those new/lower prices from btw? is that listed somewhere?

You can find those numbers on Autotrader, they have lots of listings for new cars. I got my 09 Touring leftover in Feb 10 for 18,200 plus taxes etc.... It had more than a few options included too. Similar savings or better can apply to 10's since there is a new model on the horizon and I negotiated with ZERO haggling

Do you think you get 08+ gas mileage? I was kinda hesitant, no pun intended, on spending $69.99 for the reflash just for the hesitation problem (the TSB isn't recognized in Canada) but it'll be worth it for better fuel mileage.

So this is how the 08+ has better fuel economy?

Mileage is a bit better with the reflash and I did not have to pay $, they are aware of the TSB and did the reflash under my warranty. But I tell you there is more oomph on the 07 before the reflash. I'm just worried about the hesitation thing.

I like the dash, in particular the little cubby hold above the glove box, and I see they changed the lights from green to red. I wonder if they will have a 6 speed manual?

Yup there will be a 6 Speed Manual. I hope Canada doesn't follow suit and offer manual on base model only. In the Mazda 6 they offer manual in GS and GT models, even if just I4 engine. I've seen quite a few GTs with manual transmissions around here.

OK, I just read that the 2011 will have a 6-speed manual transmission and will be for sale in January, 2011.

Mazda5
New: America's only mini-minivan gets a smiley face, another gear, and more power.

Noteworthy: The 5 remains the smallest minivan on the market and the only one that ups the fun-to-drive factor with a manual transmission - one that now has six gears. The 2.3 liter engine has been replaced by the 2.5 liter that's optional in the smaller 3. Plus, the 5 gets the full Nagare ("flow") styling treatment, with wind-inspired swooshes down what used to be flat flanks.

On sale: January, 2011
Base price: $19,500 (est)
Specs: 2.5L I-4, 167 hp, 168 lb-ft (est); front wheel drive

Source: Automobile Magazine ( automobilemag.com ), October 2010 issue, page 92.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/11/2012-mazda-mazda5-first-look.html

"Mazda announced today that it will show off a significantly refreshed 2012 Mazda5 at the Los Angeles Auto Show on Nov. 17."

"David Thomas - KickingTires Editor
Nov 8, 2010 12:24:00 PM
Mazda says 157 hp so that's what we're going with. It is NOT a typo."

Anyone here going to the LA Auto show??

EDIT:
"Rob
Nov 12, 2010 9:29:26 PM
I spoke with Mazda USA by phone last week. They said a couple things that aren't here: 6 speed manual and automatic; 16 inch wheels on the sport; 17 on touring and grand touring. 6 seats only (not the seven [with mini-flip-out] I was hoping for). No idle-stop. I'm interested in learn more details on the interior re-design."

If everyting is true, this model will be a big sales flop. The 2012 model is dead before it even arrives.

Last edited:
I looked around a bit for the new C-max but obviously not much is officially public. BUT, Ford has specs for the new Focus, which underpins the C-Max so you get a very good idea of what to expect (price, specs, etc.). WOW, this thing looks quite impressive in specs and pricing. Mazda is going to have a hard time in 2011-2012 or until they rollout their Sky* concepts.

Ford's new 2.0L I4 puts Mazda'2 2.5L I4 to shame, granted this is Ford's new engine vs Mazda's old block. Given their close past relationship and from what I've read on the Sky concept, I think Mazda will also be going the 2.0L I4 route but with even higher compression (14:1). This along with more focus on weight reduction should give Mazda an edge in performance and MPG, but we'll see. I think this would be the standard on 2013+ Mazda 5; I highly doubt the 2012 will have apply the Sky concept. I just hope Mazda don’t end up a dollar short and a day late.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/focus/2012/specifications/view-all/
Horsepower (SAE net@rpm) 160 @ 6500
Torque (lb. ft. @ rpm) 146 @ 4450
ratio 12.0:1
Bore x stroke (in.) 3.44 x 3.27

Last edited:
2012 Mazda5 US Specs

16in wheels for the Sport like the northern neighbors

I hope there is a popular package in the works at least

And no real changes on MPG

Attachments

• Mazda5_2012_specs_US.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
LA 2010: 2012 Mazda5 Gets New Look, Larger Engine

After the car first broke cover in Euro-spec form at the Geneva Auto Show, Mazda has finally rolled out the second-generation of its Mazda5 model at the LA Auto Show. The car’s clever packaging has yet to catch on, which is surprising when it delivers as much space as a mid-size crossover and comes with a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder engine. Oh, and Mazda has always offered the 5 (based on a version of the Mazda3 platform) with a manual transmission – how very European!

For 2012 the all-new Mazda5 gets a more swoopy design, while the engine grows in size from 2.3-liters to 2.5-liters with a total of 157-hp and 163 ft-lbs of torque. A 5-speed automatic transmission is standard on most models, with a 6-speed manual the base transmission on the Sport trim.

Mazda says fuel economy is unchanged, despite the displacement increase.

In terms of safety, the 5 comes with stability control as well as a new Brake Override Feature.

For 2012 the Mazda5 will be offered in Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trim levels. Standard features on the Sport model include 16-inch alloy wheels, power windows and door locks, power mirrors, A/C, a 6-speaker audio system, tilt and telescopic steering, remote keyless entry, a driver’s one-touch up/down window, a 50/50 split 3rd row seat and steering wheel mounted audio and cruise controls. Touring models get the 5-speed automatic, 17-inch wheels, an aero kit with rear spoiler, fog lights, Bluetooth and a leather wrapped steering wheel. The top-level Grand Touring trim then gets a power moonroof, HID automatic on/off headlights, heated mirrors, rain sensing wiper, driver’s seat lumbar, heated front seats and leather throughout.

IMG_8958.JPG

IMG_9028.JPG

[AutoGuide]

[AutoGuide Gallery]

I heard from someone who works at a Mazda dealership about the Canadian spec that the GT will lose the power assist sliding doors and the moonroof, although moonroof will be available as part of the luxury package. Manual transmission will still be available with every trim level and package.

Looking at the US spec, how does the 21/28MPG compare to the current model?

I heard from someone who works at a Mazda dealership about the Canadian spec that the GT will lose the power assist sliding doors and the moonroof, although moonroof will be available as part of the luxury package. Manual transmission will still be available with every trim level and package

Bummer

M/T is 22/28
A/T is 21/27

I heard from someone who works at a Mazda dealership about the Canadian spec that the GT will lose the power assist sliding doors and the moonroof, although moonroof will be available as part of the luxury package. Manual transmission will still be available with every trim level and package.

Best Part of the GT is those power assist doors. Awesome if you have kids.

you lucky canadians and your options.

anyways... i did see a 6 speed manual at least. i am still kinda dissapointed in the horsepower rating. maybe they wanted more useable torque for the larger vehicle.

i hope for a popular package too.

I have to say I really like it in that Red Copper Mica in the video part of that link

maybe they wanted more useable torque for the larger vehicle.

If they keep similar gear/rpm ratio in the 6MT (and now mated with the 163ft/lbs torque) it cannot really a wow, yet a decent improvement. I guess not much cash for Mazda5 R&D for this market. It is like: we Mazda HQ have the JDM, Asian and European markets figured out, and you have a 2.5L engine from the Mazda3/Mazda6, now do some magic :)

Back