2012 mazda 5 rear tow hitch installed

As far as towing with a 5 is not the hitch rating, it is the mechanics of the vehicle that concerned me. I prefer a RWD, vehicle with separate transmission and oil coolers and larger brakes. This said I have never towed less than 2000 lbs either, I own a truck that is used when I need to tow. Those days may soon end since when it is time to replace the truck something with more passenger space may be needed.

This said I have been considering a hitch for a bike rack. Sadly the rack I have would require an adapter for a class II hitch. For two kids 20 bikes how well does this work for the van? Is it worth the cost of the hitch?

True, the Mz5 is not "rated" to tow. The difference between the Curb Weight and the GVWR is the total amount of people, cargo, towing weight that the car is certified to handle. The Mz5 has about 1100lbs of capacity in this regard.

Actually, having a light duty trailer that spreads the weight out over another axle would put less strain on your car's suspension. Regardless, given the relatively low power of the car and the light duty transmission, installation of a transmission cooler is highly recommended. This would be the case whether you used the car to tow or if you opted for a roof rack and were hauling bikes, kayaks, or a loaded roof box.

Latest posts

Back