2010 Horn Replacement

ZPrice

:
2010 Liquid Silver Mazdaspeed3
I was tried of my clown face having a clown voice, therefore I decided to up the volume. Below are the steps to replace your existing clown horn.

Parts that I used:
Five feet black wire for ground
Ten feet red wire for hot
One Tap/Ground Kit
One Wire Splitting Kit (hot to horns)
One In-line Fuse Kit with 20A glass fuse
Seven 90 degree Female Spade Connectors
Three Ring Terminals (grounding)
Miscellaneous mounting hardware, I used the following:
Two angle brackets Use the brackets only
Four 7 mm x 20 mm bolts (horn mounting)
Four 7 mm nuts with lock washers (horn mounting)
One 6mm nut with lock washer (relay ground)
All parts can be found at auto parts or hardware store, pick your favorite.

2vt9q4h.jpg

1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.

2. Remove Front Bumper

3. Locate and remove existing horn. We will use the hot wire to the horn to pull the coil on the relay.

2lnenar.jpg

4. Mount the SPST relay supplied with kit. I drilled out mounting hole on relay just slightly. I also used the old horn mounting screw for this item. If your new horn does not come with a cube relay, I would suggest purchasing ($6).

5. Run hot wire from positive battery terminal (Tap/Ground Kit) to the relay (common side of open set of contacts). This can also be done thru the fuse block. I added an inline fuse (20A) to protect the relay (rated at 30A), this was probably not needed as my horns will pull about 12A. I choose to run a new line in lieu of using the fuse box to avoid giving the dealership another reason to void my warranty.

Terminal Modification
33ffcqf.jpg

Mounted View
123bakh.jpg

With Hot Wire
2uik9zq.jpg

6. Plug the existing horn signal to the relay coil input
7. Add ground wire to the relay and ground locally. There are a number of options for grounding in the area.

286wjrl.jpg

8. Run a hot wire from the relay to the area in which you will mount the new horn system. This wire will come off the back side of the relay contacts. I had two horns therefore I needed to split the hot wire. I added a splitting device inline, so I had independent hot to each horn.

Final Wiring of Relay

111qcms.jpg

Area I ran hot wire to and mounted horns

rw5i5x.jpg

9. Add mounting hardware to the new horn(s) and pre-wire the ground on the horn. Many horns are grounded through the mounting hardware, I choose to add an extra one.

2dwds1s.jpg

10. Mount the new horn(s), terminate, reconnect battery negative and test (in my case, upset the neighbors).

Top View
121sbvr.jpg

Front View
nx98qs.jpg

If you have any questions about any of the parts/materials I used feel free to PM me with your question.

Nice write-up, with the bumper on are the horns visable?

Update
You can see them at the bottom, if Z does not like them we will move them. If you look at where the horns are mounted, they can be rolled up with not problem, 10 min bumper removal, 5 min adjustment and 10 min bumper install and done.

Zman

Last edited:
this is very hard for me!!

i just got my hella supertone, but now i'm scared to install it.....

i thought it's just taking off the stock horn and plugging in the hella horn. that's it. dang

this is very hard for me!!

i just got my hella supertone, but now i'm scared to install it.....

i thought it's just taking off the stock horn and plugging in the hella horn. that's it. dang

This can be a simple switch out but you will only be able to use one of them, unless you come up with a mouting scheme for them. I am going off memory but I believe the hot wire coming to the stock horn is 20A which would handle both horns (2 horns x 66 watt/horn / 12 VDC = 11 Amps). You will just need to find a way to split the hot and that task is easy. Grounding is thru the mounting arm so mounting to the frame will ground the horn.

The reason I used the relay and new power wiring was that I wanted to front mount horns. The whole process took a little over ninety minutes and that was due to the fact that my drill ran out of power.

I also removed the bumper as I needed clear access to the front of the car and this made the mod much easier.

Zman

WOW! That is a lot more difficult than what I did. here is what I did, and it will be a LOT easier.

Materials.

1 WOLO extra loud low note horn
2x6 in. wire
2 ea. female end connectors
1 ea. male spade connector

PREP
take the 2 wires and splice one side together, using the male spade connector. That will be the side that connects to your power. use the female connectors on the other sides of the wires. it should look like this.
2010-mazda-3-how-guides

Directions

-get to your horn on the underside of the vehicle, remove the bottom skid plate to do this.

-unhook your existing horn.

-using the hardware that was included in your horn purchase, use the existing mounting plate to install both horns. connect the horns first, then connect everything to the existing wiring connector. VOILA! you now have a dual note horn!

Nice. This will probably be my first mod when I pick up my ms3, hopefully tomorrow. Horn on these things sounds worse than the stock Si horn.

Nice write up. Do you have any tips on removing the bumper cover.

Under bumper first, wheel wells second and then on top (engine compartment), set on a old sheet and put a towel between the passenger side piece and the car for protection, should take five minutes max. Get use to pulling this it makes alot of minor mods easy. If you plan on painting your emblems, this is a good time to remove the front as well as the fog light bezels.

Nice. This will probably be my first mod when I pick up my ms3, hopefully tomorrow. Horn on these things sounds worse than the stock Si horn.

I went above and beyond, you can simple disconnect the stock and add a new one, my assistant is an engineer and always goes over the top. Look at the amp ratings, the Hellas would have been below the number and I could have wired directly but the assistant was being anal. Also, plan to use the hot wire off the battery for some additional items once the AP is out.

Z

Last edited:
Under bumper first, wheel wells second and then on top (engine compartment), set on a old sheet and put a towel between the passenger side piece and the car for protection, should take five minutes max. Get use to pulling this it makes alot of minor mods easy. If you plan on painting your emblems, this is a good time to remove the front as well as the fog light bezels.

I went above and beyond, you can simple disconnect the stock and add a new one, my assistant is an engineer and always goes over the top. Look at the amp ratings, the Hellas would have been below the number and I could have wired directly but the assistant was being anal.

Z

Appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

i havent posted in forever, but here is a pic of my horns painted black behind the "smiley". sorry its so dirty
P1040679.jpg

Looks good! Sounds like a lot of work just to upgrade the horn, I'll just deal with the weak horn.

As stated before this was overkill but I could be changing this around later to something that pulls a few more amps. I know I will be relocating the relay and wiring as I have some additional plans for components in this area.

Latest posts

Back