2010 CX 9 Grand Touring service advice

I spoke to a service tech at Hamilton Mazda. He said they remove the axle to drain the transfer case fluid and it would cost anywhere from $135 to $195 depending on time it takes it remove the axle.

remove the axle ??

I've done the procedure, and all I did was remove the plug. pumped out the old oil, refilled with new oil and re-installed plug.
no axle removal involved. took less than an hour.

Are they planning to take out the whole transfer case and remove the entire faceplate cover ?
if so, $135 to $195 is a freaking bargain, cause it's A LOT OF WORK. but they will have full access to remove any sludge or debris that pumping with the electric pump can't.

only reason to remove axle is if they plan to do this in video below {remove the whole faceplate cover}, Ford Edge uses the same exact PTU.

either that or they have absolutely no idea what they are doing, I don't even think the PTU is connected to the axle, it's an add on component aft of the transmission. it's just a stupid gearbox that transfer power from the transmission to the rear diffrential. FWD CX-9 and AWD CX-9 are virtually identical except AWD has the PTU add-on and drive shaft to the rear differential.

unless they are calling the drive shaft the "axle" but taking that out won't "drain" the PTU, the PTU is a self contained "sealed unit"; it gets shipped from PTU mfg with oil inside already, the drive shaft just plugs in to some external gears, removing it won't release and drain any oil.

Last edited:
I called Hamilton Mazda and could not get in touch with a service person knowledgable about the transfer case service. I called Lester Glenn Mazda in toms river and spoke to an assistant service manager. I told him about the noise and he said I know exactly what you are talking about. He immediately offered to replace the transfer case under warranty. I asked him if he was familiar with the high failure rate in the transfer case and he said that he was aware. Then he offered an explanation about the failure. He said it had to do with uneven tire wear. I was pretty stunned at this explanation because it was basically saying the owner was at fault for not rotating tires on a vehicle. I have an appointment on Wednesday to replace the transfer case and the control arms under the recall.

Njsarge,

Does Lester Glenn Mazda offer the transfer case service? It's near my workplace, I might get it done there if price is reasonable.

Njsarge,

Does Lester Glenn Mazda offer the transfer case service? It's near my workplace, I might get it done there if price is reasonable.

I am going tomorrow to drop off my cx 9 for the transfer case replacement. I will talk to the service tech and ask.

Njsarge said:
How much did the service cost you? Were you happy with the service? I was planning to take my cx 9 there for the transfer case service.

I read the same thing as you on their website and called them and spoke to their service manager who was very nice and assured me over the phone that they could do this TC service... finally got an appointment and drove all the way there. Well, after they brought it in and put it up on the lift, guess what? They only do the this service on the CX-5!!!

I basically complained about the trouble they caused me coming all the way out there and eventually convinced them to attempt to service the TC as per Avidien's instructions which I printed out. They claimed they didn't stock the correct fluid, but eventually found some, charged me about $50 for it and only used a TINY amount and didn't offer me the remaining fluid to keep for next time (forgot to ask). The tech was very helpful and willing to try the service after they rigged together some kind of vacuum hose small enough to fit in the TC fill plug. The problem was that once they began the work, they wouldn't let me stay in the service area and I couldn't tell what they actually did in the end. Note, that I have never smelled burnt TC fluid or have seen any signs of leaks from it to date (knock on wood) and I know it was never serviced before this attempt.

Also, IF I ever try this again at a dealer, I would be sure to bring all of the fluids and parts as outlined in Avidien's write-up with me to the dealer and explain how, where and why to use it!

Also, IF I ever try this again at a dealer, I would be sure to bring all of the fluids and parts as outlined in Avidien's write-up with me to the dealer and explain how, where and why to use it!

good idea Reggie, also I've read some forum members just bring the parts and oil to their local independent auto shops to get it done, I believe they cost less than dealers and they are easier to work with and are more understanding.

It's also easier to see what they are doing since the view is not as restricted than the dealer's maintenance bays behind the service counter.

Got my vehicle back today. Noticeable difference much smoother acceleration and no whining noise. Not holding my breath though.

Got my vehicle back today. Noticeable difference much smoother acceleration and no whining noise. Not holding my breath though.

nah, you're good to go, I had the same exact whining sound symptoms like you, after replacing the PTU,
I've had no issues at all for close to 4,000 miles now after replacing the PTU,
I plan to maintain the PTU from now on every 6,000 miles.

nah, you're good to go, I had the same exact whining sound symptoms like you, after replacing the PTU,
I've had no issues at all for close to 4,000 miles now after replacing the PTU,
I plan to maintain the PTU from now on every 6,000 miles.

I am doing the same thing.

I have just joined "Mazda247" and would like to know how to refill transmission without a dipstick tube. Have you done this? Do you know where "Fill Level" plug is?

What type of battery do you use with the pump on avidiens post about changing the fluid in the transfer case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I wasn't sure if it would reach. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if it doesn't reach can always use insulated 12 gage wire (Home Depot sells them by the foot, it's cheap)
connect pump alligator clips to 12 gage wire (make sure red doesn't touch the ground, wrap with electrical tape)
then connect wires to CX-9 battery

or

easier way is to pop the hood and look for a clear line of sight to the ground and use a grabber
and grap the pump connector wires and feed it thru the engine bay and connect direct to battery it should be long enough,
the pump wire is "coiled" to stretch to about double it's unstretched length

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Back