2010 CX 9 Grand Touring service advice

Njsarge

:
2010 CX-9 Grand Touring
Purchased a 2010 CX 9 Grand Touring with 35k on it. Trans seems to shift fine, I do notice a slight whining noise when down coasting from speeds above 45 mph. Was not overly concerned about it until I read some of the posts on this forum about the trans problems on these vehicles. I had an 05 odyssey with 157k with no trans issues had it serviced every 30k. I need this vehicle to last. Was planning on having trans serviced at dealer and transfer case serviced as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Do it. Start with service now before things get bad. Especially with a transmission - once bad you're done for.
They may not service the t-case since these are supposed to have lifetime fluid. But there is a good write up in how to change it.

Purchased a 2010 CX 9 Grand Touring with 35k on it. Trans seems to shift fine, I do notice a slight whining noise when down coasting from speeds above 45 mph. Was not overly concerned about it until I read some of the posts on this forum about the trans problems on these vehicles. I had an 05 odyssey with 157k with no trans issues had it serviced every 30k. I need this vehicle to last. Was planning on having trans serviced at dealer and transfer case serviced as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

"whining noise when down coasting" whining noise is a symptom of transfer case,
I had this but ignored it, a month later my transfer case literally seized. wished I had known about the transfer case maintenance prior to failure, I would get it serviced or do it yourself asap, I didn't find out about this until after my transfer case was replaced under warranty and I googled and came across this forum. Now I'm changing transfer case oil every 6,000 miles.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

Last edited:
Wow great information in that thread. Not something I want to do myself. Wish I knew this info prior to buying this car because I would not have even considered it. Will be contacting the dealer I purchased it from to make them aware of the problem but it is not a Mazda dealer so won't be much they can do. I am going to schedule a transmission service and differential service at the local Mazda dealer and see how that turns out.

Wow great information in that thread. Not something I want to do myself. Wish I knew this info prior to buying this car because I would not have even considered it. Will be contacting the dealer I purchased it from to make them aware of the problem but it is not a Mazda dealer so won't be much they can do. I am going to schedule a transmission service and differential service at the local Mazda dealer and see how that turns out.

Be careful when you go to Mazda dealership, they will play dumb and try to convince you that the transfer case is sealed
and can't be serviced and that oil is lifetime and shouldn't be changed yada, yada, yada...

Mazda did extend the warranty for transfer cases to 90,000 miles but it's better to not wait till it fails
because it may take out the transmission with it which is not covered by the 90,000 miles warranty.

I see that you are in NJ though, I recall a forum member here also in NJ found a Mazda dealer that does perform the transfer case maintenance service, not sure how much though, they usually run around $99 to $129 I think.

Last edited:
They offer differential service for $149. I planned on calling them to see how they perform the service. Is there anything online detailing the extension of the warranty to 90k?

They offer differential service for $149. I planned on calling them to see how they perform the service. Is there anything online detailing the extension of the warranty to 90k?

Please don't be confused with the rear differential from the front transfer case.
ALL MAZDA dealers offer the scam $149 rear differential oil change, it's so easy to service, there's a drain plug and fill plug

see here: http://freeonlinecaradvice.com/uncategorized/mazda-awd-cx9-im-changing-the-rear-differential-fluid-on-a/

The rear differential is hardly ever used at all only when the AWD kicks in, if anything that should be lifetime oil. Where as the front PTU spins ALL the time no matter what, and the oil breaks down over time.

The Front PTU (transfer case) is the major problem with CX-9 AWD and causing failures and that's the one Mazda calls lifetime oil and doesn't offer it as a standard service maintenance.

Last edited:
Where can I get that washer that they are talking about for the fill plug? Is there a part number for this washer?

The service menu said front differential service for $149

Ah, I see, I guess you'll have to ask, the service menu is usually for various models across the board, just make sure they offer it for the CX-9, I recall in the thread that a dealer also told a fellow CX-9 owner that they offered it and come appointment day and the CX-9 is already on the lift; the service manager comes back and says the CX-9 PTU is not serviceable because there's no drain plug only a fill plug.... he got confused with the CX-7.

Last edited:
I found the thread that mentions a Hamilton Mazda in Hamilton nj that supposedly did the transfer case fluid change. Will be calling them to see what they charge and what the service entails.

Where did you get that link? I read the article and looks like some kind of spam article.

I called Hamilton Mazda and could not get in touch with a service person knowledgable about the transfer case service. I called Lester Glenn Mazda in toms river and spoke to an assistant service manager. I told him about the noise and he said I know exactly what you are talking about. He immediately offered to replace the transfer case under warranty. I asked him if he was familiar with the high failure rate in the transfer case and he said that he was aware. Then he offered an explanation about the failure. He said it had to do with uneven tire wear. I was pretty stunned at this explanation because it was basically saying the owner was at fault for not rotating tires on a vehicle. I have an appointment on Wednesday to replace the transfer case and the control arms under the recall.

I called Hamilton Mazda and could not get in touch with a service person knowledgable about the transfer case service. I called Lester Glenn Mazda in toms river and spoke to an assistant service manager. I told him about the noise and he said I know exactly what you are talking about. He immediately offered to replace the transfer case under warranty. I asked him if he was familiar with the high failure rate in the transfer case and he said that he was aware. Then he offered an explanation about the failure. He said it had to do with uneven tire wear. I was pretty stunned at this explanation because it was basically saying the owner was at fault for not rotating tires on a vehicle. I have an appointment on Wednesday to replace the transfer case and the control arms under the recall.

Uneven tire wear is much more likely to be a symptom of a larger problem, not the cause! If it was the owner's fault for not rotating the tires (regular maintenance), they wouldn't have extended the warranty to 90k miles...

The Maintenance Schedule in the Owner's Manual claims that the transmission fluid is "lifetime". But I just had mine changed for the first time at 58k miles. I plan to do it every 30k miles from here on. My CX-9 is FWD, so I don't have to worry about the issues with AWD, thankfully. But I hate it for those of you who do. Maintenance is the key, even if the owner's manual/service schedule doesn't 'require' something.

Uneven tire wear is much more likely to be a symptom of a larger problem, not the cause! If it was the owner's fault for not rotating the tires (regular maintenance), they wouldn't have extended the warranty to 90k miles...

The Maintenance Schedule in the Owner's Manual claims that the transmission fluid is "lifetime". But I just had mine changed for the first time at 58k miles. I plan to do it every 30k miles from here on. My CX-9 is FWD, so I don't have to worry about the issues with AWD, thankfully. But I hate it for those of you who do. Maintenance is the key, even if the owner's manual/service schedule doesn't 'require' something.

I thought his explanation was pretty ridiculous.

I called a Mazda dealership in Delaware and the rep basically said the same thing when I asked about getting it serviced. "Uneven tire wear", it's a sealed unit etc. I was just curious what they would charge to change the fluid but seems most dealerships don't even offer it.

I am going to ask when I bring it in for the transfer case replacement if they service the transfer case.

I spoke to a service tech at Hamilton Mazda. He said they remove the axle to drain the transfer case fluid and it would cost anywhere from $135 to $195 depending on time it takes it remove the axle.

Back