2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring Horn Problem

Vikinghawk

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Hello:
I just started having an issue with the horn going off once or twice usually when turning in either direction. It only happens every once in a while, but just last night while I was in bed the CX-9 was in the garage, the horn went off continuously until I woke up, ran downstairs, grabbed the key fob and turned the ignition to ACC, then lock again. I then opened the hood and pulled the horn fuse. What would cause this? Is it an alarm issue, or just a horn issue? The lights did not flash and the sound was continuous, so I am thinking it is not an alarm issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Agreed, it doesn't sound like the alarm. It sounds like a short in the steering column. I don't know about the CX-9 specifically, but many cars use a groud ring in the steering column for all the electrical circuits running through the column. Are you having issues with any other circuits controlled by switches on the steering column? If yes, I'd suspect an intermittent ground ring connection. If not, I'd suspect a short in the horn wiring somewhere in the column.

My first guess would be your clockspring needs to be replaced.
How to do this
1) disconnect your battery
2) unplug airbag, remove steering wheel
3) replace clockspring

Welcome to the forum!
Hope you figure it out.

Well, no idea on how to do that stuff. Is there some instructions out there somewhere I can download or something? I just don't to mess something else up. :)

Back