2008 Mazda 3 s Hatchback 2.3l, CEL with Corksport Power Series SRI

Kevo89

:
Mazda 3 s Hatchback 2.3l
Around a month ago I purchased Corksport's Power Series short ram intake for my 2008 Mazda 3 S Hatchback 2.3l. for my first upgrade. For about two weeks things seemed good and the intake was working nicely. Out of nowhere my CEL comes on with the code P2177 for those of you who are not familiar with that one it is running lean off idol, MAF malfunction, large vacuum leak. So naturally I went with the easiest thing I could think of and checked out my MAF sensor and it was pretty dirty. So I cleaned it and popped it back in and the light went off...for about 150 miles. So then I dug deeper and did a smoke test to find a vacuum leak, nothing, cleaned my throttle body, fuel rail, throttle plates, idol control motor, and even my purge valve. Had to buy a new MAF sensor because I broke it taking it out of the SRI. I even hooked it up to my friends snap on diagnostic reader and he couldn't really explain why I was getting the code, he thought if anything the ECU was not dealing well with the new found air and wasn't adjusting well and in turn shooting the lean code. After resetting the CEL after all that cleaning, testing for vacuum leaks and diagnostics the Mazda made it about 30 miles and it came back on. I went home and put the stock air box back in and the code hasn't showed up even after around 300 miles. Now I have been in contact with Corksport and they haven't had any advice for me as of yet (there customer service is amazing at corksport). They claim though that you will not get CEL's from that intake. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions into this or if they have ever heard of anything similar. I am not an expert by any means and could use whatever help I can get.

There was a similar issue with C5 Corvette Z06s when their owners installed a Halltech Stinger intake with massive air filter. Non-Z06s (like my coupe) were unaffected. It turned out that Z06 MAFs do not have a laminar flow honeycomb plate. The lack of this plate caused high air turbulence, and the ECU could not adjust A/F adequately. Thus, a lean code would pop up. (C5 Corvettes had code display ability from the factory.)
The solution was either to tune engine to adequately adjust A/F or less expensively, install a laminar airflow plate in the MAF housing.
Now tuning is seldom inexpensive, so that would be my last choice. Maybe you could come up with your own laminar flow honeycomb. It would need to be a minimum thickness of say, 1/4", but that's just a guess; it's been a while since I saw one, up-close.

I doubt it is the greater air flow that is the problem because there is not an increase in air flow unless you are running wide open. I suspect, as concept stated, it is a laminar (think uneven or turbulent) flow issue across the MAF sensor. Uneven air flow is probably causing the issue.

Solution? Well, if nobody else has it, and you already replaced the sensor once.... You could try the airflow plate, or keep the OEM air box.

Corksport put in an airflow plate inside the maf housing for this intake for that reason. Really don't know what else to do. Is it worth getting a tune to fix the problem? I don't even know of any shops that tune mazdas in my area.

Can ask Corksport if they can give you contact info for customers who bought the same intake system? If others with the same make and model have that system and are not experiencing any isses, there's GOT to be something different about your car.

I doubt they would give that info out but I will give it a try. Can I get a tune to get rid of the cel so the computer knows that these conditions are okay?

It did work for Z06s, so it'd be worth it to at least track down a tuner to see if it'd work for your car.

Back